PDA

View Full Version : Timing on my first truck

bluethunder
08-12-2001, 08:13 PM
I recently got my first truck! A 1986 Chevrolet K20 4x4 with a 350 engine. I was wondering if someone knows, or can tell me where to find what degree to set my timing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rooster
08-12-2001, 08:59 PM
bluethunder,

Welcome to lawnsite contgrats on post #1, and on you "new" purchase.

You might consider going to www.plowsite.com and posting your question there in the Chevy Truck Forum.
I am just suggestion plowsite.com because it is a sister site to this one.

Chuck Smith checks both that site and this one, he is a Chevy man and has his own website also.

One of his websites is: http://www.************************.com
There is a lot of information there!

However someone will give you the answer sooner or later.

Good Luck, and again welcome aboard!

bluethunder
08-12-2001, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome Rooster. I already have posted on plowsite.com I hope someone can help me lol!

ERIC ROBERGE
08-24-2001, 04:23 AM
If you are planning to do any work on your truck, my advise woulb be to get a book like chilton or mitchell. It would be best to get a dealer shop manual if you could find one. I cant remember if the 86 2500 is carburated or computer controlled. If I had to guess it would be carbed. If so make sure idle is around 700-800 rpms, disconnect and plug the vacuume line to the distributer and shoot the timing. I would guess the timing to be around 5 to 10 degrees, but I would verify that first.
By the way why are you trying to adjust the timing. There are a number of other problems that have similar symptoms that misadjusted timing has.
Worn timing chain, worn distributer bushings, vacuum leaks, weak or worn ignition parts, bad catalyst just to name a few. If you need I can tell you how to check some of this stuff. Just let me know.