PDA

View Full Version : trailer tool box

bobcatnj
05-16-2007, 09:34 PM
anyone use the truck mount tool box on a trailer tongue? if im spending 200 something on a trailer tongue box, i mind as well get a bigger one for around the same price. will it work?

Rizzo
05-17-2007, 10:49 PM
The thing you have to watch for is hitting the box when backing or turning sharp as using the truck box will be wider.

lifetree
05-17-2007, 11:11 PM
The thing you have to watch for is hitting the box when backing or turning sharp as using the truck box will be wider.

Rizzo is correct ... I have a tongue box on my trailer, it is 34" wide ... it has plenty of room !!

Duncan90si
05-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know if you have any stores in your area, but Tractor Supply Co. usually has a few different trailer tongue boxes.

Here is an aluminum one. Not sure of the price.
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=3&paID=1020&sonID=753&page=1&productID=28764

They also have a black plastic one too. (its not on their website) I just bought on of them. They are water tight, lockable, obviously rust free and weigh about only 5 lbs. The price was right too: $109 plus tax.

howardsells2000
05-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I put a truck box on the tongue of my trailer. It was called a tool chest. It is about 5 feet wide. However it does hit the corner of my bumper if I turn really sharp or backing and turning sharp. After the first time it hit and scraped the paint on my bumper it really hasn't caused any more damage. Of course I wish it didn't scatch the paint but now I'm used to it. I try to keep my truck in nice condition but I have to remember it is a work truck and will get a few scratches here and there. You will have a lot more room with one of these instead of the tongue boxes.

lawnspecialties
05-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Both my trailers won't allow a tool box since the trailer jack handle would be hitting it when lowering and raising the tongue.:confused:

Dstosh
05-19-2007, 10:32 PM
i have a plastic tool box on the tongue of my trailer with a top wind jack. I just welded a piece of metal on the jack to raise the handle above the tool box. i would post a pic but the weld didn't hold up all that well, will have to do it agian, not that big a deal takes two seconds to do.

FIRESCOOBY
05-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Check ebay.

I bought a new one about a year ago from some ebay store. It was the black plastic with locking hasp on it and I paid $90. It came in the box. I put it on my open trailer and had NO problems and it was very handy.

green814
05-20-2007, 10:21 AM
You may be able to get a longer ball mount to prevent the tool box hitting the bumper when turning. Just a thought.

Chris

muddstopper
05-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I have been running truck boxes for years, Heres a tip, by a toolbox off of a nissan or other small truck, unless you have a really short tongue or using a bumper ball, your bumper will hit the trailer corner before it hits the tool box. One of my trailers has a 5ft tongue and I use a full size truck box on it and havent bent it yet and I have bent my bumper. I also use reese slide in hitches and not just a bumper ball. I usually by my boxes used at the flea market. Why pay $200 for an aluminum tool box when you can get a used one for $50-$75 bucks and buy new locks at Lowes.

RockSet N' Grade
05-20-2007, 06:36 PM
You can never have too much storage space. I welded a flat piece of metal from the front of the trailer to the ball area for a floor on the tongue area. I made a fold down top over that. I also have an overdeck trailer, so I mounted 30" boxes underneath the deck on each side. I wish I had more storage space........