PDA

View Full Version : PG Clutch

sclawndr
05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm leaking oil at a pretty good clip apparently from my clutch. It started small but has grown the past few days and I lost forward movement pretty quickly. It's not the tranny as the leak is above that. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Pat at PG tells me the gear reduction unit can't be replaced without also replacing the engine. Nothing like spending $800 and tearing equipment apart when you're busy, right?

heritage
05-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm leaking oil at a pretty good clip apparently from my clutch. It started small but has grown the past few days and I lost forward movement pretty quickly. It's not the tranny as the leak is above that. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Pat at PG tells me the gear reduction unit can't be replaced without also replacing the engine. Nothing like spending $800 and tearing equipment apart when you're busy, right?

Are you covered under warranty?

I know how you feel....Lost 5 days a week ago with having to replace the engine in my truck......@ the busiest time of course :) ..... Ran Perfect all winter when wasnt hardly used....the slow/no season.

Cocca Occurs,

Pete D.

Forever Green Lawn
05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
If you're not under warranty, you may want to check with a local engine shop to see if they can replace the seals on the gear reduction unit. I'm sure parts can be had from someplace. Maybe check here:
http://www.m-and-d.com/index.html?id=5xocJbUu
https://secure.netreach.net/j-thomas/orderonline.html

americanlawn
05-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Our Ultras have lots of hours on them, and they use a dry clutch (no oil there). So far no oil leaks. We use synthetic 10W-30.

Forever Green Lawn is more help than me on this. We take our difficult PG repair jobs to Tri-State Toro (a Toro mower dealer). Our local LESCO refers them.

indyturf
05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I guess your talking about the Magnum wet clutch? check out the small engine warehouse, I got the engine w/wet clutch for under $500. I bought a couple of them so if I have a engine problem I can take the engine off and take it to a small engine shop and not have down time.