PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150 or Dodge Ram

Jake's Lawn Service
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Just trying to figure out what truck I am going to buy this summer when I turn 16:) so just wanted some advice. It will be used for part-time lawn cutting and for recreation. What do you guys think? 2007 Dodge Ram or 2007 F-150? Lease or buy or even find a used one?
Jake

JRS Landscaping
05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
i wouldnt lease because in the end you wont own anything and if you mess anything up working with it they are goin to charge you for it. id go used considering it is your first truck

supercuts
05-11-2007, 05:57 PM
hmmmmm, i think its down to personal prefferance. i like fords, but there gas engines suck. after a few years they have exaughst leaks and run like crap. speaking of sucking is dodge with the way they suck gas. flip a coin or find the better deal

Midwest Lawn Services
05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Don't buy either!!! Buy a Chevy Silverado or a GMC Sierra!!!!!!!:clapping:

stuffdeer
05-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Your 16. Take my advice and get something older. Wait til you see insurance on a 2007.

Jake's Lawn Service
05-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I looked into insurance and it is about $160/month on a new truck.
Jake

Midwest Lawn Services
05-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah, 160/month under your PARENTS insurance! When I bought my first vehicle, I insured it ALL BY MYSELF! Its a good way to learn to be responsible and have some pride, which in my opinion is something that is lacking in todays adolecents! You can learn to be much more sucuessful and frugal by doing things for yourself, not receiving things on a silver platter. I agree with previous posts...get an older "rig," pay for it yourself, insure it yourself, and build your business and self worth from the ground up...the old fashioned way! You'll be much more sucessful if you have to think for yourself, and not let someone else do the thinking for you.

Rizzo
05-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Doesn't Ford have 0% for 60 months right now? Unless you are paying cash, using someone elses money for free is the best deal. I am biased also as I have an 04' F150 supercab 5.4 4x4. And the newest 5.4 is a great engine for a light duty full sized truck. It's not supposed to be a semi tractor. I like the silverados also but I have not heard about the financing on them. Never had good luck with Dodge. Good luck!

And where did he say mommy and daddy are paying for anything?

stuffdeer
05-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Doesn't Ford have 0% for 60 months right now? Unless you are paying cash, using someone elses money for free is the best deal. I am biased also as I have an 04' F150 supercab 5.4 4x4. And the newest 5.4 is a great engine for a light duty full sized truck. It's not supposed to be a semi tractor. I like the silverados also but I have not heard about the financing on them. Never had good luck with Dodge. Good luck!

And where did he say mommy and daddy are paying for anything?

He never said anything about that. But if you ever priced insurance on a 2007 for a 16 year old, you better know its way higher then the 160 he said. Heck, for full coverage on my S-10 per month, it's over 300. And thats a 2000!!!

Thats why I'm buying a 1990 F-150 or 250....

Rizzo
05-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I am 35 now but when I was young I paid for my own insurance and cars even though it was under my parents policy (which most kids don't have the choice). Don't read into peoples posts. All he asked was which truck. I'm sure he is well aware of the costs involved as are his parents.

cm82pa
05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
If you plan on doing this full time in the future or anything that involves hauling get a 3/4 ton. Thats first. When I was sixteen I bought a 71 f-250, nothing pretty. It had a straight six and a four speed. It wasn't fast but it pulled. You always have to plan ahead. Right now I have a 2500 dodge with a diesel. I bought when I was in 04 to pull my 05 Bass Tracker I was planning to buy. I bought that and yes it was overkill for that boat. But I knew later I waould have a bigger boat, so when I bought my 21 foot bass boat I was ready. Now I started my own lawncare business and still have the same truck. Now I pull anything from a 5x8 trailer to a 20 ton dump. Having that truck through it all has taught me to go big (with size and power) then you have all your bases covered. I know its a stretch to think like that sometimes but... its always better to be safe then sorry. Plus I think everyone here will agree when you have a truck you find friends you never knew you had. 3/4 tons have larger braking systems, larger diffs and of couse larger hauling capacities. One thing to think of.. If you save on buying a used truck that frees up more money for equipment. By the way my truck has 260000 + miles on it and still runs great.

stuffdeer
05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
With all that being said....I'd go with the F-150. Not as much power as the other, but a stronger frame and more pulling capacity.

Gimp
05-12-2007, 01:32 AM
You would go with the f-150 over the 250. Why is the frame stronger on the f-150? I thought it was an obvious that I should go with the 250, no I am confused. The 150 can pull more????

supercuts
05-12-2007, 07:25 AM
You would go with the f-150 over the 250. Why is the frame stronger on the f-150? I thought it was an obvious that I should go with the 250, no I am confused. The 150 can pull more????

the frame is stronger becuase it has a boxed frame, like the commercial says. most trucks have a frame that looks like a C when looking down it. although i like fords, i think this marketing is a joke! when is the last time you've seen a truck break a frame from towing????? or hauling?? any half ton truck is limited in hauling to its suspension and tires. you really need at 10ply tires to haul much weight.

dont forget, there is always pro and cons. in the case of a stronger frame you have more weight. more weight needs more power to get up and go. more power means more gas. more gas, more money!

Gimp
05-12-2007, 09:47 AM
So you think 250 daricek - Right?

stuffdeer
05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
So you think 250 daricek - Right?

I said 150 because the original question was Dodge 1500 or F-150...Where was a 250 even mentioned?

Scag48
05-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Why do kids buy new trucks? You don't need a new truck, it's all in your head. Buy something a couple years old. I'm still amazed at why young guys decide to load themselves into debt at such a young age. In the end, it's just a truck and something that costs about half as much would still get the job done.

Gravel Rat
05-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I have to agree why sink yourself into debt buying a new truck. For lawn work a 1/2 ton will do you why buy a 3/4 ton.

At todays standards a 3/4 ton truck isn't a heavy truck at most you can carry is 2500-3000lbs legally I use a F-450 as a daily driver.

I know with the one landscaper I know and work with the odd time he bought a old cube van and its his mowing crew truck. It works better for him he started out with a P/U truck with a camper style canopy years ago. For a area like where I'am a trailer is a big pain in the azz so if you can get it all onto one truck its better. Trying to manuever a trailer in a confined driveway is a pain and you run the chance of getting stuck. Even with a 4x4 you can have troubles dragging a trailer out of a residential driveway so you got to call a tow truck to winch you out.

Back to a 1/2 ton Ford or Dodge I personally don't like the looks of the 98 and newer F-150s. If I was going with used F-150 it would be the lowest mileage 96-97 150 4x4 with 8' bed I could find.

I wouldn't buy a srw truck that wasn't a 4x4 especailly a 2wd half ton that can get stuck on a banana peal.

I don't like Dodge trucks they are too cheaply made if I couldn't get a Ford it would be a Chev.

Rizzo
05-12-2007, 05:24 PM
As far as the comments on the frames the boxed frame makes a huge difference in ride and stability both empty and loaded. I just went from an 02 F150 with the C channel frame to an 04 F150 with boxed frame. It's night and day difference that you just don't realize until you drive them both. And as far as frame damage I have seen plenty of bent frames on all makes from when people overload them and the C channel will bend (didn't say they were smart). Just look for older trucks driving by you and see the gap of the cab and box narrow at the top. It does make it heavy with my supercab 4x4 hitting 3 tons empty weight on the scales. Buying new just means he can keep it longer without sinking more money into repairs. It all evens out in the end.

Jake's Lawn Service
05-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies! I still have until August to decide, but right now I will probably buy out the lease on my dads 05 F-150. They are great trucks and also my dad works for ford so we are ford people. I am just looking for a truck that will get me to school and back and also to expand a little out of my neighborhood next year when I do have my license.
Jake

lawnboy dan
05-12-2007, 10:12 PM
who is dumb enough to lease a truck? thats just money down the drain. buy a toyota tundra if you want a truck that works and makes $ -not waiting to be repaired at the dealer!

pottstim
05-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Anyone ever checked to see how thin the steel is on these "fully boxed frames"? We've got a fleet of about 15 2006-07 Ram 2500 and 3500 4x4 diesel trucks where I work. The steel on these frames seems like it is nearly half as thick as the old C-Channel frames. Granted, the new boxed frames don't flex as much and can get by with a little bit thinner steel, but I have to wonder how they will hold up for long-term heavy duty use. I may be wrong, but I see them developing stress cracks over time. These trucks at work are driven underground into a zinc mine where it is extremely rough. I'll post again in a year or so and let you know how they are holding up. One thing that has surfaced so already is the extremely thin sheet metal in the beds of the trucks. A loose fire extinguisher mounted upright on the floor of the bed wobbled long enough, which fatigued the metal. Then it ripped a hole in the floor of the bed causing the fire extinguisher to fall over like a tree. The guys in the shop pop riveted a piece of sheet metal in to patch the floor of the bed. Gotta love that Cummins engine and 6 spd tranny though!

ofr421
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I would go with the F-150, I have had too many problems with Dodge.

MTR999
05-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Spending on 20k truck mowing lawns? At 16, I would get a 95-96, F150 with 4.9L to do lawn work, those trucks with less than 100k is still in good shape and prolly last another 10 years. If you want newer, you need to get Toyota both Tundra or Tacoma will be best for your in-debt money...if you insist. Old ford is forever but not the 97 to latest, they all the same, repair frequency is insane.

stroker51
05-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I can relate to wanting a new truck as a 16 year old, but here I am at 19, still have my first truck, and a 96 F250 4x4 PSD with almost 200K miles on it, both are PAID FOR and make me money every time I use them. My 89 FSuperduty will be paid for in a month. Say waht you want about newer trucks, my grandpa has a 1999 F150 he bought brand new, and he has babyed this truck to the extremes. He has been a mechanic all his life, and taken VERY good care of his truck. My 96 has about 70K more miles on it than his truck, mind you mine is a diesel, but I have literally been out of service and had to use my backup 84 F250 once since I bought my 'stroke. The old 84 might be old and need some wrenchin from time to time, but it is cheap and easy to work on, there is no way that the payments and insurance on a new truck will "even out" with what i paid for my 84, and the parts/my time that I have put into it since December of 2002. Also, the 10mpg, loaded or empty I get with that, is within 2-4mpg of my dad's 2000 F150 when i'm pulling a trailer, and it will still walk away from it. I'd love to buy a brand new 07 F350 SRW crew cab short bed, fire engine red, Lariat, and could afford it, but I'm trying to pay off equipment, and buy a skid steer and a house in the next year, so i'm probably gonna stick with the 1996 'stroker.

Petr51488
05-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I can relate to wanting a new truck as a 16 year old, but here I am at 19, still have my first truck, and a 96 F250 4x4 PSD with almost 200K miles on it, both are PAID FOR and make me money every time I use them. .

yea mee too, but i went with the car i wanted at 17...have a truck too. not brand new(at least not yet) its a 98 silverado. Soon will become an 08 gmc sierra 2500 diesel. do what you want. its your money. I don't regret paying over 700.00 a month for a car i love to drive.

Rizzo
05-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Spending on 20k truck mowing lawns? At 16, I would get a 95-96, F150 with 4.9L to do lawn work, those trucks with less than 100k is still in good shape and prolly last another 10 years. If you want newer, you need to get Toyota both Tundra or Tacoma will be best for your in-debt money...if you insist. Old ford is forever but not the 97 to latest, they all the same, repair frequency is insane.

First off Ford does not make a 4.9L engine. Second what are you talking about insane repairs? It's good to like what you drive but lets not get crazy and start making things up about trucks you don't own. I have had an 02' and an 04' F150 and had no problems with either one and if you are not taking the hit of buying them new then they are very worth $20k for a clean low mileage truck.

stuffdeer
05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
First off Ford does not make a 4.9L engine. Second what are you talking about insane repairs? It's good to like what you drive but lets not get crazy and start making things up about trucks you don't own. I have had an 02' and an 04' F150 and had no problems with either one and if you are not taking the hit of buying them new then they are very worth $20k for a clean low mileage truck.

Sorry dude, but I have too. Until 1996 Ford made the 4.9L V6. It was probably one of Ford's Most Reliable engines. It was known to go for a good 250,000 miles.

Go down to 9th Generation and read the engine choices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-150

grassmanak
05-17-2007, 11:33 AM
i wouldnt buy either, i posted up a personal comparison awhile back on the 3 trucks. The ford is just all around terrible, no power, and terrible gas milage. The dodge was decent, except for the gas. The chevy could have used more power, but wasnt nearly as bad as the ford and i still got 15mpg in town towing my gear. If you are 18 go get commercial auto, it saved me 300 bucks a month versus regular insurance.

MTR999
05-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Dude, you are so dumb to say that Ford did not make 4.9L, how ignorant you are! holly smoke! Your 02 and 04 don't match 4.9, 300 I-6 in any way, do you know why people still drive old ford in this country, it is because the 300 and 302 engines and its super cheap to take care, insurance $30 a month, how that sounds. All lawns guy who use Ford as religion know 4.9L, You need to study before you open your mouth and show your extreme ignorance:hammerhead:

MTR999
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=1801721

BQLC
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I am a Ford person myself so I would go with the F150. as far as dodge goes the dakotas we use at work are always going to the shop

Rizzo
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Before you guys shoot your mouths off, read. I said they do not make the 4.9L. Yes, they used to but that was over a decade ago and if you also read the start of this thread the poster is asking about newer trucks. You stick to your old trucks and the rest of us will do just fine with the new ones. And, my full coverage business use insurance is under $30 a month on my 04'. Not all of us on here are kids so remember you don't know it all.

jrush
06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
go with the dodge, I gotta '03 1500 and this thing throws everything I got at
it. It hauls 2 tons no prob, I've pulled 7,000 pnd backhoes no probs.
Just plan your stops. don't buy new you lose your shirt on depreciation, get
certified, you get the same warranty as new and save thousands.

tacoma200
06-04-2007, 07:31 PM
So are you going with diesel or gas? Didn't Ford have problems with the some diesels?

Jake's Lawn Service
06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Gas. 1/2 ton pickups dont come in diesels.:)
Jake

tacoma200
06-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Gas. 1/2 ton pickups dont come in diesels.:)
Jake

Well I've driven one. Not sure they still make them. Chevy 1500 with a diesel. May have been a special order, money was not object to my boss.

extlights
06-05-2007, 10:52 PM
We've always had Fords. We have a 2004 F150 with almost 90K on it and have never had any problems....about 60k of those miles are pulling an enclosed trailer as well. As far as light duty trucks go, Ford is a good choice in my opinion....They've been the best selling light duty truck for years for a reason.

You might just want to take the advice from everyone lightly though. People are die hards when it comes to their trucks. I've known Chevy guys who have had tons of problems with their trucks, but will refuse to try a Ford or Dodge....and vise versa. I don't know why...it's just the way they get I guess. Just find what you like and go with it would be my advice.

RedWingsDet
06-06-2007, 12:52 AM
My Rule of thumb is which ever is the best deal. First off, I would get a 3/4 ton. I am GM Biased, but IMO they are all built the same,they all have problems. Again, just get which ever has the best deal, as long as its Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

Birdhunter1
06-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Rizzo you obviously aren't too old and if you are you are brainless beacuse Ford never made a 4.9L V6, until 1997 they never put a V6 in an F-150 and the 4.9L straight 6 was the best engine Ford has ever put in a vehicle. I had three of them, one with 190,000 miles before it started showing it's age and I babied it out to 200k before I rebuilt it. It was not a horsepower giant but the torque specs on it were comparable to any V8 and for a truck motor was better than the 302 V8. On the highway at 60+ mph it will not be that great but around town in stop an go traffic it is awesome. I would rather have it around town than the 5.4 in the 06 F-150 that I had.

As for the lease on a new truck.. I did it and will never do it again. I hated the fact that if I went over on miles I had to pay for them, any damage I had to pay for etc etc. If you do the lease I STORNGLY suggest the wear and tear package. I bought the package on my 06 F-160 that I just traded in (XLT supercab 4wd with the 5.4) and the $400 it cost was much cheaper than replacing the tailgate (smashed in from the inside from dropping a tractor tire on it), the tires were worn (one was bulged from either a big rock or a curb), multiple scratches and dings on the exterior (especially the tailgate), and of course the inside of the bed was one that you could tell had been used. All told the wear and tear package saved me at minimum $700.. if I would have had to replace all 4 18" tires it would have been near $1000 and I have no clue what a tailgate would have cost.

I agree with the others, get an older truck (my choice would be a F-150 or F-250 with either a 300 I-6 or 351 V8, auto trans (1/2 ton, unless it is an old one from the early-mid 80's with the granny low 4-speed manual), manual or auto (3/4 ton). 4wd regular cab with an 8' bed (under or near 100K). The 5-speed manual trans in the 1/2 tons had a very light clutchand was not rated to tow very much at all because of the weaker transmission (hence why I recommend an auto in a 1/2 ton). The 3/4 ton's with a 5-speed manual had a heavier clutch and stronger inards in the transmission. Also the older full sized trucks I recommended are almost the cheapest on insurance for a 16 year old (same truck in 2wd will be the cheapest), parts availablity is excellent (both from Ford and aftermarket, actually most parts will be stocked on a shelf at AutoZone or Napa stores), most repairs are fairly easy, dependable truck, and excellent reputation.

Rizzo
06-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Rizzo you obviously aren't too old and if you are you are brainless beacuse Ford never made a 4.9L V6, until 1997 they never put a V6 in an F-150 and the 4.9L straight 6 was the best engine Ford has ever put in a vehicle. I had three of them, one with 190,000 miles before it started showing it's age and I babied it out to 200k before I rebuilt it. It was not a horsepower giant but the torque specs on it were comparable to any V8 and for a truck motor was better than the 302 V8. On the highway at 60+ mph it will not be that great but around town in stop an go traffic it is awesome. I would rather have it around town than the 5.4 in the 06 F-150 that I had.

I'm 35 and if you read the earlier post I said he is looking for what is made currently not 10 years ago. And, Ford does make a v6 4.2 liter in an f150 and still offered it recently so please read before you mention my posts. I never said they didn't make the straight 6 so get over it.

Birdhunter1
06-06-2007, 04:55 PM
until 1997 they never put a V6 in an F-150

Hint.. read a post before quoting it in an attempt to make the author look stupid.

Rizzo
06-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Last I checked I didn't resort to name calling and was not trying to make anyone look anyway. I will leave that up to you. No where in this entire thread did I say there was such an engine as a 4.9l v6. I think the smart members of lawnsite can tell who is trying to make someone look bad on this thread without me going there.

Birdhunter1
06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Rizzo you are right, it was stuffdeer that called it a 4.9 V6, my bad on that one.... however you did say in post #27 that Ford does not make a 4.9L engine. They no longer put that engine in trucks but they do still make it and you can buy a long block ready to fit into a truck (minus intake and exhaust systems, oil pump systems and electrical systems).

Rizzo
06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm sure you are right and can still get the engine for rebuild. Thanks for your post referring to the correct quote also. I did clarify in a later post that I was referring to trucks in current production (about the 4.9 not being currently built) as the post #1 asked about new trucks or nearly new. Have a great summer!

Birdhunter1
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Sold almost all my accounts before I ever had to mow, it's been a great summer since the only mowing I have to do is my own (around a few different farms, about a day and a half's worth) and the church.

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
06-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Buy a used Chevrolet. Look at my equipment below and you will see why?

mdlwn1
06-20-2007, 06:02 PM
1 is a ford....and 1 eats gas

jrush
06-20-2007, 10:29 PM
theres no way Ford is any better than Dodge on gas. I'm sure they both equally suck in that catagory.

Jake's Lawn Service
06-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Well, the other day I picked myself up a 2004 Dodge Dakota with only 1,700 miles on it for only $15k. I will not need a fullsize truck right away because all of my jobs are in my subdivision except for a few.
Jake

TXNSLighting
06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
theres no way Ford is any better than Dodge on gas. I'm sure they both equally suck in that catagory.

fords get much better fule mileage then dodges. thats a given.

newdude
06-25-2007, 11:33 AM
i just went to ebay motors and they had a 1996 f150 reg.cab with a 4.9L V6.

TXNSLighting
06-25-2007, 03:33 PM
you mean a Inline 6. one of the greatest ford gas engines!

rfed32
06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
i would get somehting older...but not to old...a couple years old with good miles....id go under ur parents insurance it will be a lot cheaper im 20 still under my rents unsurance and will be till i buy my next truck...but i would never lease a truck...you'll go over ur aloted miles in no time...i put 20k + on my truck a year but i do a lot of drivin so i could never lease...

Rizzo
06-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Um, he just said he bought a Dakota.

Good for you Jake! Is is a quad cab with the v8? I test drove one of them and liked it a lot. It was the style before the current ones which I liked the looks of better. Pretty solid feeling for a not quite full sized truck. On of our firefighters that has a sizable lawn care biz drives a Dakota everyday and uses it in his lawn biz also. Now go make money with it!

Jake's Lawn Service
06-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks Rizzo!
It is a club cab V6 (would've rathered a quadcab V8) but when I bought it I knew it had nothing wrong with it as it looks and rides like new. Its got 1800 miles on it. I got a great deal on it for $14,500.
Jake

Rizzo
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
That is nearly a new truck with only 1800 miles on it. Why so few miles on a 3 year old truck? With Dodge you can get an extended power train warranty for like $100-200 if it wasn't a rental or fleet vehicle. I think it covers up to 70k miles on the engine and trans... check into it...