PDA

View Full Version : fieldhorsetail- how the heck do you keep it away?!

jsf343
05-14-2007, 01:02 AM
you saw the title, what if any pre-emergent will keep this crap away with out hurting ground cover? Ronstar maybe???

jsf343
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
wow, nobody has any advice on this stuff? the horsetail that is around lakes, rivers,etc. If I had a picture I would post it if that would help but I don't.

indyturf
05-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Do you mean Cattails?

boats47
05-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I was thinking cattails as well Indy. If that is the case you are to close to a water source to spray or do anything for that matter. Somethings were not ment to be controled, I would call the local DEM and see what they suggest and if it is on any invasives lists. Don't get caught within that 50 (or greater depending on where you live) foot zone.

jsf343
05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
no not cattails, horsetail. it says the non standard name is jointgrass if that helps. It almost looks like a little fir tree. it is common in areas with high water tables. Thanks for taking a stab at it though.

Jeff

Kate Butler
05-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Casoron will subdue, but not eradicate, horsetail (equistum carieties).

jsf343
05-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Casoron will subdue, but not eradicate, horsetail (equistum carieties).

casoron? really?? it doesnot hurt groundcover? hmmmm.... I will try some.

thanks Kate!

tremor
05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
I sprayed some Horsetail with Spotlight a few years ago. Wiped it right out. However at the time it was an off-label use.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6FF003.pdf

The current label still doesn't have Horsetail on it though a Dow rep advised me to try it & we did provide Dow with the efficacy data.

tremor
05-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Ditto the Casoron but timing is critical.

jsf343
05-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Ditto the Casoron but timing is critical.

when would you reccomend throwing it down? All we keep doing is pulling these things the best that we can, 2-3 weeks later they are up in a different location.

tremor
05-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Early-mid February around here for Casoron & Horsetail.

I did a little looking around to see if anything new is on the www. There are no silver bullets yet. Use all of the tools available especially including environment modification like drainage, soil pH & mulches in conjunction with Casoron, MSMA, Spotlight, etc. My experience with Roundup was bad but with a decent organosilicone surfactant one might get better results.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/hrsetail.htm

According to the PNW Handbook, Casoron applied in three consecutive years at rates of 4, 3, and 2 lb ai/acre suppressed horsetail. For postemergence control, consecutive applications of MCPA have proven effective. Approximately 20 to 30% of horsetail populations are reduced with each application. However, skipping an application will allow plants to regenerate their depleted root system, and control up to this point will have been lost. Horsetail thrives in moist soils. Improved drainage, clean cultivation, and growing crops with dense canopies (very difficult in nursery production) are reported to slowly deplete horsetail populations.

teeca
05-18-2007, 06:31 PM
i've hit it with rodeo (aquatic glyphosate) with pentabark (new type of surfactant) and had ok luck, still need to do 2 apps per year to surpress it.