PDA

View Full Version : Tree wiring: To staple or not to staple

Lite4
05-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Looks like you have some great discussions
I look forward to getting to know you all. My business is in Boise, ID. Anyway, I usually use standard plastic wire staples to attatch my wire as inconspicuously to a tree trunk to light my downlights from my larger trees. Has anyone run into any other type of fastening system or adhesive that works well for you. does anyone paint their wire to match the bark color so as to blend in a bit better?

Thanks,
Tim Ryan
Firefly Prof. lighting

Pro-Scapes
05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
no marrter what you use be sure its stainless so it does not rust and rot out the tree. We recently redid a job that another contractor use electricians staples into a very pretty oak. Left no slack and just use a tree strap for the mount. The light is now removed however his existing mount remains installed below our new light. His ire had grown into the tree in several places do to improper routing.

We use the cast stand off mount to help eliminate the tree growing around the mount and to attach wires we use zip ties with a hole in the end and some #10 stainless screws being careful to leave the zip ties and screws loose enough to enable growth and movement of the tree. When we install tree lights we also leave 2-3 ft of wire zip tied in a loose bundle (so it can pull apart as tree grows) up near the light.

klkanders
05-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Welcome Firefly!
I also use the zip ties with hole and SS screws (thanks Paul!). These work great in other applications as well. Yes alot of great info and good reading to be found here. Take Care!

Lite4
05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't think I have ever seen zip ties with holes. Or zip ties wide enough to put a screw through. sounds like a great idea, I'll have to do some looking around.

Chris J
05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
You can find these zip ties with the hole at the Home Depot. As mentioned above, just don't screw it all the way down. Let it stand off the tree a bit so the tree won't have time to grow around it before you service the system.

NightScenes
05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
The zip tie is truly the best way to attach wire to the tree. Another good thing about this method is that when you come in to do the maintenance, you just give the screws a quarter turn out to allow for tree growth. A tree will grow around a staple and the wire in no time, then you have a real pain to deal with.

Lite4
05-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys I guess that method for attatchment hasn't made it west of the Rockies until now. I'll definitly try it. I have 6 and 12 month maintenance contracts, easily enough time to back out a screw.