PDA

View Full Version : Did weed and feed burn lawn

bbpropmaint
05-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Im in NY,and i am licensed.. it has been extrememly dry here and hot, temp some days in the mid 80s. i applied a weed and feed product containing 24d about three weeks ago and no rain yet.i applied product @ recommended rate,...... but like i said heat, no rain and product on the lawn and its starting to brown up pretty good, especially along edges of driveway..did i harm this lawn..what should i do????Is this happening to everyone????thanks guys i wish i had a local mentor, but lawn sites been very helpfull...

mkroher
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
are you sure it's not annual bluegrass getting cooked from the heat? I don't think you did anything wrong.

bbpropmaint
05-15-2007, 09:23 PM
it may be annual bluegrass but could the lawn suffer if it doesent rain soon???and the temp just keep increasing witht is product on the lawn..the lawn is not thick to start with

turf hokie
05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
More than likely some drought stress. We are seeing it down here on lawns that dont have irrigation on yet. Pretty unbelievable to be talking drought stress in mid May

lawnservice
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
typically a weed control or even fertilizer, if it is gonna burn, you will notice within 24-48 hours following application.

bbpropmaint
05-15-2007, 09:52 PM
my concern is increasing temps with no rain with product down..

indyturf
05-15-2007, 09:55 PM
its getting very dry here too! but temps are supposed to drop tonight. I would ask the customer to water in the application.

bbpropmaint
05-15-2007, 10:48 PM
what if watering in is not an option???thanks guys i just am exttremly nervous on this one..tough customer as it is...

cantoo
05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
What do the nearby lawns look like? Are they stressed to?

Shades of Green LService
05-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Your only option IS to WATER.

TurfProSTL
05-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Quit losing sleep over it. You didn't burn anything. The lawn needs water.

mkroher
05-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Why would you apply weed & Feed without the help of rain/water anyways. It's supposed to go on a wet lawn so it sticks to the leaf. The product will break down from sunlight and mircoorganisms and get in the soil. The 2-4D is a lost cause at this point, you wasted your customer's money. Ever hear of liquid broadleaf control?

greenfinger
05-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Your only option IS to WATER.

I would definitely agree. I put down weed and feed about two weeks ago when it was really cool and there was the morning dew and now the areas of the lawn that arent suffering from moss and baldspots are rich and full. I would also recommend a light water. I'm also in NY and the nights have been slightly cool unless the temp near you is different. I would recommend a light water at night.