PDA

View Full Version : worms, army or what?

RigglePLC
05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Last night I tried flushing out insects by adding an ounce of Dawn detergent to bucket of water and poured it on my lawn. It was amazing. In 30 seconds these huge brown caterpillars came crawling to the surface, wiggling around. There were also smaller green caterpillars higher up on the grass, same as I found last week. The smaller ones did not seem to be much affected by the soap suds. I am thinking they are the same species, but younger version--but I am not sure.

Are they armyworms? What do you think? I will now try to post the pictures.
Thank you.

grassguy_
05-15-2007, 05:45 PM
yes, it appears you have armyworms, as usually the striping on the side is the giveaway. Or army Cutworm which are basically the same thing! Talstar or deltagard make a great supper for them.

lawnservice
05-15-2007, 06:33 PM
we use talstar (well we dont really have an army worm problem but a few years ago we had them in biblical proportions)
spray talstar and watch them squerm. by the time you kick your shoes off they'll be dead

DanielCo
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Most definetly Army Worm. The smaller green worms could be Sod Web Worm.

These pests have become a big problem down here in Sydney, damaging our warm season lawns through the Autumn (Fall) months just before the lawns head into the winter dormancy.

Not hard to control mind you, any broad spectrum insecticide will quickly take care of them as stated above.

americanlawn
05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Cutworms this time of year here in the upper Midwest. Spells of hot weather has brought them out early. Dylox will take 'em out.