PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a resperator?

Shades of Green LService
05-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I am going to start trying to use a resperator for the first time. However i am very closterphobic and wearing this exsaporates (spelling) this. Breathing through these feels like breathing through a straw. Any tips?

boats47
05-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I used to have to wear one on a regular basis for hazmat response in service. It is one of things you just get used to after time. On hot days it is probally the worst, because all the sweat and humidity makes you feel like your going to sufficate. Have it professional fitted, usually the local enviromental police, coop, or even try a Coast Guard Station and tell them it is for painting a boat and you want to be safe (they have the knowledge and tools to help you use them)(that was insider info SHHHHH).

Shades of Green LService
05-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Used it all day . Got used to it pretty quick. Def. A good idea to wear one when spraying certain Pesticides.

turfsolutions
05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Depends what I am spraying / spreading and the size of the property. But if I where one I prefer a full face respirator. Keeps it out of your eyes and lungs.

carcrz
05-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I do if it is liquid or if it is windy at all outside.

cantoo
05-14-2007, 10:33 PM
I used to wear one but stopped. Customers would freak when I put it on for one thing. I was getting a rash when it was hot out and I felt it was doing more damage than good. We only spray ParIII, Tri Kill and Roundup so it's not really needed.

LwnmwrMan22
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
I used to wear one but stopped. Customers would freak when I put it on for one thing. I was getting a rash when it was hot out and I felt it was doing more damage than good. We only spray ParIII, Tri Kill and Roundup so it's not really needed.

My response as well.

GrazerZ
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I wear one when I spray everything except round up type products. For one I can't stand the smell of some stuff for a whole day and for anther its better to be over coutious in my opinion.
The local supplier we buy from sells the 3m ones that I like and will fit you for them if you like. Also I usally have two on hand for when the first gets a bit too moist.

vegomatic40
05-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Poorly fitted they are far worse than using nothing at all. Use them only occasionally with certain WP's and other concentrates are going in the tanks.

heritage
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM

I remember when the customers would become concerned when I was wearing the mask. It was a good time for me to educate the client that the mask was for my protection from the mist within the area I was working.....often this mist cannot even be seen by the naked eye.

They need not worry as they were in no danger, and because I am exposed 100's of times per season, to the pesticides I apply, I too feel I can't be too careful.

That small education to my clients, gave them peace of mind and also that their applicator was safety concious and professional.

I even wear a Dust mask when applying granular control products.

You will be greatful when you are in your "Golden Years"

Pete D.

americanlawn
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
We only use products that are safe enough not to have to be outfitted in "nuclear byproduct gear". Protectioin is good, but when the "gear" enhances the problem, I draw the line.

Back in 81, ChemLawn did a study regarding cholonestrate levels. Seems the employees who wore extensive protective gear had higher levels in the blood steam than those who did not. Go from there.

rcreech
05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
It is funny that this thread popped up...because I have been beating around wearing breating protection. I have talked to several people and two of them have been in the business for over 30 years and said that they feel breating protection isn't needed and that they are fine. I have mixed feelings and am not really sure what to do. I use a PG and feel that I am dealing with much more product being atomized vs. using a hose. I sweat like crazy and just not sure how it will work. May try it though.

GrazerZ
05-16-2007, 09:08 PM
We only use products that are safe enough not to have to be outfitted in "nuclear byproduct gear". Protectioin is good, but when the "gear" enhances the problem, I draw the line.

Back in 81, ChemLawn did a study regarding cholonestrate levels. Seems the employees who wore extensive protective gear had higher levels in the blood steam than those who did not. Go from there.

So you base your not wearing a respirator on 26 yr old data?

rcreech
05-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Forgot to ask. What respirator do you recommend? I want to use the best if I am going to use one.
Thanks!

heritage
05-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Rcreech,

For dry control products and Lime we use disposable, 3M 8271 P95 Particulate Respirator

For Pesticide spraying of Ornamentals we use 3M Easi-care 5000 series half-mask respirator, and seprate glasses/eyeware.

Broadleaf Herbicides we only use the half mask when mixing and loading.

Pete D.

rcreech
05-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks Pete.

So you don't think I need one while on the PG? This would probably be the only time I was planning on wearing one.

heritage
05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Unless the Pesticide Label says otherwise, With the PG you won't need one for Herbicides with the Flood Jet Nozzles. Insect or Fungicide sprays with PG, at least wear the Dust Mask.

Pete D.

americanlawn
05-17-2007, 06:45 PM
GrazerZ -- I quoted this study because it's the only one that I am experienced with first hand. Part of this study I did not mention....there were more accidents when filling: a) tripping over long aprons while filling, b) poor visibility while wearing goggles during filling, c) pesticide absorbtion was much greater for those that wore gloves (the study found that washing hands after filling concentrates was safer than wearing gloves that were not wash regularly).

Bottom line: I have no base? I just know what scientific studies concluded.

We do not wear respirators either, yet we follow label instructions on all products. I have missed only one day of work the past 30 years (and it was not due to illness). I hope we're not doing anything wrong?

NOTE: The "original" ChemLawn Corporation had 3 research & development stations in the USA. TruGreen closed them all down. I am very proud of the original ChemLawn because they were the "pioneer" in proffessional lawn care.

If you have first hand knowledge of scientific reasearch on this subject, please share it. My 26-year-old info might be out of date, but it's all I know of.

I prefer to help & respect, not ....................americanlawn

MrC
07-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Do you think a respirator is necessary when working with Momentum FX2?

Fertboy
07-19-2007, 11:40 PM
I dont wear a respirator when I spray momentum. All I do is spot spray, I use a chapin wand that is down by my feet with a fairly heavy spray tip to reduce drift. I personally don't see anything wrong with being safe, but with my way of application I don't see a need. Plus I don't want to walk around looking like Michael Jackson.

Ed