PDA

View Full Version : How often is too much Fertalizer

troutfishing15
05-15-2007, 10:59 PM
So i've been mowing a contract and its Bermuda grass. Well i guess 2 months ago i got the local co-op to come and spray and fertilize. And now its not that dark green but kinda lighter color. The customer wants it darker and so do i. . Also watering it 2 times daily. It takes about an hour and half mowing and trimming. But my question is can you ever fertilize and spray for weeds too much. And mowing about every 4 days at 4 inches.

Shades of Green LService
05-15-2007, 11:07 PM
So i've been mowing a contract and its Bermuda grass. Well i guess 2 months ago i got the local co-op to come and spray and fertilize. And now its not that dark green but kinda lighter color. The customer wants it darker and so do i. . Also watering it 2 times daily. It takes about an hour and half mowing and trimming. But my question is can you ever fertilize and spray for weeds too much. And mowing about every 4 days at 4 inches.

Follow label instructions for spraying. Fert only every 6-8 weeks. 3.5" for mowing is more than enough. Cut only 1/3 of grass blade per mowing.:)

TurfProSTL
05-15-2007, 11:23 PM
3.5 - 4" mowing height for bermuda? Try 1 - 2".

Bet your taller mowing height keeps lower grass blades shaded and off-color, resulting in overall discoloration after mowing.

mrkosar
05-15-2007, 11:27 PM

First off, watering it two times daily??? Good lord, no wonder fresh water will be the next sought after thing on the planet soon. Watering daily encourages disease and a shallow root system. Water twice a week...deep and infrequent.

You can fertilize too much and encourage a weaker blade more prone to disease and insect.

You can spray too much weed control and injure the grass or even kill it.

Sounds like you are mowing properly. Maybe too high for bermuda grass, but i don't know that much about warm season grasses.

Like shades said. Read the labels, ask experts at your local ag extension, university, or supplier. Maybe apply some iron to get a darker green, but like i'm sure someone will chime in...If you really want to get it a nice green, do a soil test and then apply the nutrients it is deficient in. Good luck and quit wasting so much water, these pretzels are making me thirsty.

troutfishing15
05-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't do the fert or spraying. I have the co op do it. Cost alot but i know its done right. But the reason i water twice is cause so much money on flowers

vegomatic40
05-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Common or Hybrid Bermuda? Mowing height does sound like it's way too high. I wouldn't be to sure about Co-op doing all that great of a job. What product(s) are they applying and at what rate?

troutfishing15
05-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Not to sure what the difference is. But the co op charges about 125. And does a great job. And i will try to get it down to 3.25 in the couple weeks.

TurfProSTL
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Max height for common bermuda should be 2", so keep lowering it. Just don't remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade at any 1 cut.

clallen03
05-17-2007, 08:53 PM
85% of my lawns are bermuda turf, and the average mowing height for weekly mowing is 2.5" and the deck needs to be raised as the season goes on. If you want to go by the book with the height you will have to cut it almost every other day to keep it that low, especially if it being fertilized.
Scalping is very important on this type of turf also. It will play a big factor in the height of the turf. If not scalped you will be mowing this turf very high to see any green, and mowing at these heights are unhealthy for the lawn.
As far as fertilizing. There is alot of factors on why the lawn isn't greening up. One of the major factors is soil PH. I had a lawn that I had dont 3 apps of a very well thought out fert program on and it looked like I had done nothing. All my other lawn were green for a while. I did a soil test and found out the PH was low. I got the PH in range and almost immediately the lawn greened up like I waived a magic wand over it.
If this guy is as good as you say he is then he knows this. You may just want to let him know what you and your client expects and maybe he can make some adjustments.

Hope this helps:)

tjsquickcuts
05-17-2007, 10:54 PM

I know why your grass is not dark green. Its your mowing height. Man its waaaay too early in the season to mowing at 4 inches. You are not allowing sun light to get to the bottom of the leaf blades to help it green up. You still have dormit grass on the bottom, and it needed to be removed in early spring. You might be too late, but you need to get your height down ASAP or you will continue to have a lite green lawn, and everytime you cut it, you will have blades of brown bermunda all over the lawn. I have just gotten my lawns to 2 inches this week, and with weekly service starting this week, I will try and maintain this height until late summer, and thats when I will let it get to about 2.5 to 3 inches to end the season. If that doesnt solve you problem, try so Nitro. I was a little ticked this week, because with the rains we got last week and this week, I have been having to double and triple cut some of our lawns because they grew so thick over the past week. Anyone else having a good season so far with their bermuda?

LawnJohn
05-17-2007, 11:36 PM
85% of my lawns are bermuda turf, and the average mowing height for weekly mowing is 2.5" and the deck needs to be raised as the season goes on. If you want to go by the book with the height you will have to cut it almost every other day to keep it that low, especially if it being fertilized.
Scalping is very important on this type of turf also. It will play a big factor in the height of the turf. If not scalped you will be mowing this turf very high to see any green, and mowing at these heights are unhealthy for the lawn.
As far as fertilizing. There is alot of factors on why the lawn isn't greening up. One of the major factors is soil PH. I had a lawn that I had dont 3 apps of a very well thought out fert program on and it looked like I had done nothing. All my other lawn were green for a while. I did a soil test and found out the PH was low. I got the PH in range and almost immediately the lawn greened up like I waived a magic wand over it.
If this guy is as good as you say he is then he knows this. You may just want to let him know what you and your client expects and maybe he can make some adjustments.

Hope this helps:)

Bingo!!

My lawns are beautiful.....well....only the irrigated ones... Most of my client's don't have time to water, but with the recent rain all my properties have taken off.

If the lawn has been fertilized, but the color isn't quite to the client's liking, use Ironite granular then ask the client to water the lawn after the application. It'll give you the dark green you're looking for without the excessive growth cause by the fert.

If you choose to go with a fertilizer go withLesco's 32-3-8 with Fe (iron) this is a 30% SCU (sulfer coated urea) slow release fert or a simular product.

With adequate watering you'll see noticible greening and growth in a week or so.

As for watering, I recommend water at least a 1" a week...How they do it is up to them. Bermuda doesn't need a lot of water and is heat tolerant.