PDA

View Full Version : Lorsban4E Hazard to birds and small mammals

newz7151
05-13-2007, 09:55 AM
If a homeowner got hold of this stuff from somebody and sprayed trees with it, how dangerous is the product to birds and other animals that might visit the trees within 3 hours of application (and any other areas to where the stuff drifted) ?

Ric
05-13-2007, 10:53 AM
newz

Lorsban4E is an Ag labelled Restricted Used Pesticide, version of Dursban Pro about twice as strong. Chlorpyrifos is the genetic name of the AI.

It would be illegal to spray this on any trees that were not on a tree farm.

Label http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld02A000.pdf

MSDS http://www.cdms.net/LDat/mp02A087.pdf

newz7151
05-13-2007, 01:46 PM
It would be illegal to spray this on any trees that were not on a tree farm.

Label http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld02A000.pdf

MSDS http://www.cdms.net/LDat/mp02A087.pdf

Well yeah, but what are you supposed to do when a relative thinks he is above the law, and some dumbass farmer or person with access to it gives it to him to use and he sprays his backyard trees with it? I want to know what it's going to do to the birds, lizards and other small animals like squirrels and rabbits.

Of course, this is all moot since he already sprayed it this morning.

Ever really want to just turn a parent in so that they will finally see they are not above the law, and to teach them a damn good lesson?

I believe his mixture was 1pt to 50 gal.

If he ever thinks about doing it again and that stuff shows up, I WILL CALL the department of AG on him. Dad or not, I'm sick of him killing stuff around here because he's so assanine in his world.

tremor
05-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Lorsban is no more dangerous today than it was 10 years ago when we were legally spraying lawns, trees, dogs, kitchen cabinets, grain elevators, hospitals, crops, grocery stores, etc.

Other than the potential for dermal absorption chlorpyrophos never was a major hazard.

upidstay
05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
The Dursban ban was a political gimme to the environmentalists. It let them show their supporters (meaning the people who send them $$) that they could score a victory. i remember watching a press conference with the then-head of the EPA, who quoted all of these stats about the thousands of people hospitalised every year for pesticide exposeure. The next person interviewed was the head of the center for disease control. These are the folks who keep the stats of those who are hospitalised for various reasons. He had NO idea what the EPA lady was talking about. His stats showed dozens of people treated every year from pesticide exposure, the vast majority of those applicators who had accidents or simply screwed up.

Personally, I don't miss Dursban. It was dangerous to the applicator, but no more toxic to birds, etc., than other stuff still in use. I think you should drop a dime on the idiot who gave this product to your dad. That is just grossly irresponsible and gives the rest of us a bad name.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
It just cost more money to test Dursban all of the time to please the liberals then they made on the chemical, it wasn't cost effective. I have Dursban still on the shelf, It is one of the only chemicals that actually works on springtails.

upidstay
05-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Ummm, don't get caught spraying that stuff. It was banned after all, and I believe the time frame set by the EPA to use up existing stock has expired.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
05-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes it has, I just have some that I need to get rid of that I wasn't able to blow off in time.

newz7151
05-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Ummm, don't get caught spraying that stuff. It was banned after all, and I believe the time frame set by the EPA to use up existing stock has expired.

Is Lorsban 4E banned also?

And it was a farmer that let him use some of it and a spray pumper. Said he sprays his crops with it and uses it on his pecan trees around his house.

So, before he tries to get it again in the fall, what would be an effective chemical to use for fall webworms and case nut that is able to be purchased by the public?

Ric
05-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Newz

Lorsban is now and has been ban by the EPA. However not all Chlorpyrifos products are ban from all pesticide application sites. Agriculture still can apply Chlorpyrifos and I believe Golf Courses can also. In fact I am not sure but I believe Golf Course have never given up the legal right to use Chlorpyrifos.

Chlorpyrifos had some unique properties that Talstar its replacement doesn't have. Chlorpyrifos is systemic and forms a gas or vapor, which Talstar does neither. However Chlorpyrifos has been used so much for so long resistances has build up to it.

I believe in teaching a man how to fish rather than giving him a fish. For that reason I posted the Label and MSDS.

newz7151
05-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I believe in teaching a man how to fish rather than giving him a fish. For that reason I posted the Label and MSDS.

Yeah, and I read over it. But for a person that hasn't had time to buy a fishing liscense for the past 3 or 4 years, I was hoping to just order the baked alaskan off the menu.

Ric
05-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah, and I read over it. But for a person that hasn't had time to buy a fishing liscense for the past 3 or 4 years, I was hoping to just order the baked alaskan off the menu.

Blues

That seem to be protocol with your generation. The problem with ordering Baked Alaskan off the Menu is, You some times get Fried.

newz7151
05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Blues

That seem to be protocol with your generation. The problem with ordering Baked Alaskan off the Menu is, You some times get Fried.

??

The lawnmower repair business doesn't slow down enough during the spring/summer and sometimes fall, so there's not much time for fishing.

Used to get to go fishing regularly back when I had a regular paycheck job and working for some big corporate company.

americanlawn
05-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Ric, is this how you help people on this site?