PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

daveyo
05-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Had a landscaper last year in my development (two houses away from mine) on a Sunday spreading scotts halts. I could tell because orange granules were flying everywhere he also was using a scotts spreader that had to be one of their first.

He was tipping it up on one wheel going across the front just clueless there was granules everywhere it wasn't even funny. He started packing up and leaving so I went over and told him to clean up his mess, because I have a little girl and theirs lots of kids around besides other reasons. He starts giving me a hard time so I said wheres your pest. lic. He tried to BS me but it wasn't happening. He continues to argue with me then I say no problem I'll just go on-line and look up your pest. #, which isn't on your truck by the way. So he decides to clean up.

Long behold I see him again this year, same spreader same halts same idiot. So I said screw it and let it go. So last week I'm fertilizing my development and he approaches me (he was cutting the same yard I'll post pics) and says"hey,how much would you charge me to fertilize that yard", I need it done today, I said why you need it done now you were spreading Pendimethalin 2 weeks ago. He says no I wasn't I said sure you were, he says no I was spreading halts :dizzy:. I can't take it, it's in my own back yard literally, I want to call and slam him what would you do?

ChadsLawn
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Sit back and watch him destroy the yard and then laugh at him when hes replacing the yard with his own money.

THEGOLDPRO
05-12-2007, 11:40 PM
let him spread the the fert, then go out at like 2am with a backback sprayer full of roundup and spray the whole yard, lol that way it looks like he did it, and sit back and laugh.

daveyo
05-12-2007, 11:53 PM
The yard already look unbelievable, I have to post pics tomm. Its like what the heck is the homeowner thinking.

topsites
05-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Ahhh just let it go, it's all good.

It does frustrate when they ask me stuff, idk why, it just does.

But I see it too, newer Lco's practicing some of the slicker moves...
Sometimes it makes me laugh, other times I just think back how hard it was to get to where I am today, and I just get on with my things because that is their thing, myob I say.

On the one hand I hate it, I hate the competition moving in on me and I secretly hope they don't make it...
On the other, they deserve the same chance I get.
So it evens out, Yin Yang happens and the Universe is perfectly balanced again :laugh:

You're very good, maybe he's not so hot.
See, it's perfect balance. :)

mkroher
05-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Hasn't everyone here applied illegally at one point? I remember one of my first...I called my customer and asked her to run the irrigation that night so I can come in the morning with weed & feed. I knew I wasn't licensed, and I knew the law. I covered the Pre-M bags in the back of my truck with a tarp. I only applied in the wee hours in the morning, thinking I'd have less exposure. I didn't have many lawns that I treated, just a handfull. I bet that guy that you see has like 3 lawns to "put halts on".

I see those guys around here too. I get mad for a few minutes, then I remember I did the same thing when I started out. Only difference, is I had the intention of getting the license.

daveyo
05-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't care about the illegal thing, good for him. What I care about is my daughter playing around who knows what chemical hes going to apply next. And no I didn't go around applying without knowing what the heck I was doing or without a lic. I'm a by the book guy with my business, taxes, lic's etc. do it the right way and see yourself prosper. This guy is a crack head I found out by my neighbor which doesn't make me feel any better.

mkroher
05-13-2007, 07:26 PM
at least he can't buy restricted use pesticides.

Shades of Green LService
05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Take on the job and everything will work out. You'll get paid and there won't be a mess of **** for your kids to get in to.

Shades of Green LService
05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Take on the job and everything will work out. You'll get paid and there won't be a mess of **** for your kids to get in to.

Grandview
05-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Always been licensed.

MrBarefoot
05-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Hasn't everyone here applied illegally at one point?

I have never operated illegally. Legit right from the start.

I also bet most people here have been legit from the beginning.

americanlawn
05-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Sounds like the idiot was truly an idiot, and he won't last long. I say take on the job, but make sure you tell the homeowner who you are, your qualifications, etc. In other words, tell the homeowner if they want professional results from a trusted source, they better cut out the middle guy that does NOT know what he's doing. Don't call him an idiot, but give them your business card, give them a couple of referrals, and go from there. Keep in mind, the homeowner might be a friend of the "idiot" or else he's a dumbsh$t cheapskate (which you don't want anyway). If it's a large lawn, you may want to persue it, otherwise...........