PDA

View Full Version : Buying Wire

Turf Troll
05-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Where do you purchase your spools of wire where do you get the best value?

I went back in the threads a couple pages but didn't find anything

Chris J
05-13-2007, 11:51 PM
My latest supplier seems to have taken the low road when it comes to quality wire so I'm not going to mention any names. I was talking to AJ at Florida Outdoor Lighting Distributors the other day, however, and he mentioned some very attractive prices. I can't tell you what he told me because that would just be plain old bad business practices, but I would suggest that you put them on your list of places to call. Shop around a bit. I'm sure it won't take you too long to find a good distributor. Remember, volumn is the key to better pricing.

Chris J
05-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Turf Troll,
I neglected to note that you live in Delaware. Don't forget to ask about shipping cost. This can sometimes bite you in the rear end if your not expecting it. Wire is very heavy, and is therefore expensive to ship. You might end up better off with a local supplier.

Pro-Scapes
05-14-2007, 08:57 AM
I buy wire from AJ (chuck link) at thier southern outdoor lighting dist location here in ms.

They stock Cast and other brands and the price is VERY close to what I would pay if I purchased in bulk or by the pallet. Chris is right that you must check on shipping costs. If you shop around locally or make a bulk purchase from a local dist you should be able to get pretty attractive pricing.

I only have about 5 spools at any one time and pick up more as needed. With quality wire at a good price near me it just doesnt pay for me to tie up capital in wire purchases.

I once talked about creating a buying partnership much like tri star auto parts does so we can work together as a group to make purchases with fellow contractors but no one seemed interested. Some dist offer Kichler premier discounts or AOLP discounts so thats something to consider. We save a good deal as kichler premier contractors.

Chris J
05-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Billy,
Have we met before? Have you been on any of the Kichler incentive trips in the past? If not, are you planning on going to St. Thomas with us next year?
Look forward to meeting you. I'll be the one swinging from the palm trees with a bottle of rum tied around my neck. :laugh:

Pro-Scapes
05-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey Chris no we have not met. I have just started using the Kichler products this past year and hope to have enough points to make the trip. If you got more than enough your welcome to share and I will buy that bottle of rum.

We frequent your neck of the woods a few times a year as my parents live in the villages (a mostly untapped area for your fla boys!). while the home value doesnt equal a target most of the homeowners are retired and fairly well off. We have seen VERY few quality lighting jobs in there with several thousand homes within 10sq miles.

If your ever out this way come on by and we can meet on the coast for some fishing.

I think we all need to plan a trip maybe to new orleans this winter and cash in on some tuna action

Chris J
05-14-2007, 10:31 PM
You got it!

Turf Troll
05-15-2007, 08:15 AM
If you all are in to fishing you might check out this http://www.cwcrab.com/

it's my neighbors and the sinker is available his website needs updating,

Pro-Scapes
05-15-2007, 10:12 AM
If you all are in to fishing you might check out this http://www.cwcrab.com/

it's my neighbors and the sinker is available his website needs updating,

johnson sprites in chrome witht he pink eye tab on it have produced more redfish and specks than anything for us. Live shrimp or pogies work well too. I have thought about trying crab baits but havent seen one in action yet.

Its a bit slow right now but next month the reds will start showing up in the passes and the action will pick up thru late fall. Winter time is tuna time!

Chris J
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Just got back from an off shore trip about two weeks ago. Landed this huge 50lb black belly grouper! Talk about a fight, It was like trying to reel up a truck before he got back into the rocks.

NightScenes
05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
What was the topic of this thread again? Nice fish Chris!

David Gretzmier
05-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I could talk fish all day BUT,

To answer your question- 12 guage LV spt3 wire at our distributor is 40 cents a foot right now for 500 and 1000ft spools, Lowe's is at 145 bucks for a 500 ft spool, or a little less than 30 cents a foot, home depot is 152 for 500 ft, 31 cents a foot, a few calls and I've gotten quotes of 32-35 cents a foot for a pallet shipped to me.

Maybe if I buy a container load from china it would be cheaper, but NO, I checked with a buddy in Chicago, he does over a million in lighting, who BOUGHT a container load (20 foot ), and although he got it for 20 cents a foot, that deal is long gone. he is currently at 31.5 cents.

I did an install yesterday and snipped off 18 inches of 12 guage at the end of a run, and I kept it. that's 50-60 cents at today's prices.

folks on here don't like to post prices, but hey, any homeowner can go in and look at the label, and since my distributor is HIGHER than the big box guys, I figure they'll let it pass.

extlights
05-16-2007, 01:43 AM
I might know your buddy in Chicago....I think there is only one lvl company that generates that kind of business there. I'm just north of him. If it's who I think it is, he's the reason we started buying bulk. We are close to the same price as him. I looked it up today and we are just under $150 a spool for 12/2. The crazy thing about wire is that although prices might differ 5-15 bucks a spool, think about how much of it you actually use. Even at 5 bucks a spool, that could mean a huge difference on the bottom line at the end of the year....thousands if you do a decent amount of business. And being the cheapskate I am, we keep all the wire cutoffs and take them to the recycler at the end of the year. Absolutely nuts how much money you can get for what would otherwise be throw away pieces.

Pro-Scapes
05-16-2007, 08:28 AM
since we are going to post pricing im at 175 a spool buying it as needed for cast 12/2 and 140ish for copper UL listed 12/2. Least thats what I paid last week

since we side tracked on fish sailfish islamorada florida feb 04. 3 in one day on light tackle. Talk about sore forearms! Im sure burt has some pretty good redfish and speck pics he could chime in with here.

Eden Lights
05-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Just remember your Business and personel names will be found by your prospective clients when checking you out on the web, so do you really want that search result to be cost pricing information? Thanks for all the info. you guys give.

extlights
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't really mind pricing info on wire just because we don't itemize it on our proposals. I know of a lot of distributors around here who will sell to homeowners and the prices actually aren't that different than what they sell it to the professionals for. If a homeowner really does their homework on pricing, they can easily find out what wire is going for anyway.

Pro-Scapes
05-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I dont make a habit of itemizing wire unless asked to do so. I am usually the first to gripe about pricing lists on the forums but no one listens anymore.

Bottom line is wire is NOT cheap.

Turf Troll
05-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Wire for me is a bulk commodity like 2/2.5 gal. jugs/case of aresnal $1400 or a gallon of Primo around $700(did I pay that much?) you don't need a license to buy it but how many people have a need to spend a thousand bucks on these things may as well go in business and if I'm paying close to average price then I'll feel ok,

Chris J
05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
If I may, sometimes a very aggressive customer will question every aspect of my proposal. They will go straight to the point, and tell me that they can get a 15443OB (for example) on the Internet for, let's say, $75 bucks. They will then do the math and question the labor cost. In every case, I will always respond the same way: Is the Internet trained and licensed to install a quality lighting system for you? Was the Internet willing to meet you at your home to give you a complimentary design consultation? Will the Internet be there for you when you have service related problems in the future?
The answer to all of these questions is always NO, and usually this is the point where I politely get up and leave because THIS IS NOT MY TARGET CUSTOMER ANYWAY!
Your not going to win them all, this is why it is so important to pre-qualify your customers before you waste the time going to their home. Charging for consultations is not something that we do right now, but it is on the way I assure you. If your doing demos, you should be charging something even if it is just $50 bucks! If the client is serious, and he has any business knowledge, he knows that time is money. He will be more than willing to pay a little bit for you time and effort.

High Performance Lighting
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
If I may, sometimes a very aggressive customer will question every aspect of my proposal. They will go straight to the point, and tell me that they can get a 15443OB (for example) on the Internet for, let's say, $75 bucks. They will then do the math and question the labor cost. In every case, I will always respond the same way: Is the Internet trained and licensed to install a quality lighting system for you? Was the Internet willing to meet you at your home to give you a complimentary design consultation? Will the Internet be there for you when you have service related problems in the future?
The answer to all of these questions is always NO, and usually this is the point where I politely get up and leave because THIS IS NOT MY TARGET CUSTOMER ANYWAY!
Your not going to win them all, this is why it is so important to pre-qualify your customers before you waste the time going to their home. Charging for consultations is not something that we do right now, but it is on the way I assure you. If your doing demos, you should be charging something even if it is just $50 bucks! If the client is serious, and he has any business knowledge, he knows that time is money. He will be more than willing to pay a little bit for you time and effort.

I charge between $75 and $150 for an initial consultation and occasionally I will get this type of homeowner. The best way to deal with this most times is just how you did (Grab your fee before leaving though). I had a meeting awhile back to do a small frontyard. The homeowner brought me around the back and showed me a newly installed 17 fixture system with Unique knockoffs sold by a so called manufacturer who is really a distributor/light bulb store owner. I'm not going to use the company name but it's one that is known nationally and would be recognized by most. Anyway this guy had these 17 lights installed along with a chinese knockoff mdl transformer which had no brand name or contact info on it for less than $2,000 by two store employees on a saturday. Surprisingly he paid me close to $6,000 to do the front because he wanted it done right and liked the quality of my materials. The job went well and he and his wife were very pleased. Moral to the story is give them at least an honest chance to hire you before pulling the plug on them.

David Gretzmier
05-17-2007, 04:15 AM
when a person starts quoting prices to me for fixtures, wire or tranformers It comes down to one thing, I am selling a service and effect. If you think customers don't know how much wire is, you're living in dream land. they know how much the fixtures at lowes cost, and they look at ebay. Customers are WAY more smart than we give them credit for.

I really wonder if they expect me to hang my head and say, AW, you caught me, I'm making money on this business, so I'll cut my price so I'll be poor.

I usually tell people that are trying to "catch" me, that I know how much it takes me run my business and to live, and I divide that among how many jobs I do. This blunt honesty sems to work. if not, let them move on.

Chris J
05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
when a person starts quoting prices to me for fixtures, wire or tranformers It comes down to one thing, I am selling a service and effect. If you think customers don't know how much wire is, you're living in dream land. they know how much the fixtures at lowes cost, and they look at ebay. Customers are WAY more smart than we give them credit for.

I really wonder if they expect me to hang my head and say, AW, you caught me, I'm making money on this business, so I'll cut my price so I'll be poor.

I usually tell people that are trying to "catch" me, that I know how much it takes me run my business and to live, and I divide that among how many jobs I do. This blunt honesty sems to work. if not, let them move on.

I like the phrase you use about what it takes to run you business, but I somewhat disagree with your first statement. Bargain hunters might know what material cost are, but the "high end" client isn't going to bother with these details. He or she is much more focused on their own business.