PDA

View Full Version : expense/sales percentages

Fivstringpicker
08-13-2001, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know where I can get average percentage of expense to revenue statistics for the lawn care industry? I'm trying to figure out how my ordinary expenses as a percentage of revenue compares to the industry and for every dollar revenue, how much should the average profit be. I know its different for every market, but I just want a comparison.

MATTHEW
08-13-2001, 03:54 PM
Try a search on the topic. I've heard some say that 35% expense/65% profit is very good. It may vary as the definition of "expense" varies. Some add in a lot of extra expenses like lunches,health insurance,cell phone bill, part of the mortgage for business use of the home, ect.

LoneStarLawn
08-13-2001, 04:28 PM
65% profit!!!! I wish....(Unless your not counting your salary as an expense) May want to reverse that.

I dont think the definition of expense varies it is just some may have more than others.

Allyn
08-13-2001, 07:01 PM
I know that when I was working at a ski resort in Park City, they said that it cost them $180.00 an hour for a snow cat to operate.
I figure that I need at least $60.00 to $65.00 an hour when I am at this site. If not I will not pay back my expences and build a fund for then next machine.

Also the resort turned in those cats every 3 years. So they used the right offs.

Allyn

MATTHEW
08-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Hey, lonestar, I WAS including my salary. I should have been more specific, as I am 100% solo presently.

Lanelle
08-13-2001, 09:31 PM
ALCA compiles and publishes these types of reports. I would guess that PGMS and PLACCA do too. Sometimes industry magazines discuss this topic.