PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a carburator

JimmyStew
05-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Small engine mechanics 101: How do I clean a carburator. My Briggs engine is on the fritz again - runs rough before firing white smoke out the muffler! - and I'd like to try cleaning the carb before buying a new one and/or bringing the machine the the dealer. Is there a solution I can soak it in to get into all those tiny little holes?

Restrorob
05-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Welcome to LawnSite !

Go to your local auto parts store and purchase a can of carb & choke spray cleaner, It will come with a little straw for spraying into ALL ports, passages and jets. Blow out with compressed air if available after spraying. Check tank for any trash and replace the fuel filter and flush fuel lines before re-connecting to carb.

Leave Gum-Out brand on the shelf !

JimmyStew
05-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Welcome to LawnSite !

Go to your local auto parts store and purchase a can of carb & choke spray cleaner, It will come with a little straw for spraying into ALL ports, passages and jets. Blow out with compressed air if available after spraying.

Did the trick. The mower had been sitting in the shed all of last summer and ran real rough when I fired it up last week. I figured it was going to need a good soaking in a solvent but spraying it with carb cleaner seems to have done the trick. Pouring rain today so I ran if a few minutes in the shop, not a real test drive! That, of course was after changing the pull rope that snapped in half when I tried to start it up....

scottp
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Also, in the future remember SeaFoam from your local auto parts store. Works great for small engine carb cleaning. just measure amount and put in gas.

JimmyStew
05-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Seafoam? Is it a gas additive.

Restrorob
05-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Yes, It's a fuel additive people put in their fuel trying to get out of paying us service techs. for cleaning their carb and fuel system PROPERLY. http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif

ChadsLawn
05-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Seafoam is an awesome product for all your gas engines..

Bigblue250
05-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Seafoam is great, as well as Berryman B-12, just don't use the whole can or you will melt the ends off the plugs(not that I know this first hand).