PDA

View Full Version : Stopped By C.v.i Today

milsaps118
05-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I got stopped today by one of the MN State patrol Commercial Vehicle Inspectors. What a PITA. He followed me right into one of my commercial accounts. I pulled over off to the side of the street to park where I always do and sure enough he stopped right behind me. I sat in the truck to fill out some paper work and he comes walking up and asks.."what'd ya pull over for?" I said, "what do you mean? I mow this place." This was his response, "Ohhh....., license, health card, insurance, and registration." He check me for everything with a fine tooth comb. Tested the brakes on the truck, trailer, horn, wipers, heater, defroster, lights, turn signals, I mean everything! I asked him what he was going to stop me for (since I beat him to it) and he said that my window tint looked to dark (I knew it was). He puts his meter on my window and it read 32%. He told me that it couldn't be no less than 70% on a commercial vehicle, and just because I was pulling my trailer I was, at that point considered a comm'l veh. What a joke! I passed everything else and had all the necessary requirements according to MNDOT so he gave me 2 options. 1- Get a ticket for $150 and have to take off the tint or 2 - Get a warning and take off the tint on the spot. Well obliviously I opted for option 2. I asked him how many lawn care and landscapers that he has inspected have passed inspection on the first time... and he said, "to be honest with ya your the first one since April and all this month so far".

Even with some smart ass comments (from me) he still was pretty fair to me and didn't bust my balls to bad. I talked to some of my other buddies who are LCO's and some have been stopped by this same inspector and they said he wrote them for every little thing he could find. One of my buddies got his trailer RED TAGGED and fined $3200 for violations. I heard from others that this inspector is notorious for writing tickets for everything he can find.

So for some of you guys out there, make sure your truck, trailer and credentials are on the up and up, or be ready to pull the check book out and go to court for violations. Not to mention he took 45min out of my busy day!

GOOD LUCK!:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

ChadsLawn
05-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Wow, IM glad I dont live up there..What is the health card for?

milsaps118
05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Wow, IM glad I dont live up there..What is the health card for?

A D.O.T Physical, your Doc will issue you a D.O.T Health Card. Its required in MN if your in combination (vehicle/trailer) of over 10,100lbs doing work "for hire".

topsites
05-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Many people tried to tell me, but I didn't listen for many years, I got into my 30's before I figured it out...

The gist of it is, cops don't pull you over because of whatever they tell you they pulled you over for. Technically speaking they do, but cops are human, and thus they pull over the easy targets, which is to say, that which catches the eye.

Flashy cars, loud stereos, BIG rims or wide-set tires, neon lighting, you name it, any modification beyond stock is a red flag waving to the police 'hey here look.'

In short, Bro' filing :)
Yes, I know profiling is against the law per se, but fitting the profile is what gets you pulled over, end of discussion. Why would an officer pull someone over who doesn't fit the profile (read: of a small time criminal, a juvie, or a delinquent in some kind of way), because it doesn't make sense to pull Joe Average over, it's no fun, there's nothing to be had.

ALL brand new equipment trailer and truck would do it, as might some really dilapidated crap looking like it might fall apart, but also having something on you or your vehicle that you know is against the law will do it. But more than anything, profiling, or trying to be cool.

How they know is the look on your face, maybe they read your mind, idk but what I do know is if you're doing something wrong or you know something is wrong, no matter how you try and hide it, it's an invitation.

Remove your window tint and stop trying to be cool, and your problem is fixed.

I haven't been pulled over in years, but then I accept I am puny, nothing, just a dumbo redneck goin' about his business, for the grace of god here I go.
They don't even follow me, ever.

That reminds me, one of my cars the plates expired last month :laugh:

lawncuttinfoo
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
MN cvi pulled me over last year, they tickets me $150 for having an unsecured load, ya know that dried mud that falls out of mower tire treads? that's an unsecured load in MN.

lazyike
07-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Imy window tint looked to dark (I knew it was). He puts his meter on my window and it read 32%. He told me that it couldn't be no less than 70% on a commercial vehicle,GOOD LUCK!:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

I use to work for the sheriffs department and we have a window tint meeter. just for kicks we checked to see what factory tint was, when we checked it was 55% to bad you didn't have him recheck after you pulled the tint off.

LindblomRJ
07-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Ah yes the DOT strip search. I haven't been stopped yet.

KrayzKajun
07-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Im glad the DOT here has better things to do than bother the LCOs

MarcSmith
07-13-2007, 02:10 PM
good job on being legit and up to snuff. Gotta remember the DOT guys really don't need a reason to pull you over I don't believe.

Yeah you lost 45 minutes, but now the DOT police knows you're a guy who follows the rules so its doubtful you'll get bothered again.

BTw how did you remove the tint "on the spot" with out the windows being a sticky mess....

txgrassguy
07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I have been pulled over several times - well actually flagged down.
The last time when I pulled into the containment area the DPS Trooper starts walking up to my truck then just waves me off.
Being naturally suspicious I got out and asked him if he was finished with me and his response was yes as he and the other CMV enforcement Troopers know my mowers are chained down and that everything is alright.
So I'm thinking COOL, I'm outta here like crap from a goose and proceed to the next city for jobs I had scheduled that day.
And proceed to get a $304.00 ticket for not wearing my seat belt ( I was grooving from the pass by DPS and forgot to secure it) and a $175.00 for my trucks' state inspection being out of date by three freaking days.

hess
07-15-2007, 09:24 AM
They can stay away from me

Garden Thyme
07-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Maybe he's got some family or friends as LCO's and are just looking out for them by harrasing all the other LCO's.

MarcSmith
07-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Maybe he's got some family or friends as LCO's and are just looking out for them by harrasing all the other LCO's.

Or maybe...god forbid, he's just doing his job instead of sitting at the diner guzzling coffee and donughts....:confused: :confused:

My father was a police officer. and he expained that being a police office is a lot like going fishing.... Even though you may WANT to catch all the fish, it never ends up happening quite that way....

Johnny law in most cases has no idea who/what/when/were you are when they decide to pull you over, they have no personal vendetta agains your or LCO's. He's just doing his job trying to make the roads a safer place. and if johnny law pulls over 10 LCO's and 8 of em have something wrong, You damn sure know he's gonna keep pulling em over.