PDA

View Full Version : Trucks? Newer Or Older

DSLND
05-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Hey guys,

Been doing a lot of debating lately even though it is early. In October of 2008 i plan on buying my truck so i can start plowing with my dad by my side with my driver's permit (get license of Feb. 2009). Now i love the style of the older 90's model of the Chevy 2500HD. But on the other hand i would like a newer truck for a newer image. The truck will also serve as my daily driver unless my dad gets rid of his Jeep, then i will use that to drive to school and go take estimates. The truck will be lettered, have a 7'6" or 8' Western Plow on front, E-Z Dump Dump Insert in the bed and a tail gate spreader. I would like to spend $15k or less and with the thought of an older truck, i could really keep my account at a high basis for later purchases. The truck will not be "abused" but will be worked hard. What's your input? Thanks! -Mitch-

Scag48
05-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Having a new truck isn't going to make you any more money than the guy running something that's 20 years old. Sure guys will argue that with a newer truck you'll have less of a risk of a breakdown, which will cost you money, but I'm good with a wrench in my hand and have chosen to drive trucks a few years old. My F150 has 200K on it, doesn't even cross my mind when I'm driving it. Truck is very, very clean body wise, people think it has half the miles it actually has on it. I'd say buy something a little older, but find one that's clean and you'll have the last laugh. A professional image for cheap is the route to take, you'll save on insurance and you can take the money saved to cover rising fuel prices :drinkup: Plus, older trucks are easier and cheaper to get parts for. I've found new motors for my truck for $1500 right here in WA, tough to beat that. I could drop a new motor in the truck, a new clutch, new rear-end if I needed it, new shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, tires, and be out the door for $3500. I only paid $2K for my truck and I could do a ton of work to it and only be into the truck for $5500. After all that work she'd go another 13 years without a doubt. Really depends on how bad you want a new truck. Me personally, I could care less how new my rig is.

dozerman21
05-15-2007, 11:28 PM
As young as you are, definetly go for a clean, good running older truck.

I would go with a '96 or newer Chevy/GMC. Get one with a 350 engine. The Vortec 350 came out in '96, and the interior was upgraded in '95. The Vortec 350 (different heads) is a great engine. I've worked them hard and they always had good power and were very reliable. They're not bad to work on either.

If you're going to plow snow, get an extended cab. You'll be glad you did for many reasons. Also, get some Timbren load boosters in the front to keep the truck from sagging with a plow on. You might want them for the rear too if you're installing a dump insert.

You should be able to find a nice truck for $15,000 or less. You can even find one with only around 60-75K miles if you do your homework and be patient. It might not be as nice as a new truck, but your wallet will be happy.:cool2:

Mark13
05-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Id say get a obs (88-98) chevy k2500. Those look the best and with the 4l80e trans and 350 vortec they are reliable. My 98 k1500hd has the 350 in it with 146k on it and the miles don't bother me at all. Make sure you get a 2500 with 8 lugs, they made 6 lug light duty 2500s also. Also parts for the older chevys are easy to come by. Also the 2500s had 3 engine choices- 6.5l diesel, 7.4l bbc, or the 350 sbc. I'm pretty big into the older chevy trucks so PM me if you have questions when I get enough posts to activate it.

Mark13
05-16-2007, 01:05 AM
btw, how do I get my Pms to work?? I thought it was like 10 posts or something until they kicked in?

LindblomRJ
05-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Have a 79 Ford F-150 and a 96 K-2500. I don't mind the 350, the 4l80e is not a bad transmission.

Something dependable, something that looks nice. Doesn't need to be brand new.

TWUllc
05-16-2007, 06:30 PM
If you'd be paying in cash, I'd put $10,000 down and finance the rest on a new Gasser pickup.

hosejockey2002
05-16-2007, 09:03 PM
JMHO, if you want to spend your time landscaping, buy the new truck. If you want to spend your time either working on your truck or waiting while it's in the shop buy the old one. Better yet, buy two so there's a good chance at least one will be running. I've done both, the overall cost is around the same. I like landscaping much better than wrenching, so I bought a new truck, and I'm much happier now. YMMV.

DSLND
06-09-2007, 11:38 PM
What do you guys think along the lines of a Duramax Diesel? With the way gas is, i think it will be benefical. -Mitch-

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I agree w/ Scag48. I would buy a good used truck. People forget to tell you new trucks break down too! For 15k you could buy a very dependable truck.

It is all about the bottom line... it is not how you look... it is about profit. I would try to stay out of debt as much as possible.

DSLND
06-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Definetly will not be heading into debt. I've used that in the past and hated it. Will pay cash while leaving a couple thousand in the account. -Mitch-

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 12:13 AM
JMHO, if you want to spend your time landscaping, buy the new truck. If you want to spend your time either working on your truck or waiting while it's in the shop buy the old one. Better yet, buy two so there's a good chance at least one will be running. I've done both, the overall cost is around the same. I like landscaping much better than wrenching, so I bought a new truck, and I'm much happier now. YMMV.

I don't think the overall cost is the same... not w/ diesel trucks... mine won't stop.

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Definetly will not be heading into debt. I've used that in the past and hated it. Will pay cash while leaving a couple thousand in the account. -Mitch-

I have had nice trucks before... and it just sucks to spend 20-30k on a truck and then a couple years down the road it is worth half that... I try to get away w/ 5 year old diesel trucks that will run forever and put as much money as possible in savings accounts, land, etc. You gotta think about building your net worth... and as young as you are if you start now... you will retire by 40.

hosejockey2002
06-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I have had nice trucks before... and it just sucks to spend 20-30k on a truck and then a couple years down the road it is worth half that... I try to get away w/ 5 year old diesel trucks that will run forever

New trucks do depreciate, but that depreciation is tax deductible- if you happen to pay taxes. Nothing wrong with newer used trucks- 5 years old is not exactly old. Nothing runs forever, even if the diesel motor lasts a long time the rest of the truck will start nickel and diming you. It's not so much repair costs that will kill you, it's down time. Either way works, you just go with what works best for you.

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 07:06 PM
New trucks do depreciate, but that depreciation is tax deductible- if you happen to pay taxes. Nothing wrong with newer used trucks- 5 years old is not exactly old. Nothing runs forever, even if the diesel motor lasts a long time the rest of the truck will start nickel and diming you. It's not so much repair costs that will kill you, it's down time. Either way works, you just go with what works best for you.

Even though depreciating is tax deductible... it is still less mony in the bank. You only save the 30% they tax you or whatever your rate is. 70% is lost.

I know you have to have dependable work trucks... but I don't think you have to have a 50k truck to cut grass(not saying you use a 50k truck, but in my town I see all these guys driving these super nice trucks to work out of!)... I use 5-10 year old trucks and I am able to easily afford a back-up truck so there is never any down time.

Here is an example of one of my trucks... I bought a '94 Dodge 3500 diesel for $3500 w/ 230k on the clock. By the time I got it painted my company color, lettered, and had a lawn maintenance body put on it I had about $7000 in it. The truck is still running 5 years laters and has 315k on the clock. It cost me about $500 average per year in repairs, and it won't quit. Even though it has payed for itself 50 times over, I can't justify replacing it till it blows. The AC still blows cold and it is more efficient than my NPR.

DSLND
06-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info! I either want a truck like this:

The truck pictured may acually be in my posession next year. If i can convince Ryan to sell it. It also has an e-z dump insert. -Mitch-

DSLND
06-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Or if i and my bank account agree, then i may go for one of these baby's! -Mitch-

tacoma200
06-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Even though depreciating is tax deductible... it is still less mony in the bank. You only save the 30% they tax you or whatever your rate is. 70% is lost.

I know you have to have dependable work trucks... but I don't think you have to have a 50k truck to cut grass(not saying you use a 50k truck, but in my town I see all these guys driving these super nice trucks to work out of!)... I use 5-10 year old trucks and I am able to easily afford a back-up truck so there is never any down time.

Here is an example of one of my trucks... I bought a '94 Dodge 3500 diesel for $3500 w/ 230k on the clock. By the time I got it painted my company color, lettered, and had a lawn maintenance body put on it I had about $7000 in it. The truck is still running 5 years laters and has 315k on the clock. It cost me about $500 average per year in repairs, and it won't quit. Even though it has payed for itself 50 times over, I can't justify replacing it till it blows. The AC still blows cold and it is more efficient than my NPR.

I'm with Lawnworks That first couple of years you take a beating (depreciation) tax write off or not on a new one. Especially a young guy starting out.

hosejockey2002
06-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I know you have to have dependable work trucks... but I don't think you have to have a 50k truck to cut grass(not saying you use a 50k truck, but in my town I see all these guys driving these super nice trucks to work out of!)

I'm with ya 100% there. My truck was 23K brand new (with dump insert) and it will do anything related to landscaping the 50K pickups will, just not as comfy or flashy.

BltFordTuf
06-11-2007, 12:55 AM
dream cut

i bought a 98 f-150 ext cab short bed with almost 120,000 miles last august. It was 6000 and 2000 in repairs, including the side marker poles up front, tool box, and running lights up top. I love the truck and plan on it lasting abother 6-7 years. Once i am out of college i will probably buy a new truck

As a first truck it is safer to get an older one. My buddy just took his 98 dakota through someones back bumper and was okay, because the truck is ten years old and only cost 8700. He still that the bank account to fix it.

my truck

his truck

Thats cool that your dad is willing to go out with you while you plow. Sometimes i go out with the company my dad works for and run a backhoe or older utility body in a storm
here's a pic from their recent snow-removal ad

-Doug

RedWingsDet
06-11-2007, 12:59 AM
I only buy new. Its mostly personal prefrence IMO. I want something that will make me money and I dont have to worry about breaking down. Now, they all have their problems, but newer usually has less of a chance. From now on, starting last year, I plan on buying new and selling after 10 years.

stroker51
06-11-2007, 02:00 AM
I've never had a new truck, and with the price of a new diesel, I don't see that being anywhere near a justifiable purchase. I just looked at an identical, only brand new, replacement of my truck. 2008 F250 4x4 ext. cab, powerstroke 4x4 XLT, $53K. My 96 F250 Powerstroke 4x4 5 speed ext. cab was $9500 with 145K in 2005. Purchase price new in april 1996 for $31k. I've got close to 200k on it, and it's been paid for since the middle of last year, and it's a great truck. I paid 5K for my 89 FSuperDuty with a 12' dump and a diesel, and I gave $1000 for the 1984 F250 that i'm putting my plow on. they all need a little work to keep goin, but they're all paid for and make me money every time i use one. On the other side of the coin, i'm looking for a 2001-2002 F250 or 350 crew cab short bed powerstroke for my personal pickup, and to hang a new plow on, just for reliabilty and comfort. I'm planning on buying a house next year so I figure I better buy a new(er) truck now if I'm going to do it at all in the next several years. I like having my trucks paid for, and am pretty decent with a wrench in my hand, so newer old trucks have been a good investment for me over the years.

tacoma200
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
You would go broke real fast in the snow plowing business around here. Not one lot needed plowing this year.

DSLND
06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all of the input! Remember this will be my first truck. What do you think the best purchase would be? Newer diesel, older gas? -Mitch-

Lawnworks
06-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I have had good luck w/ '94-2002 dodge diesels and '99-03 isuzu cabovers.

Groundwork
06-11-2007, 11:25 PM
If your looking for the C/K style pick up, mines for sale. I thing the truck has every thing your looking for, and is capable of everything you plan on doing. Truck is a 2000 GMC 2500 (C/K Series) with about 62,000 miles. It's an automatic, 4x4, 5.7L, Heavy duty suspension with rear Timbrens, A/C, Tilt, Cruise, Cloth Seats, Vinyl floor, Pioneer CD player, Truck also includes, Remote Start, Aluminum diamond plate tool box, Weather Guard cab protector, with PSE amber LED light ($900 value, new this past fall), Two sets of wheels, Summer tires new last season, Winter tires have about one more winter left.
Tuck also has an 8.5' 32 series Sno-Way Stainless Steel Plow. Plow is new this season, and was installed on truck this past October. Plow has wireless remote, down-pressure and steel curb guards to protect the edge. Plow is in excellent condition and can really move and stack some snow.
Also included is a 6' Sno-Way Stainless Steel Electric V-box salt spreader. Spreader has 12" side extensions to increase capacity to that of an 8' spreader. Two amber LED lights built into the back for added safety.
Truck is in great shape and had served me well. I've owned the truck since it had 16,000 miles and have had no major issues with it. Truck plows great and pulls the trailer great. All equipment was used only by myself since I worked alone. I only had about 10-15 summer customers and about 15 winter customers since I also worked a 40 hour work week. Truck is no longer lettered. Asking $19,000

TWUllc
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
For a 1st truck, I'd suggest you get yourself a used half ton. Use it for a year or two until you're sure this is what you want to do. Then buy something newer/bigger.

stroker51
06-12-2007, 01:03 AM
If he wants to plow though I wouldn't recommend the half ton. You can pick up an older 3/4 ton pretty decent, the older Ford diesels and the cummins trucks can be bought pretty reasonable, and will hold a plow a lot better than a half ton will. If you go with a Ford though, get a F350 for the solid front axle, or be prepared to do some front suspension work at some time on a 97 and older 3/4 ton, add-a-leafs, timbrens, both, whatever, the split front end doesn't hold a plow real well, not like the D60's in the tonners.