PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper 721D - Electrical/Safety/Solenoid issue?? Please help

shankscomp
05-14-2007, 10:56 AM
We have a 2001 721D Grasshopper. It seems to be having some kind of an issue with either the electric or safety, maybe the fuel solenoid. I have removed the solenoid and tested the resistence on the wires. The "pull" wire has a resistance of 14, which is correct, but the "hold" wire only has a resistance of 0.6, but the book says it should have a resistance of 0.25. Would this be considered not working?

I was talking to a local service shop this morning, and told him that when you turn the key on the machine that the solenoid pulls the arm back like it should, but when you let go of the key, it goes back forward. So, it's not holding back. But, if you stand there and hold it back, the machine continues to run.

The other issue is, is that when you hold the arm back, and then pull up on the PTO button, that the PTO does not engage. He says neither of the two relate to each other, but if there is a fault in the safey wiring, that could be causing all the issues.

Any suggestions? I really need to know if this something I could fix myself, or something we need to take to the local EXPENSIVE shop.

Thanks
Tim

Bill Kapaun
05-14-2007, 04:27 PM
"...but the "hold" wire only has a resistance of 0.6, but the book says it should have a resistance of 0.25. Would this be considered not working?"

Well, .6 is more than .25. What resistance do your leads show when touched together? Did you add that to your total?
It's really difficult to measure such a small amount of resistance. Your test leads act like radio antennas, and the newer multi meters use such of a small amount of current to measure resistance.
IF the "hold" wire is supposed to have battery V going to it to make it work, Check that it does at the proper time. You could try jumpering battery V to it and see if it holds. IF it does, it sounds like a bad switch.

flman
05-15-2007, 09:04 AM
The problem you are having relates to the interlock module that runs to the fuel solenoid. Replace it,I believe the GH part number is 184220 (about 40.00). If you don't want to spend any money,just use a bungee cord like most do down here when the solenoid goes out completely,but that would be rigging it:hammerhead:.

Mike