PDA

View Full Version : Weed and Feed shortly after seeding?

Lynden-Jeff
05-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Hey,

I seeded my parents back lawn and now the weeds seem to be going crazy. What is the worst thing that will happen if I use a weed and feed, or just a liquid weed killer? Will it kill the new grass? The weeds are so big they are hurting the seedlings bad. What would you guys recommend.

Thanks
Jeff

Ric
05-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Hey,

I seeded my parents back lawn and now the weeds seem to be going crazy. What is the worst thing that will happen if I use a weed and feed, or just a liquid weed killer? Will it kill the new grass? The weeds are so big they are hurting the seedlings bad. What would you guys recommend.

Thanks
Jeff

Xpoo

It might be more economical to forget the herbicide and go straight to AstroTurf. There are windows of opportunity for both seeding and weeding.

RigglePLC
05-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Be patient. Mow it--that will get rid of the tall weed types that cannot withstand mowing. It will look better. Mowing will cause the grass to spread sideways instead of straight up. Mowing will also reduce the ryegrass shade effect and allow the slower-growing bluegrass to get some sun and take hold.
Give it plenty of fertilizer and water. Use your liquid weed control after two mowings. (One additional). I have seen new grass sprayed-probably would not hurt it--but wait another week--why take a chance?

turfsolutions
05-13-2007, 03:22 PM
You may have missed the window for seeding, the best time is late summer early fall. Try again then for better results. As for what you have already done, let both the weeds and grass grow until you are cutting the new grass. Then apply a selective liquid broadleaf weed control. If you have any crabgrass breakthrough in the summer use Drive or Q4.

RAlmaroad
05-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Wait a minute guys--he's in Canada--Does it ever get warm up there? What is the growing season? Don't know anything about the temps. Keep it wet and mowed high. Any big weeds water then pull but be careful not to pull the grass seedlings out. A lot of hard work, but don't put any chems down. Try to get the grass to grow faster than the weeds this year. Just a lot of hard work,

upidstay
05-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Wait until it has been mowed 3 or 4 times, then you can blanket it with herbicide. Until then, spot spray.

Shades of Green LService
05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Be patient. Mow it--that will get rid of the tall weed types that cannot withstand mowing. It will look better. Mowing will cause the grass to spread sideways instead of straight up. Mowing will also reduce the ryegrass shade effect and allow the slower-growing bluegrass to get some sun and take hold.
Give it plenty of fertilizer and water. Use your liquid weed control after two mowings. (One additional). I have seen new grass sprayed-probably would not hurt it--but wait another week--why take a chance?

Good advise. But i would wait until you mow 3-4 times, just to be safe.

Shades of Green LService
05-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey,

Thanks
Jeff

What weeds are coming through? Broadleaf or grassy?