PDA

View Full Version : Securing landscape timbers

mpm32
05-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm installing timbers, 4"x6" as a border to contain mulch for a swingset/playground area. Any ideas to secure it to the ground? I was thinking of using 30" pieces of galvanized pipes sledgehammered through pre-drilled holes. My only concern with that is how to make the tops of the pipes kid friendly? They will be hammered flush.

Any other ideas?

MILSINC
05-15-2007, 11:55 AM
You could use cut pieces of rebar, or 12" spikes (big-ass nails).

leejp
05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm installing timbers, 4"x6" as a border to contain mulch for a swingset/playground area. Any ideas to secure it to the ground? I was thinking of using 30" pieces of galvanized pipes sledgehammered through pre-drilled holes. My only concern with that is how to make the tops of the pipes kid friendly? They will be hammered flush.

Any other ideas?

If it's a flat area and you don't have to stack the timbers... do what I did... I think you'll like it much better. Trench and bury the timbers so the top surface is flush with your lawn, line the playset area with weed block and fill it with peastone/peagravel so that the peastone is slightly below the timber but not so far that it's a trip hazard.

There are manay advantages to this approach.

The lawn and peastone will keep the timbers in place without any additional drilling/securing.
No trip hazards
easier mowing/edging (wheel the mower right on the timbers)
Peastone drains/dries faster than mulch and the kids won't ruin their Sunday best.
You can blow debris/leaves right off the peastone
No need to replace the peastone every year due to decompopsition
Grass/weeds won't grow on the peastone

Grassmechanic
05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Drill through the timbers and drive a 3' piece of re-bar in. The timbers will stay in place.

MarcSmith
05-16-2007, 03:14 PM
just make sure you have utilities marked....I ended up driving though my water main at my house. 2" either direction I would have been fine. with the rebar

I knew "were it was" but not exactly...

then you can use a second rebar and "counter sink" the first one and you good to go.

Grassmechanic
05-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks Marc. I should have mentioned about having the utilities marked first.

It is easy to call them now - a nationwide toll free number - 811. Works great.