PDA

View Full Version : Weed and feed

Capemay Eagle
05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I just bought a couple of bags of Howard Johnsons weed and feed with Trimec. Has anyone ever used this brand??If so does it work well. I have always used Scott's weed and feed, but I am done with that cheap stuff. I have just decided to start dealing with this new store I recently found and just pay for the good stuff.

JTAYLORLAWN
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I USE THE TRIMEC LIQUID, AND IT WORKS AWSOME.. :weightlifter:

Capemay Eagle
05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
:dizzy: I USE THE TRIMEC LIQUID, AND IT WORKS AWSOME.. :weightlifter:

Next season I plan to use the liquid. I want to learn a little more before I buy a spayer and start laying down chemicals. I am still a novice :dizzy:

leejp
05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
This is what works for me... But I only have 1/2 acre.

I apply El-cheapo Weed/Feed around this time of the year... I've found more so than the quality of the weed/feed, timing is everything. Watch the forecast carefully and look for at least a 48hr window of sunny and warm (but not hot, below 75*F) weather. Apply early in the AM (6~7 works for me) so there's plenty of dew on the lawn still.

I mix up a Ortho or Bayer Concentrated Liquid Weed Killer in my 2 gallon sprayer. I ALWAYS have this sprayer ready to go. Over the next month or so when the weather is favorable (again sunny and warm but not too hot), I'll just walk the lawn early in the AM and hit the weeds that are left. Sometimes 2x/weekend.

Some years I skip the weed/feed altogether and just fertilize and spray (depends on the condition of the lawn). This year my pre-emergent got washed away with the big rainstorm so there are more weeds than previous years.

I think overall a healthy lawn is the best defense against weeds.

It really isn't that much work and I have one of the best the best non-retired guy lawn in the neighborhood (I spend no more than 4~5 hrs lawn maintenance and gardening per week). But unfortunately the 3 neighbors across the street (nice people) and the house behind me don't. They're to the west and that's where the winds come from. My weeds are from them.

leejp
05-11-2007, 10:53 PM
:dizzy:

Next season I plan to use the liquid. I want to learn a little more before I buy a spayer and start laying down chemicals. I am still a novice :dizzy:

I have handheld sprayers for my 1/2 acre and it's a PITA. If you're not planning one for your tractor I recommend a good backpack.