PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else Wearing Masks?

FearThisDeere
05-12-2007, 03:26 PM
My allergies have been killing me for the last week. I've been weraing one of those white painter's mask all week. It helps, but still isn't perfect. It gets so hot while wearing it. I imagine it can't be too good for anyone's health to be huffing around a lawn wearing one of those. I feel like I'm walking around with a watermelon for a head!

ChadsLawn
05-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I bought masks lastnight, only because were getting all the smoke from the fires in Georgia. Visability was down to 1/4 mile in some areas. Our vehicles were covers in ash yesterday morning as well..

Turf Troll
05-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I started last year, sitting on a zero turn all the dust and particles cover me when the wind is just right. It is hot but I breath a lot easier at night and have less sore throats.

topsites
05-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Nope, I just choke to death, around here we call it 'lawn gagging.'

It's really good stuff, especially when the snot gets going, reminds me why I charge what I do, good stuff.

Midwest Lawn Services
05-12-2007, 05:48 PM

It's really good stuff, especially when the snot gets going, reminds me why I charge what I do, good stuff.

Now that right there is funny, I don't care what ya'll say!:)

FearThisDeere
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM

You mean like when you huck a good luggie and it's brown? Those are the ones I like!

topsites
05-13-2007, 02:46 AM
You mean like when you huck a good luggie and it's brown? Those are the ones I like!

No, not quite, close...

I was thinking more along the lines of when you're merrily cutting along at full speed and next thing you know, you're bent over beside your machine that's still running WOT and coughing and hacking away, tears come out your eyes and the world around you no longer exists as you wonder faintly if anyone is watching and what they might think... But since you can't hardly breathe you stop caring as you reach for the WB to help support yourself and hope your hand don't touch the muffler since you can't see... A nice little drool is always good for effect, and you're telling yourself this can't be right, this has got to be wrong, but then your concern is more along the lines of hoping you don't run out of breath or die.

Then, all of a sudden everything's ok again as you mildly wonder wth that was all about, and get on with life.
3 minutes later, it starts again...
Somedays it seems to want to do this all day long :cry:
Other days it doesn't seem to affect you, or is it that you just got used to it?
Who knows for sure...

Turf Troll
05-13-2007, 08:23 AM
A nice little drool is always good for effect, and you're telling yourself this can't be right, this has got to be wrong, but then your concern is more along the lines of hoping you don't run out of breath or die.

Then you wake up 3 or 4 o'clock and you can't breath your lungs and head are stuffed up and I am gagging trying to clear the mucus from my throat and head.
Of course it wakes the wife who's is gagging now because of the noise of me clearing the mucus from my throat or spitting the lungers out I'm not really sure which part makes her gag in reaction.

The mask definitely helps me breath easier while I am working and lessen the effects later at night.

topsites
05-13-2007, 09:25 AM
The mask definitely helps me breath easier while I am working and lessen the effects later at night.

It can get worse, the dust can actually kill you. Not to scare anyone but I've gotten sick from it before, and I mean sick as a dog... So sick I seriously considered wearing a full face mask with a battery-powered respiration and cooling system, and it's only funny until you experience the worst of it once.

I hear you, I may try the masks yet, I do wear goggles at all times.

One thing I've learned over the years is not to expose myself unnecessarily, I find staying down wind from certain clouds of dust that come around helps a little, too :)

Avoidance, it takes a little practice, but say I just hit a spot with a blade due to a bump (scalp or whatever) and this cloud goes up, nothing big but there it is... Then 10-20 feet later I turn around and come back the same way and there it still is, floating in the air... Certain mushrooms come to mind, anyhow, I think dandelion spores maybe...
Rather than keep driving (right through it), I usually choose to stop and wait a second until it clears out or moves aside, I find this helps as well... Sometimes it's just little stuff floating in the air, hold up a sec and let it dissipate.
Not hitting that spot the next time (perhaps approach from a different direction or adjust the pattern slightly, lifting the deck works) also tends to help.

Holding my breath for a few at critical intervals can make a difference, even turning my face from it too, again it takes practice and I'm not perfect.

Turf Troll
05-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Thats it last year I was getting all the effects and ear, throat infections, later some respiratory something I had to take antibiotics for so I started wearing a mask.

This year I just started two weeks ago after having one of those nights waking up gagging and trying to clear my head, throat and chest from the flem.

The exhaust from the hustler zero turn doesn't help much either as it seems to blow all in my face sometimes.

Babbages01
05-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Get a N95 or better face mask or a HEPA respirator. They're supposed to block out allergens.

I've recently discovered I have a hardcore allergy to thick bermuda lawns so I'm going to get the 3M 6291 P100 Respirator. Looks kinda weird and costs $20 but it's better than me wheezing and coughing the rest of the day.

Allens LawnCare
05-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Nothing like picking black boogers!!!

GreenN'Clean
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I thought about wearing them but when its in the dead of summer it will be to hot for me to wear them.

echeandia
05-26-2007, 11:51 PM
You need to get out of field work. That should help.