PDA

View Full Version : weak electric Hannay hose reel motor

americanlawn
05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
We run 14 of these 12 volt motors...about 10 run average..2 run really fast..1or 2 can barely reel up the hose. Age of the motor does not seem to be a factor whatsoever, as one of the fastest is about 15 years old!

NOTE: we hooked up all of these electric motors via jumper cables in April to check their performance on an equal basis.....no difference. We run these directly off truck batteries with clean connections.

Example: I swapped one of my 2 "super fast" hose reels with another truck for his "average" reel.....now his truck reels in very fast. Mine does not, so it's not our trucks.

Why the motor to motor difference in speed? Actually our newest one is one of the slowest ones????

Is there a way to "rebuild" these? Why the difference in motors? Some old ones are super fast, yet some newer ones are slow?? Should we just buy new & hope for a "good one"? (Hannay has been little help) rscvp

mnturfmaster
05-14-2007, 07:50 PM
We run 14 of these 12 volt motors...about 10 run average..2 run really fast..1or 2 can barely reel up the hose. Age of the motor does not seem to be a factor whatsoever, as one of the fastest is about 15 years old!

NOTE: we hooked up all of these electric motors via jumper cables in April to check their performance on an equal basis.....no difference. We run these directly off truck batteries with clean connections.

Example: I swapped one of my 2 "super fast" hose reels with another truck for his "average" reel.....now his truck reels in very fast. Mine does not, so it's not our trucks.

Why the motor to motor difference in speed? Actually our newest one is one of the slowest ones????

Is there a way to "rebuild" these? Why the difference in motors? Some old ones are super fast, yet some newer ones are slow?? Should we just buy new & hope for a "good one"? (Hannay has been little help) rscvp

try taking some penetrating oil like deep creep and spraying it in where the shaft goes into the casing. we have problems with ours all the time slowly freezing up if they are subjected to the weather alot

indyturf
05-14-2007, 08:03 PM
have you checked the tightness of the chains? if they are too tight it will slow the speed down.

RigglePLC
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
If you swapped the whole reel--now swap the motor only. Is it a reel problem or motor problem? The reels have a bearing at each end--difficult to oil em, but if you stand the reel on end--maybe gravity will allow some oil into bearing. Also the hose swivel--these can get tight and may need to be lubed, rebuilt or replaced. As above, tight or rusty chain can be the problem.

How does the motor run without the chain in place? With the chain off--can you turn the motor by hand? Double check all the electrical wire, including the solenoids and the switches and particularly the ground wire. Make sure the ground goes directly to the truck frame and is making good contact. Make sure no skinny wires are in the curcuit anywhere.

Sure you can take them apart. Remove two long through bolts. (they may break). Use a screwdriver and pry or drive the two ends off the main case. Be gentle--the main center part of the case contains 4 big permanent magnets--they are glued to the inside of the case. If one has come unglued it will rub. Pull it out and throw it away. The motor will run almost as well with the three remaining magnets. Lube anything that looks like a bearing. The carbon brushes are spring loaded--you need four hands to put it back together.

Good winter project. It is easier to buy a new motor.

americanlawn
05-15-2007, 06:32 PM
We've pretty much tried all of the above//we keep the stainless swivels greased, spray the ends of the shafts, lube the chains, chains are not too tight, swapped motors only onto other spray trucks, taken apart the motors & sprayed electrical lube inside, tested the voltage in the wires from the battery to the motors, etc.
Then we tried to use old TruGreen motors, but they were froze up and just as corroded as the TG hose reels, i.e.they were basket cases.

I think RigglePLC has the best solution to our prob --- buy new ones. Best price was at Minnesota Wanner ($210).

What I can't figure out is one of our 1990 motors is the fastest one we have??? Our slowest is about ten years old.

Thanks guys + any other suggestions are welcome. Electrically stupid, americanlawn

somo1
05-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Just curious are the sprockets all the same size, on the hose reel and motors? This would definitely change the speed.

vegomatic40
05-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Try checking to make sure you have a good ground first. Ground it to the truck frame if possible not the reel frame. Also using a size 10-12 guage wire to be certain there is no resistance.