PDA

View Full Version : landscape fabric not stoping grass.

jonspolaris
05-12-2007, 08:24 AM
A neighbor has some landscaping installed a couple years ago. They put down landscape fabric and then stones over that. Now two years later there is a lot of grass growing in the landscaped areas. I was over there looking at it with him, and it seems the contractor installed everying like he should, its just that the grass grows throught the fabric.
Has anyone eles had this problem? did you just spray a herbaside on the grass or can you use a steralizer?
This area is irrigated also.
thanks

anthonyr
05-12-2007, 11:46 AM
I would guess that dirt or topsoil got dumped in with the rock- Enough to harvest grass anyways. I'd just hit those area's with round-up, being carefull not to spray on any plants or anything you don't want dead.

ChadsLawn
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
That crap doesnt keep anything from coming through.. Get on your hands and knees and start pulling. Stay on top of it, so it doesnt get out of control..

jonspolaris
05-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks,
We picked some of the stones back and there does not seem to be any dirt on them.
Its almost like the landscape fabric is not doing anything.
The neighbor had it installed thinking that his landscape would be very low maintaince.

LindblomRJ
05-12-2007, 03:48 PM
The other thing with landscape fabric is where there are planings weeds can come up through the same area as the plants. I have seen where the barrier is up to the concrete and weeds sneak though between the barrier and the sidewalk.

Dirty Water
05-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Landscape fabric is worthless as a weed barrier. Its sole purpose is to keep rocks and soil from mixing, and should not be used under anything else.

Sadly, the general "professional" doesn't have a clue.

Shady Brook
05-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Dirtywater is right, the sad thing is they label it as a weed barrier, I have plenty of examples where has no such properties. You can use heavy duty plastic that is not porus, but it should not be used around plantings as it will prevent water flow. All that fabric does when used as a weed barrier is make removing the exisiting rock more of a pain.

jonspolaris
05-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks, So I will tell him to adjust his standards for the amount of grass in the landscaped areas. He thought they did something wrong, as he was expecting the weed fabric to stop everything. He wanted it to be LOW maintence.

Lite4
05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Is it a dewitt 20 year fabric or the thin cheap crap that the box stores sell. When we install it we overlap seams 6" and apply a pre-emergent to control airborn seeds and spores that settle onto it. I have never had grass come through the dewitt fabric, But I have seen seeds sprout on it.

TurfProSTL
05-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Grass seed can sprout in dust. I'd bet your grass has blown into the rock beds and is rooting on top of the fabric.

Use Roundup as needed. Snapshot will minimize future weeds.

Use your head if you ever overseed that property.

jonspolaris
05-13-2007, 08:15 AM
The lawns havent been overseeded. I think its just grass clippings spred from the mower.
The fabric is a thin black type. I dont know what brand it is. It works well in some areas, but allows lots of grass to grow in other areas.
I will recommend roundup.

Lite4
05-13-2007, 10:24 PM
if it's the thin stuff it isn't the Dewitt 20 year fabric. Nothing comes through that stuff.

paponte
05-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Fabric is useless, and as said, should be used for nothing more than keeping stone from settling into soil.

SpruceLandscape
05-16-2007, 03:40 PM
my neibor across the street from me has a huge in-ground pool and then the whole back yard was filled in with landscape fabric, river gravel and a white picket fence. all this work was just done 3 years ago and you would not believe the amount of vegitation growing through the rocks. Just as if there was nothing there! Part of the problem is that he never had any kind of barrier at the edge where the stone meets the grass under the fence. Some of this stuff is so entangled through the fabric that you can't even pull it out! Went around with a crap load of round-up and snapshot to try and keep new weeds from sprouting.

TurfProSTL
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Fabric is useless, and as said, should be used for nothing more than keeping stone from settling into soil.
Agree. Fabric is definitely NOT a weed prevention.....