PDA

View Full Version : horsepower, dandelions, subcontracting

causalitist
05-13-2007, 04:09 PM
i do commercial lawn mowing. recently i subcontracted my lawn spraying to a company here in wisconsin.
i just had them spray one lawn so far to try them out. the lawn has dandalions all over, and they used horsepower weed control at 1.1 oz/1000sqft and uflex liq fert at 1.75 gal/1000sqft

anyway, its been 7 days and the dandalions are all looking just fine still, they arent wilting.

so my question is, does it take longer than 7 days using horsepower?
you guys think i should keep using them? i have to pay them now and im just waiting for the customer to complain her weeds are still there.

any insight/comments greatly appreciated.

last thing i want them to do is spray 10 lawns of mine and have to pay them even though the weeds are still alive and well.

RigglePLC
05-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Allow about 3 weeks. Weed control works slower if dry weather or cold weather and bigger weeds take a little longer. However you should notice some twisting and curling of the new growth--and probably some distortion of the normally straight growth of the flower stems. If so, the absorption was good. Next year be sure to have dandelions sprayed in the fall--it works better--and no yellow flowers or dandelion seeds in the spring.
Good product and dandelions are usually controlled with it.

causalitist
05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Allow about 3 weeks. Weed control works slower if dry weather or cold weather and bigger weeds take a little longer. However you should notice some twisting and curling of the new growth--and probably some distortion of the normally straight growth of the flower stems. If so, the absorption was good. Next year be sure to have dandelions sprayed in the fall--it works better--and no yellow flowers or dandelion seeds in the spring.
Good product and dandelions are usually controlled with it.

awesome, thanks.. yes the stems are twisted. i'll wait it out. u just took alot off my mind.

Grandview
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
After 7 days the dandelions should be down and out of sight if just driving by. How do the dandelions compare to ones not sprayed? There should be noticable difference.

Shades of Green LService
05-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I know they didn't use 3 way but..had a few lawns riddled w/ dandis. Sprayed 3 way and in 24 hrs. had flowers gone and stem wilted to thatch level. Also, NO turf stress.

causalitist
05-14-2007, 02:35 AM
After 7 days the dandelions should be down and out of sight if just driving by. How do the dandelions compare to ones not sprayed? There should be noticable difference.

growth is twisted, but they are still green and look like they are growing. i will be there tomorrow (mon) to create some beds and mulch, ill take another look and update you guys, hopefully i'll still get some responses then as this is a very important business decision for me.

it will acually be 11 days by then, so hopefully after i post an update you guys can help me decide if this company is good.

TurfProSTL
05-14-2007, 03:29 AM
The problem with the slow results is the company used Horsepower to control dandelions. Horsepower is a good weed control product, but does not contain 2,4-D. 2,4-D knocks dandelions down fast.....

The Horsepower will kill the dandelions, but it works slower. Allow 2-3 weeks for visual results.

causalitist
05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
The problem with the slow results is the company used Horsepower to control dandelions. Horsepower is a good weed control product, but does not contain 2,4-D. 2,4-D knocks dandelions down fast.....

The Horsepower will kill the dandelions, but it works slower. Allow 2-3 weeks for visual results.

AHHH. that makes sense now! on there bill they advertise "a 2,4-D free company" ... so there u go. so horsepower works but just takes longer? cool. they've been in business 13 years, but i just wanted the opinions of you guys.

so being a company that does not use ANY 2,4-D .. do you think im going to run into problems having them control certain weeds.. or any other considerations?

TurfProSTL
05-14-2007, 01:08 PM
^ Broadleafs that are extremely sensitive to 2,4-D, like dandelions will be controlled with the MCPA in Horsepower, just a slower death.....

You should be fine!