PDA

View Full Version : Bayer Merit or Generic Imidacloprid?

tremor
05-13-2007, 05:13 PM
There are a lot of choices this year. Some of these choices make better agronomic sense than the same old SCU summer fertilizers we've been saddled with these past 15 years.

For instance one item we're selling is a post-patent imidacloprid on a 65%Nutralene + Iron containing summer fertilizer.

What is everyone planning to use?

lawn king
05-13-2007, 05:37 PM
we are staying with bayer and going to use allectus.

upidstay
05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Stick with Bayer. Alot of the off patent stuff is just .5g granular Merit blended with fert. Bayer maintianed the patent for adhering the chemical to fert granules, and are suing those who violate that patent. If it isn't blended properly, you will not know how much AI you are applying.

tremor
05-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Bayer's patent covers a dry manufacturing process on SCU only. The Andersons decided to make a generic on SCU anway (Grub Out). I'm not sure if they're using 75WP or a liquid process. This would affect their exposure to the patent. Bayer isn't likely to sue their biggest customer but they might.

The Nutralene fert I'm speaking of (Mallet) is a wet manufacturing process.

These are not fly-by-night companies that are producing the generics. They are some of the most trusted manufacturers in the business.

I'm not aware of anyone blending .5G with fertilizer right now but I do know of a disaster a few years ago. Ironically Bayer did test & approve that manufacturer's fiaso. The trouble there was that the .5G seperated from the fertilizer during Vicon applications resulting in striped turf. The bulk desnity of the .5 carrier was different than the fertilizer so they seperated in the hopper & while flying through the air.

Either way, no pesticide has ever come off patent & failed as a result. Generic Imidacloprid will be available regardless of the scare tactics used by stake holders.

Who did you hear was blending .5G with fert?

Grassmechanic
05-14-2007, 08:45 AM
FWIW, I use generic Imidicloprid for Emerald Ash Borer and am pleased with the results.

lawn king
05-15-2007, 07:22 PM
We start allectus apps tomorrow. The AI is .225, we are expecting big results from this product. Merit always produced remarkable control for us so im sure the allectus will do great as well.

Grassworks Inc.
05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Been using Merit and generic's for the past 2 years with no difference between the two. I get 2 mini-drums of Merit on early order program (gets me an i-pod, great xmas present!), then I get however much generic I need to finish my grub apps. My apps are all liquid, so I have no problems with particle separation, etc... I just throw in some wsp's in with my Rd 2's and spray. 2 invoices for one treatment, gotta love it.

lawn king
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
With allectus, we are feeding, controlling surface insects and grubs with one app, that is sweet!

Grassworks Inc.
05-15-2007, 08:56 PM
I make my own allectus by tank mixing talstar one with my merit or generic. Can also vary the amount of N going down depending on weather conditions, and can add fungy, iron and micro's as needed.

tremor
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
The thread was about Imidacloprid but I do find it amusing that Allectus prices are NOT dropping at a rate consistent with the lower cost of the Imidacloprid that is used to make Allectus.

What are folks paying for Allectus? Is it cheaper than this time last year?

ampeg76
05-17-2007, 08:39 PM
The thread was about Imidacloprid but I do find it amusing that Allectus prices are NOT dropping at a rate consistent with the lower cost of the Imidacloprid that is used to make Allectus.

What are folks paying for Allectus? Is it cheaper than this time last year?

good question

in houston allectus is a waste of money and chemical

DUSTYCEDAR
05-18-2007, 06:20 PM
generic .5g is the trend

tremor
05-19-2007, 11:12 PM
We're stocking generic .5 this year.

Here in New England we just don't see many Chinch Bug outbreaks on Imidacloprid treated turf. There is enough supression that during a fairly moist year Talstar isn't justified for surface feeders.

Ric
05-20-2007, 08:29 AM
We're stocking generic .5 this year.

Here in New England we just don't see many Chinch Bug outbreaks on Imidacloprid treated turf. There is enough suppression that during a fairly moist year Talstar isn't justified for surface feeders.

Steve

Here in Florida, our Rainy season is almost enough to control Chinch Bugs. The rain at least suppresses them to the point we don't need to treat them. However Fire Ants are a problem at that time, so we still have to treat for them. Imidacloprid helps to suppress Fire Ants.

I have been watching this thread to see which genetic everyone is using. From past experience I have found .5 G Merit was much better than WSP Merit. I have tried and like the results of Tristar WSP Imidacloprid on ornamental, But they are very proud of that product. Yes Formulations and surfactants can make a difference.

So the question still remains, Which manufacture or brand of .5 G Imidacloprid is the economic choice for this year. My Window of opportunity to apply Imidacloprid is here NOW.

tremor
05-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Enforce .5G from Advan
http://www.advanllc.com/pdflabels/Enforce-0.5G-label-11117W.pdf