PDA

View Full Version : pointers

Turf Troll
05-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I have always just charged what I thought the job should cost on my time, materials, overhead and profit,

Now that I would like to do mostly lighting I am interested in setting up a yearly maintenance system what are the points to cover can someone send me in a direction for research or samples of agreements/wording,

I'm fine with new work or fixing or upgrading systems that never really changes,

The process of checking fixtures, insulators, bulb coating/reflector, volts what are you charging for,

I saw in Chris's thread on buying a business maintenance contracts runs 300-350, Paul guessed around 500 for a contract so what do you offer for the cost or what do I do that I am going to charge x amount for,

thanks this is stumping me :confused:

Pro-Scapes
05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
our maint includes up to 2 service call per year... x amount of maint visits per year at which time we change any burn outs... check timer programs... clean lenses and wipe off transformers. look for visual signs of system disturbance (ie new plants in area) and perform minor trimming to ensure light performance.

Prices will vary depending on a number of things.... underwater lights (am i going to have to reach into a cold pond???) tree lights (prices goes up quickly!) and the size of the system along with how many visits need to be made per year.

Basic 3 visit a year with 2 free service calls runs between 10 and 13 per light depending on size of system and if they are a reg maint (landscape) client of ours.

Chris J
05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Before I say this, let me say that my system is very dated and will soon be changed:
I charge $10 per light plus the cost of the lamps. We relamp annually, and our scheduled service visits are every six months. On a service visit, we will clean the fixtures, relubricate orings and sockets, perform minor pruning, re-aim fixtures etc...
Some of our service renewals are $2500 for the bigger jobs, and some of them are only $100 for a small 10 light job (you can now see why I don't like this system).
The reason it still works for us, however, is because we have so many service customers. On a day that we are doing service, we will group everybody together by neighborhood. This way, we can service a lot of them in a relatively short amount of time.
Some guys charge per transformer. I think what we will end up doing is some sort of progression like 20 lights or less = $, 21-35= $, 36-50=$ or something to that effect.

Pro-Scapes
05-15-2007, 10:17 AM
i think i forgot to add my contracts are PLUS parts not under warranty. Clients with irrigation and hard water are easy upsells on maint packages. We carry a filty lens and ask them to look thru it. Just a sales tool like carrying a 2 year old light thats the "good kind" thats failed and showing them the diff between ours and the other guys.

David Gretzmier
05-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I do a 1 year " rotating" guarantee. I charge 10 percent of first year install, I change out all bulbs, lube o-rings, trim back bushes blocking lights, reset fixtures and clean out tranformer. Any bulbs that burn out are fixed for free throughout the year.

If you put your voltage at around 10.5-11 volts at each fixture, you should not have many bulbs burn out. usually that happens if someone kicks a hot light, but I fix it anyway.

I just did a bid for 12 grand and he definetly did not like the idea of paying 1200 per year for new bulbs, so maybe that's a little high on the larger jobs, but others are paying it. I've watched my time on these, and the dollars per hour seem to be close to installs, So I think I'm close.

Chris J
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I did some quick figuring and that comes out to be about the same cost as what we charge. I'm sure there would be some differences with very little or very big jobs, but it's close. Not everyone will renew, but you just have to make sure you explain to them that "someone" will have to take care of the system from time to time. It can't just sit out there neglected, and the cost covers more than just changing the bulbs.