PDA

View Full Version : which is the best software to design landscaping

shade tree landscaping
05-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Which is the best software to design landscapeing on a persons home? I took digital pics of the house and yard and wanna show the customer what it is gonna look like ahead of time. Anyone have any suggestions?

scholzee
05-15-2007, 10:26 AM
There is a free version here to play around with http://sketchup.google.com/

LarryF
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
There is a free version here to play around with http://sketchup.google.com/

Thanks for the post. I looked at that, and it seems to me that the freebie one is pretty slick. Haven't had time to learn much about it yet, but in playing with it for a few minutes I can see that it has some very nice features.

scholzee
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Your welcome hopefully others will chime in, not sure if you posted in the landscape forum, maybe more suggestions there. I have basically used sketchup for some rooms in my house and showing the wife how furniture will fit in a room. Did not do any landscaping or use it to show customers, I am also still learning it, the tutorials helped me learn quicker.

Dreams To Designs
05-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Drafix Pr Landscape is a great software package for 3D image presentation and plans. It is professional grade and it's price reflects that. If you do not do a lot of design work, you may be better off using the skills and abilities of a designer that can create images to help you sell and plans with materials lists to allow you to build what you sell. In your area the design rate should be between $50 & $75 per hour.

Horticopia will also help you sell as you can create excellent presentation materials for your plants with helpful pictures. Many clients today prefer the visuals these programs can add to your presentation and sales pitch. Just be aware that no software will help you design, but will allow you to convey your ideas to your clients in a way that will aid in their understanding what you are going to do.

Kirk

PaperCutter
05-16-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm a huge SketchUp fan, and there are great add-on rendering programs like Kerkythea that can take it to a whole new level. That said, I don't consider it to be really helpful for presenting softscapes. The plants that come with it are pretty basic; I've spent over a year buying, modifying and searching out good-looking plant material. I use it for selling hardscapes- this pic happens to be of a porch we sold. It's great for decks and additions because you can see conflicts in the model before they ever get to the builder.

As self-serving as it is, I agree with Kirk- if you don't do it a lot, hiring a designer can be a good way to go and it's not as outrageously expensive as you might think.

Dave