PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on the brown bed edger.....

mcwlandscaping
05-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Honestly, i think it sucks. The small tires make it a total pita to manuver, there is no sight of the cutting edge and exactly where it is (there is a way to line it up, but that was hard to make happen). The thing is very heavy, trying to lug it backwards up any hill terrain. Also, when it would hit a big root or something it would stall out and make a mess of the edge. When you are pulling it backwards, the left wheel closest to you drops off into the pre-existing edge so it's like you are dragging the weight of the machine on this little metal skid plate that's on the bottom, dumb design IMO.

It did leave a nice edge, and was faster than by hand (most of the time), but, I think i really want to try out a little wonder bed shaper.

Just wanted to share this, luckily i didn't buy this thing, but just rented it for the day (did about 1000 ft. of edging after school).

mcwlandscaping
05-14-2007, 08:35 PM
After reading some other posts on here about it just now, i think i just may have had my hopes up a lot too high about the ease of use.

I still really want to try that little wonder bed shaper though especially after seeing their video :)

troy03
05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
The brown bed edgers are the best for new installs. We rarely use it for maintenance because of the mess it makes. They are alot easier to use if its steerable.

Lawnworks
05-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Honestly, i think it sucks. The small tires make it a total pita to manuver, there is no sight of the cutting edge and exactly where it is (there is a way to line it up, but that was hard to make happen). The thing is very heavy, trying to lug it backwards up any hill terrain. Also, when it would hit a big root or something it would stall out and make a mess of the edge. When you are pulling it backwards, the left wheel closest to you drops off into the pre-existing edge so it's like you are dragging the weight of the machine on this little metal skid plate that's on the bottom, dumb design IMO.

It did leave a nice edge, and was faster than by hand (most of the time), but, I think i really want to try out a little wonder bed shaper.

Just wanted to share this, luckily i didn't buy this thing, but just rented it for the day (did about 1000 ft. of edging after school).

I had the same opinion about it when I rented it for a renovation. It was hard to steer... it always wanted to choke down... it seemed like the belt was never tight enough. I thought it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread w/ how people talk about them on here... but w/ my experiences I just about wanted to dump that pos in the lake.

PatriotLandscape
05-15-2007, 08:24 AM
I like them but we don't use them for small spaces

Daner
05-15-2007, 08:49 AM
The Brown and the Little wonder are too bulky IMO...Like said above...good for new installs. I saw a nice edger at a show this spring...It was a Eliet #501...I have never tryed one...but It looked like It would be great for dressing as well as new installs...just a thought.

Daner
05-15-2007, 09:04 AM
here's the link http://www.elietmachines.com/functions/products.asp?PCat=2&PSCat=8&PGroup=1&ProdID=13 check this one out...alot easier that doing it by hand

I'm calling for a price right now.

Brad Ent
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Fellow LCO's
What is the best bed edger to sharpen up existing beds in rocky soil??
We just quoted a job that entails 300 ft of edging and plan to rent a bed edger.
This is the first time I've seen any negative feedback on the Brown edger

start2finish
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
we use a bluebird edger. it take a little getting used to, my best advise is not to drag it too fast. allow time for the blades to cut an edge and clean out. then slowly! drag it along. we haven't had many issues unless we are on a hillside then it gets tricky.

SpruceLandscape
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
the little wonder bed shaper is the best bed edger I've ever used, hands down! its easy to clean, just pick up the ribbon of sod when you are done, its easy to maneuver, even on hills. I have used the stand alone unit and the unit that hooks onto Walker mowers. Both do an awesome job. The walker unit is a little easier because its on the tractor which has 26hp instead of just the 14 that the stand alone has, but the walker also limits where you can get it when you are working near fences, buildings, etc.

geoscaper
05-17-2007, 01:53 AM
The brown does have its pros and cons. It's great for creating new beds, and in dry soils. It also makes a nice deep edge. Drawbacks include it's heavy and awkward. It's hard to edge up hills, and I would prefer to go forward compared to pulling backward.