PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires wearing, all differently.

CK82
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I dont know if anyone has any ideas on this, but my tandem axle landscape trailers tires are all wearing differently. On the left side the front is wearing on the inside heavily, the back left is wearing evenly but not as much. On the right side the front looks almost new and the back right is also wearing somewhat evenly. I am not sure if the axles are out of line or what is exactly going on here. I know that the rear ones slide when turing sharp so those should wear more so than the others. What I'm not understanding is the one good tire and the other that is wearing heavily on the inside. I am looking into to some new tires, but want to try and fix this problem before any new ones are installed. Any tips or ideas will help!

Chris

Petr51488
05-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't have a tandem, but my guess would be that your trailer isn't sitting level. That will do it to your tires.

turboawd
05-14-2007, 11:30 PM
maybe the brakes are not applying evenly between wheels also.

PLM-1
05-14-2007, 11:36 PM
All of the above. I have a terrible time with trailer tires. I finally switched to a good set of radials and the problems have slowed down. Make sure you rotate them often. trailers are strange, it's probably my #1 problem.

muddstopper
05-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Check out the centering pin between your axle and springs to make sure it hasnt sheared. I have seen many tire wear problems and all it took was a new centerpin to fix it. They often shear if you have hit a curb or pothole in the road and let the axle slide back of center. Also, uneven load distribution will cause excessive wear on the tire. Low air pressure on one tire or simply greaseing the pivit points between the axle springs are also good suspects.

DLCS
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
All the above.LOL So many things can affect trailer tires. I go through about 2 tires a year on my tandem trailer. Some trailer tires are just junk to begin with. You have to remember trailers take on alot of abuse, the constant twisting and turning, unlevel loads, and some trailers are not straight when they are new.

xcopterdoc
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Also, it's who made em. When you make a car chassis or a truck chassis, it's all done on jigs and its a done deal. Everything is in the same location and the suspension is adjustable for the differences. On trailers... weld em up. That's why the inside wear on the left front and the outside wear and the right rear and one or two seem to be ok. I'm sure they have jigs and set ups too but it all depends on quality. a lot of production trailer places pay their people piece rate. The more you turn, the more you earn. Go figure.

ATL Lawn
05-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Don't drink and drive

http://ehoez.com/beer.jpg