PDA

View Full Version : cutting height question

Ray Zorback
05-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I am a homeowner in the market for a zero turn mower to save time. My yard is about 4 acres and fairly smooth.(I brought a demo home and had no problem going 8 mph) We have a 7 acre pond which is home to several snakes, so my wife insist on cutting to 1" or less. Most zero turn mowers list their lowest cutting height at 1.5 inches. My question is: Can the decks be adjusted down another 1/2 inch? Thanks in advance.

Ray Zorback
05-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I forgot to mention I'm looking at commercial ZTR's. Scag, Hustler, Exmark, Badboy, & Toro all have dealers close to me.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
05-10-2007, 06:58 PM
All should mow down to 1"

nmurph
05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
what kind of grass are you cutting? that should dictate the level that you cut at, not the paranoid delusions of the fairer sex.

leejp
05-10-2007, 08:47 PM
We have a 7 acre pond which is home to several snakes, so my wife insist on cutting to 1" or less.

How does this help? Idea is that the snakes can't hide underneath the tall grass?

LarryF
05-10-2007, 09:06 PM
All should mow down to 1"

I don't believe that's true for all. My Exmark Lazer Z goes down to only 1.5 inches, but I've never set it that low and I'm sure I never will.

cranesrule
05-10-2007, 09:33 PM
If you are looking at Hustlers I can strongly reccomend Pro Motors in Russelville. Robert will take good care of you, and he beats the crap out of the Little Rock/Bryant/Jacksonville dealers on price.

unit40
05-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Cutting an inch or less is really more of a job for a reel mower. A rotary would really need a full length roller under the deck to safely cut that short...under an inch anyway.

prostriper
05-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Cutting an inch or less is really more of a job for a reel mower. A rotary would really need a full length roller under the deck to safely cut that short...under an inch anyway.

I would have to agree here. Cutting that short with a rotary mower, especially with a commercial grade Z is somewhat dangerous. Even with a timecutter, Toro's homeowner series. There is alot of vaccum under the deck that will pull up any small particles or pebbles that may be there. You will also more than likely scalp at that height with a Z. And the anti scalp rollers will dig in and tear the turf during turns which can be a very tedious process without a foot lift. You would be much better with a tractor and a pull behind reel.

Check e-bay as well. Often there are smaller 80" and under reel mowers that you can pick up rather inexpensively.

Ray Zorback
05-10-2007, 11:41 PM
what kind of grass are you cutting? that should dictate the level that you cut at, not the paranoid delusions of the fairer sex.

Mostly bermuda.

Ray Zorback
05-10-2007, 11:44 PM
How does this help? Idea is that the snakes can't hide underneath the tall grass?

She has came close to stepping on one and wants to see them. However, since I started mowing to 1" with my lawn tractors we haven't had any around the house.

Ray Zorback
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
If you are looking at Hustlers I can strongly reccomend Pro Motors in Russelville. Robert will take good care of you, and he beats the crap out of the Little Rock/Bryant/Jacksonville dealers on price.

Thanks, I will give him a call. I just noticed the mini z specs say it will mow to 1".

unit40
05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
National makes a somewhat inexpensive triplex reel mower, as well as golf equipment from Deere and Jacobsen. Some of these have rear tricycle steering which makes them very maneuverable and they have hydrostatic derives and all-wheel drive too.

nmurph
05-11-2007, 08:56 AM
The grass is not you problem with snakes, it's the 7 acres of water that you have on you property. small animals and birds are attracted to the water and it is a natural ambush point for them.
i don't have any experience with bermuda, except knocking huge chunks up with sticks on sunday afternoons, but 1 inch does not sound like good cultural practice to me. i will certainly listen to someone that has more experience than i do with bermuda.
i don't think this homeowner wants the hassle of having to keep the blades on a reel mower sharp.
a Hustler Mini z would be an excellent choice, size-wise.

chuckcintron
05-11-2007, 09:36 AM
She has came close to stepping on one and wants to see them. However, since I started mowing to 1" with my lawn tractors we haven't had any around the house.

To bad it's illegal to import mongai into the USA -- they do a great job of keeping snakes under control, and are trainable.

You could always hire Ted Nugent.

-Chuck

nmurph
05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
the plural of mongoose is mongooses, not mongai or mongeese!! what he needs is a good hawk!!!!!!!!

chuckcintron
05-11-2007, 10:26 AM
A trained hawk would be excellent as well.

Yes, 'mongai' is linguistically correct, but 'mongooses' has become so widely used as the plural form that it is now the accepted, correct form. I guess I need to get with the times :hammerhead:

nmurph
05-11-2007, 11:03 AM
i can't find mongai in oxford's or webster's dictionary. i also searched for mongai as an archaic or obsolete listing. mongoose is from an indian language. words that follow the pattern that you suggest are usually of latin origin.

Uranus
05-11-2007, 11:34 AM
so my wife insist on cutting to 1" or less.

And you listen? Whats the big deal over half an inch?

Some mowers you can put a spacer between the blade and spindle, and others you can play with the chains that hold the deck. Honestly for half an inch I wouldnt waste my time adjusting anything. I would take a day off from work and play a game I call "Mulch the snake". Yep yep thats what I would do.

Ray Zorback
05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
And you listen? Whats the big deal over half an inch?

Some mowers you can put a spacer between the blade and spindle, and others you can play with the chains that hold the deck. Honestly for half an inch I wouldnt waste my time adjusting anything. I would take a day off from work and play a game I call "Mulch the snake". Yep yep thats what I would do.

Honestly, since I have been mowing at 1" (about 5 yrs now), I like it that short. Also I have read several articles on the web that say bermuda should be cut to 1". Example...

Bermuda grass is a creeping turfgrass with deep roots, and is a very popular warm season grass found all over the southern part of the United States. It is a medium to fine textured turf that spreads by surface and by underground runners. It does best cut short. Bermuda tolerates heat and drought very well. However, if it gets too dry, it will typically turn brown or yellow and go dormant. It also tends to go dormant if the temperatures stay below 50 degrees, and also goes dormant if there is too much shade.

Mow Bermuda grass between 1/2 to 1 inch.

Anyway, thank you for finally addressing the actual question of can the deck be adjusted.

nmurph
05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
yeah, sorry if we've hi-jacked your thread a few times. just a bunch of ADD know-it-alls. it's like having a baby, you push and squeeze and sooner or later the answer to your question will pop out! hang around and you will see we are like family, we just love a good argument.