PDA

View Full Version : john deere sst 16 won't steer

c2husker
05-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Tractor will steer in reverse but won't steer going forward? Any ideas???Thanks C2husker :dizzy: ooh almost forgot it is a spin steer

John Gamba
05-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Tractor will steer in reverse but won't steer going forward? Any ideas???Thanks C2husker :dizzy: ooh almost forgot it is a spin steer

See if you can get a hold of a member named Envy.

Midwest Lawn Services
05-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Fix what you have to and sell the d@mn thing. They are nothing but headaches. My father has been a JD consumer products mechanic for 25+ years, and he says they are one of the biggest jokes JD has ever produced!

khouse
05-12-2007, 08:02 PM
I have never worked on one. But if you have a pretty level piece of ground and you want a zero turn mower with a steering wheel - look at a Swisher mower. They are not commercial but do last a long time.
http://www.swisherinc.com

khouse
05-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Ok, the 3 wheel Swisher is no longer manufactured. Sorry

QualityLawnCare4u
05-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Fix what you have to and sell the d@mn thing. They are nothing but headaches. My father has been a JD consumer products mechanic for 25+ years, and he says they are one of the biggest jokes JD has ever produced!

This is the best advice you have been given, these things were a horrible nightmare! As sorry as my dealers are here they only sold a very few and qucikly quit selling them.

c2husker
05-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Was wondering if anyone has had the same problem!? Please help.....:)

khouse
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I wish I could help you but I've never worked on one. What is the steering wheel connected to. Can you see anything off or wrong with it? Why don't you call a JD dealership and talk to the service manager and maybe he'll shed some light on your issue.

fly-4-fun
05-14-2007, 08:08 PM
It could be one of the steering actuators that are under the seat deck. I've got one on these mowers, and have really enjoyed using it. I got a BobCat that I usually use, but the JD is great for small lawns. You have to take the metal plate that the seat is bolted to off to see the actuators. I put a link to the JD SpinSteer site that has a theory of operation explanation.

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/John_Deere_SST_Club/photos/browse/f668