PDA

View Full Version : I'm losing the weed war

whitenack
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
A few years ago, I had some old yew bushes removed from the front of our house. After their removal, we had a considerable area in the front of the house that we mulched and planted some small boxwoods and barberry bushes.

However, evidently this new sun exposure on this area has opened up the pandora's box of weeds. There is a pesky vine weed that grows straight from the ground and wraps around whatever it can find. I have cut it down, pulled it out, sprayed it, etc., and it keeps coming back. I have heard that it is a type of weed that multiplies when it is cut, so pulling it out of the ground may actually be helping it. It wraps itself in the new bushes, so spraying is not an option. I have tried "painting" the weed killer on some leaves, but that is just a drop in the bucket.

I have thought about yanking the new plants and tilling everything up but I spent a lot of money on those bushes. I also thought about sowing grass seed there, hoping the grass would outcompete the weeds. I'd rather not do that, because I like the looks of the mulched bed.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Rtom45
05-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing your problem weed is kudzu, but I'm too far north to have any experience with it. Why don't you google kudzu and see what you come up with?

whitenack
05-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks. I looked around online and think it is field bindweed or some relative. Similar to Kudzu in its behavior, but not the same leaf.