PDA

View Full Version : Rider 155 with starting issue

HV155R
05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I have a Husqvarna Rider 155 and it will not start, nor turn the starter over when I use the key switch. It happened periodically in the past but now won't start with the key switch at all.

However I can get it started and keep it running when I jump the two leads on the device that is next to the battery. When I do this I turn the key to the run position.

Can someone provide me with a wiring diagram of this unit? I have the owners manual for the mower & engine but feel I need a wiring diagram.

Restrorob
05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Do you hear a clicking noise when you try to start it ?

If so the devise you are jumping across is bad and needs replacing, It's called a solenoid.

HV155R
05-15-2007, 12:59 PM
There is no click noise when I turn the key switch to activate the starter.

When I turn the key switch from off to on, the fuel pump gets power.

Pretty new:
The mower is only 3 years old or so and always been stored inside. It has only been used to cut my yard, 1/2 acre worth of lawn.

khouse
05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Listen to Restrorob and eliminate the most likely device - the solenoid. It's not much money and either it will fix the problem or direct us in helping you further.

HV155R
05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Since it does not click I will take try what is suggested here, as is sounds like a similar problem/issue:

"You will need a volt meter and set it to DC volts
-Check the battery for 12.5 Volts
-Check the cables attached to the battery for the same voltage checking for good connections
-Attach the positive side of the volt meter to the + side of the battery and the negative side to the engine block, Still got 12 Volts? If not the ground from battery is bad.

-Now keep the ground on the negative side of battery
-follow positive cable to the solenoid and hook volt meter on the cable going TO the starter coming from the opposite side of the solenoid.
Turn key to "start" position you should have 12 + volts

YES-Check the same way on the starter motor where the cable FROM solenoid connects, If less or no voltage then cables or connections bad, If good voltage then starter is bad

NO- Take positive lead from volt meter to small wire going to solenoid and test for 12 Volts with key in the "start" position, If no voltage to small wire safety switch is telling it not to crank or ignition switch is bad (rare) If it does have voltage the solenoid needs replacing (common)"

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lawn-garden/husqvarna-will-not-turn-over-but-runs-jump-79993.html

HV155R
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I wish I could say that I found the problem, but the mower started right up when I was going to diagnose the problem. It has started up every time since then too. I'm sure the problem will pop up again and I'll be sure to test it then.

Bill Kapaun
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM
It might be an ignition/key switch on it's way out.
Loose connector plug on the switch.
Loose connection between the plug & solenoid.
IF it does it again, wiggle your connections before replacing parts.