PDA

View Full Version : Changing your own truck oil???

Vikings
05-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I may start changing my own oil, I have three vehicles.

Would anyone recommend it? Ramps, filter, and oil... how hard can it be?

Is it worth the trouble or keep going to the Super Lubes?

Another thing, when a truck is up on a ramp, the vehicle is not level, will the oil still drain out?

Bill Kapaun
05-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I totally recommend it. Then you know for sure what was done and the quality level of the oil & filters.
You might not even need ramps for a truck, depending on how high it sits and filter location.
An oil filter wrench is handy too, in order to get off "stuck" filters. You MIGHT need different sizes, depending on the vehicles. You don't need a wrench to reinstall the filter. ALSO, use a BOX wrench on the drain plug(s).
Something else I recommend is to change the drain plug washer every other oil change. For my Honda, they were about 3 for a $ and I never had drips in my driveway.

ChadsLawn
05-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Not to sound rude, but if you need to ask these questions, keep taking it to the super lube.. Changing oil is a peice of cake. If your skinny enough, you shouldnt need to lift the truck at all.

sheshovel
05-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I do all my own oil changes. I don't trust those jiffylube people to do it. They tend to leave the oil plug loose.

Vikings
05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Canadian tire put oil for a 4 cyl. in my Ranger but I have a 6 cyl. a week or two later my oil light would blink on when I went around a corner.

Vikings
05-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Not to sound rude, but if you need to ask these questions, keep taking it to the super lube.. Changing oil is a peice of cake. If your skinny enough, you shouldnt need to lift the truck at all.
One of the things that was holding me back was what to do with the used oil but now I know I can take to the garage and leave it in their back compond.

Vikings
05-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I totally recommend it. Then you know for sure what was done and the quality level of the oil & filters.
You might not even need ramps for a truck, depending on how high it sits and filter location.
An oil filter wrench is handy too, in order to get off "stuck" filters. You MIGHT need different sizes, depending on the vehicles. You don't need a wrench to reinstall the filter. ALSO, use a BOX wrench on the drain plug(s).
Something else I recommend is to change the drain plug washer every other oil change. For my Honda, they were about 3 for a $ and I never had drips in my driveway.

Yeah, they always try and upsell me to more expensive oil and filters so it makes me wonder what I'm getting.:laugh: I want to use GTX oil.

About those gaskets, I suppose I should pick up some oil plug gaskets... I actually didn't even know they had them down there till I read up on it at Ehow.com.

Restrorob
05-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Along with what Bill suggested, If the filters stand straight up or close to it pre-fill the filter with oil before installing it and don't forget to put a thin coat on the seal to aid in removal at the next change.

I went to NAPA and for around $15 I bought both small and large filter wrenches as below. They are much easier to use with different length extensions/universal etc.

Also, The oil will drain just fine up on ramps.

Bill Kapaun
05-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I forgot to add:
Drain pan. A plastic "wash tub" type works fine. IF you have a diesel, make sure your drain pan is LARGE.
Funnel.

Restrorob
05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Heck, Lets go for broke....Don't forget your large tub of GO-Joe with Pumice and a couple cheep hand towels so the wife don't chew you a new one for messing up her good towels. :laugh:

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I have been changing my own oil for 20 years and I have never replaced a oil plug gasket.... No drips.......

Vikings
05-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Heck, Lets go for broke....Don't forget your large tub of GO-Joe with Pumice and a couple cheep hand towels so the wife don't chew you a new one for messing up her good towels. :laugh:

OH I'm going for broke all right. I've decided I need a 4'x8' piece of wood and a thing a ma jig that you roll on.
http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/products/images/Assortments/PrimaryAssortments/Automotive/AutomotiveTools/CreepersJacksStands/0090081_450_CC_49a41.jpg

Restrorob
05-12-2007, 08:39 AM
With a creeper like that you'll be able to take a :sleeping: while the oil drains.

Mic_bug
05-12-2007, 12:46 PM
I do all my own oil changes. I don't trust those jiffylube people to do it. They tend to leave the oil plug loose.

not to mention 'forget to lube' (assuming they know what a zerk is)...or the other they over lube till the boots burst.

I do my own now!

topsites
05-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Only thing I'd like to add, on my truck I don't jack or ramp it up, the vehicle sits high enough off the ground:
Never lift a vehicle if you don't absolutely have to.

For any other applications where you must get under it and the vehicle must be raised, I recommend a minimum 3,000 lb. hydraulic floor jack (not the bottle kind, but the one on 4 wheels).

Do NOT trust your life to scissors or bumper jacks and the like.

Midwest Lawn Services
05-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Unless you have a new truck and the dealer gives you free oil changes for so long, I thought that all of us here would be changing our own oil. Do you not change your own mower oil? Because its pretty much the same principal.:hammerhead:

Vikings
05-13-2007, 02:17 AM
For any other applications where you must get under it and the vehicle must be raised, I recommend a minimum 3,000 lb. hydraulic floor jack (not the bottle kind, but the one on 4 wheels).
I still remember a movie or tv show where a killer snuck up to a mechanic who was under a car whistling and working. The killer just twisted the handle on the hydraulic floor jack and let the car down on the mechanic. I think I also heard about another real life incident where a hydraulic jack dropped a car on a guy and cracked his sternum. I would be WAY To paranoid to crawl under a car unless it was sitting on sturdy blocks.

I might be able to get under the trucks but never the car (I weigh 269lbs.) I'm going to use ramps. Not sure about the creeper but it costs me $150 to change oil in three vehicles at super lube it might only cost me $60 now. Once I buy some equipment that is.

Can anyone recommend a good oil filter? I read about 10 micron filters reducing engine wear so I'll likely try and look for that.

I also can't find those small oil filter wrenchs, I'll have to get the big ones.

Vikings
05-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Unless you have a new truck and the dealer gives you free oil changes for so long, I thought that all of us here would be changing our own oil. Do you not change your own mower oil? Because its pretty much the same principal.:hammerhead:

Yeah I change lawn mower oil, and snow blower, Power raker, Lawn Vac BUT I HATE IT!!! I wish all mowers were like 2 stroke, just pour in oil/gas and you're good to go. I wish cars were like that too.:laugh:

Bill Kapaun
05-13-2007, 04:53 AM
More than you want to know about oil filters-
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6

You aren't going to find "conventional" oil filters that are good to 10 micron.
About 20 is the average.

This site gives some good info about filter specs.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

twj721
05-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Oil Change Instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change: .00
Coffee: .00

Total: .00

Oil Change Instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for .00.
2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for , drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
19) Remember drain plug from step 11.
20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
28) Beer.
29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
30) Beer.
31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
32) Beer.
33) Lower car from jack stands.
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
38) Car gets impounded.
39) Call loving wife, make bail.
40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts .00
DUI 00.00
Impound fee .00
Bail 00.00
Beer .00

Total ,145.00

(But you know the job was done right!)
:laugh:

Vikings
05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer,
Hold on, STOP! Hammer Time.

They sell beer at 7/11 in the states? All I can buy is a slurpee here:canadaflag:

Fieldman12
05-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I have changed oil in trucks, tractors, mowers, cars, combines, construction equipment since I was old enough to turn a wrench. Things you need, socket set, or wrench set, most likely metric for newer machines, good filter wrench, some kind of creeper unless 4x4 (not needed) good oil pan to drain oil into, 5 gallon buckets to store motor oil in,oil, fill filter up if a vertical type, most cars are not this way.

Fieldman12
05-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Forgot on some of the newer vehicles you have a reset switch to push so your oil change light does not pop on. Every newer vehicle is a little different on this, look at owners manual. Also once done make sure no leaks under car around plug or filter. Note- make sure filter has a gasket on top and that old one is removed from the base where it mounts to engine. Not hard, just takes time. Don't forget to top off all your fluids and any greasing that may need to be done.

Fieldman12
05-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I change in most vehicles every 5,000 miles now. I use to change all at 3,000. With today's prices on oil and the quality of motors and oil is so much better that earlier is not needed. I even read any article a while back where most car manufactures where saying to change ever 5,000 to 6,000 miles. Some can wait another thousand miles or two and some earlier. I would go by what the manual says and not the dealer. They like to get you in there so they can make money off ya.

Vikings
05-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Greasing? I never thought of that. I'll have to look into it when I buy a chilton manual for my trucks.

Restrorob
05-13-2007, 05:58 PM
I even read any article a while back where most car manufactures where saying to change ever 5,000 to 6,000 miles. Some can wait another thousand miles or two and some earlier. I would go by what the manual says and not the dealer.

Hmmm, No way no how I will leave oil in anything I own that long, Anything over 3000 and I get the willies.

I just ran across this little article;

Question;

When should I change my car's oil?

Answer;

According to the American Petroleum Institute, motor oil should be changed at "regular intervals" with close attention being paid to the car manufacturer's "severe service" oil-change recommendations.

Don't live or die by the car owner's operating manual.

What are the manual's "severe service" recommendations?

There will be two recommendations, one for time and one for mileage. For example: change oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Ideal Driving Conditions - If you are going on vacation and it will be putting 7,000 miles on the car, it would be a waste of oil to change it at 3,000 miles because the car will be used under the most ideal driving conditions: paved road driving at highway speeds in a dust free (we hope) environment. In this case, you can say you are the exception and are actually driving under those "ideal" conditions.

Severe Driving Conditions - If 80 percent of your driving is around town or towing a trailer or boat, your vehicle is undergoing severe service. Towing a boat or a trailer in mountain country in very hot weather is severe service, and in this case your oil should be changed every 2,500 miles.

steve45
05-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Make it easy on yourself. Get one of the Fram quick-drain adaptors to replace your drain plug. Then you won't have to worry about the threads stripping out, etc. You can drain the oil without tools at all!

lawnboy dan
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
i fear this will end badly

Darrin A.
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
The last time I took a 4X4 to Jiffy Lube (or similar), they told me they don't grease the front end due to the skid plate. They will never see one of my vehichles again. If they won't grease it, I have to. If I have to get under the car/truck anyway, I might as well drain the oil while greasing the front end and all and save a bunch of money while I'm at it.

lawncuttinfoo
05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
LMAO on 9 12 16 and 24, did u have a camera on me yesterday?

causalitist
05-14-2007, 03:15 AM
I still remember a movie or tv show where a killer snuck up to a mechanic who was under a car whistling and working. The killer just twisted the handle on the hydraulic floor jack and let the car down on the mechanic. I think I also heard about another real life incident where a hydraulic jack dropped a car on a guy and cracked his sternum. I would be WAY To paranoid to crawl under a car unless it was sitting on sturdy blocks.

I might be able to get under the trucks but never the car (I weigh 269lbs.) I'm going to use ramps. Not sure about the creeper but it costs me $150 to change oil in three vehicles at super lube it might only cost me $60 now. Once I buy some equipment that is.

Can anyone recommend a good oil filter? I read about 10 micron filters reducing engine wear so I'll likely try and look for that.

I also can't find those small oil filter wrenchs, I'll have to get the big ones.

closest i have ever found was amsoil absolute efficiency filters. 98.7% @15 micron. if anyone finds a better one let me know, but i doubt they will.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Make it easy on yourself. Get one of the Fram quick-drain adaptors to replace your drain plug. Then you won't have to worry about the threads stripping out, etc. You can drain the oil without tools at all!

I have one of these on my wife's van........it works great.... Oil drains a little slower...

Budget
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
I have a friend that owns his own shop. So he does all oil and lube on my stuff. He has good guys working for him and it is nice to have another set of eye's looking for something. For what he charges me, it's not worth it for me to even try it.

Vikings
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
closest i have ever found was amsoil absolute efficiency filters. 98.7% @15 micron. if anyone finds a better one let me know, but i doubt they will.

MY local Canadian Tire only sells Moto Master brand. They must make them or something because there is no other competition on the shelf. I found that kind of strange.

Bill Kapaun
05-14-2007, 05:01 PM
MY local Canadian Tire only sells Moto Master brand. They must make them or something because there is no other competition on the shelf. I found that kind of strange.

They are FRAM. There are actually very few filter manfs., compared to all the "brands".

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=335164&an=0&page=0#Post335164