PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys get rid of used oil?

Vikings
05-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I usually just fill a 2 litre bottle and put it in the trash but I'm starting to produce copious amounts with more machines, even considering changing the oil in my trucks and car... I don't want to hurt the environment.

I thought someone once told me to give it to a garage but I'm not so sure I can do that here.

ChadsLawn
05-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I take mine to Advanced Auto Parts..

Restrorob
05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^Ditto.....

Fasttrack237
05-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I know here in Illinois - and i think its nation wide - there is a law that says if you change oil you also have to take used oil. Not that exact verbage of course, but basically any place that does oil changes has to recycle oil you bring in, whether or not your a customer. Mine goes to Pep-boys.

RossP
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
i put it in an old sprayer and use my compressor to spray it all over the undercarriage of my trucks... keeps the rust off all the brake lines through the winter!!

ltlm
05-10-2007, 07:19 PM
walmart takes it

Bill Kapaun
05-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I can put it in a milk jug and leave it for curbside recycling.
I know at least SOME local auto parts stores also accept it.
I doubt my local Safeway does.

khouse
05-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I give it to our school that heats the bus barn with it.

Vikings
05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I know here in Illinois - and i think its nation wide - there is a law that says if you change oil you also have to take used oil. Not that exact verbage of course, but basically any place that does oil changes has to recycle oil you bring in, whether or not your a customer. Mine goes to Pep-boys.

Thanks, I got off my butt and phoned Canadian Tire and they actually do accept used oil.

Thanks for the nudge.

on a related note, last time I had an oil change at Canadian Tire they only put enough oil for a 4 cyl. engine in my 6 cyl. Ranger:laugh: noobs.

Dirt Digger2
05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
i dont know how much oil you plan on changing but at our shop we have a big drum...300 gallons i think...maybe more, that we dump all our oil in then a oil recyling service comes and takes it...then again we are changing a lot of oil with 5 big trucks, 5 powerstroke trucks, and a bunch of heavy equipment

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Walmart takes it, no charge

Mic_bug
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I give it to our school that heats the bus barn with it.

ditto ..

great heat source if you have the right furnace.

capelawncare.com
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
take it down to beach and pour it into the gulf..... LOL

KS_Grasscutter
05-10-2007, 10:51 PM
I have done numerous things with oil in the past, and kinda freaks me out thinking how damn bad that is for the environment. Now what I am doing is putting it into jugs and taking it to the hazardous waste area at our local landfill when I take clippings out there.

murray83
05-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Anyone heating their homes with it?

In this age of high heating costs I'd be interested in hearing if anyone heats this way.

topsites
05-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Some of the used oil I fill up in handheld sprayer bottles and use it like Wd-40, works great (but I do run synthetic oils, dunno if it matters). Oh yeah, loosen rusted bolts, etc (thou in serious cases, liquid wrench). This has considerably cut my cost on wd-40, even buying wd-40 by the gallon and using it sparingly gets expensive in comparison. It's a great lubricant, used oil, for low-speed applications like gate hinges, squeaky wheelbarrow wheel, etc.

Some I use to spray down (cover lightly) equipment that is going to sit for some time, helps protect it.

I also use some used oil for mower blades, after sharpening, I wipe them down with a rag soaked in used oil - This keeps them from rusting after I put them on the mower (more so if the mower sits for a few days before use, but even overnight).

As for the rest, the bulk goes to Advance, I use an older 5 gallon gas container where the spout leaks, since I can't pour with the spout, but it works for recycling... The 5 gallon can holds the oil until it's full, then I have to take it in.

Anyone heating their homes with it?

In this age of high heating costs I'd be interested in hearing if anyone heats this way.

Yeah, me too!

I can tell you what does not work :laugh:
Seriously, I have a kerosene heater, and at one point I tried mixing something like 90% kerosene and 10% used oil - That doesn't work!

Grassmechanic
05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
You have TSC (Tractor Supply Co.)stores in Canada. They take up to 5 gallons (19 litres for you canadians) at a time.

DiyDave
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I've thought of buying a wast oil furnace for the shop, but that's about 5 grand, so what I do is to soak old, really porous firewood with it, and use it to start the fire in the shop woodstove. Also use it to start the burn pile in the pit. When I was younger, we used to have this prick neighbor, every time we could We would pour just a little under varying locations under his car. When he'd get it fixed we'd do it again!

twj721
05-13-2007, 11:25 PM
either take mine to the local auto parts store or to the bus barn where I drive a school bus or save it and use it to start a burn on our leaf and limb burn pile

Mark in MD
05-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Montgomery County, Maryland takes used oil at the Shady Grove Transfer Station.

parkmaster
05-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Most of the landfills have a recycling area that take used oil. I know that the Millersville landfill, Anne Arundel Co. takes used oil.