PDA

View Full Version : Missed Opportunities

Chris J
05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I wanted to share this with you because I think it is important to contractors as well as homeowners:
I did a job for a wealthy man several years ago, he moved further south to a multi million dollar home in Palm Coast and then let the builders "landscaper" install the lighting system. Two weeks after he moved in, he called me and told me to come re-do the lighting system because it was all screwed up. It was a Unique system of mostly well lights, some of which were already melted. Original landscapers cost was $4000; My cost to re-do the system was around $10K using brass.
The other day, this gentleman called stating that he had his back yard landscaped and wanted some more lighting in the rear yard. When I arrived, I saw the most beautiful back yard! Paver walkways to the waterway, arbors throughout, dozens of beautiful palms elegantly placed throughout the property, tiered stone walls surrounding gathering areas, beautiful raised planter beds...... This yard was the SH$%! After speaking with him for an hour, however, all he wanted was 10 more lights. I could have crapped my pants! I tried my best to explain that he had one of the most extrodinary properties in the state, but he was comfortable with just a few more lights. We did the add-on today, and I was absoulutely sick the entire time just thinking about what this property could be. This guy loves our designs, and hopefully (in this case) we didn't do such a great job because I want him to know what it means to live in his very own tropical resort. I know he is going to love the little bit that we did, but unless he gives us the go-ahead, he will never know what this could truly be.
Maybe I didn't do my job as a salesman on this one; maybe he was just too confident in our abilities. But I can guarantee you that today I installed a $20k job for $3000.

NiteTymeIlluminations
05-16-2007, 08:47 PM
maybe he never goes out there at night? lol

good luck...maybe a real good demo would do it huh...worst case scenario you'd have a greta a photo shoot

Chris J
05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Oh hell no, I don't do demos anymore and this guy is 2 hours away!

High Performance Lighting
05-16-2007, 09:19 PM
You can lead them to water but you can't always make them drink. Sit tight. When he's ready for more he'll call you.

Lite4
05-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Wow, what a drive for 10 lights. Hope you break even on this one.

05-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Wow, what a drive for 10 lights. Hope you break even on this one.

He did the right thing and has positioned himself for future work with this client and his referrals. After the landscapers dismal showing who else would you think he'd call when he wants more?

Chris J
05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
What's up Mr. Gambino? Good to hear from you. Yes, he'll call again.

Firefly, read the post again.... He is a $10,000 customer, and he just spent another $3,000 today. Even if he only spent $300, it would have been a good day. Get to know the word REFERRAL.

05-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Hello Mr. Johnson. Have we ever met?

Chris J
05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
We corresponded several months ago via email. I sent you samples of some of my documents, and you were kind enough to send me samples of some of yours.

05-16-2007, 09:52 PM
We corresponded several months ago via email. I sent you samples of some of my documents, and you were kind enough to send me samples of some of yours.

Ah yes I do remember. I remember being the last to send an e-mail and never heard back. I had wondered if something had happened to you or if it was something I said and you realized you were conversing with a bag of wind with little substance. Anyway glad to hear you're ok however I guess that means you realized you were conversing with a bag of wind so maybe I'm not so glad you're OK. Seriously though I've enjoyed reading your posts on here.

Chris J
05-16-2007, 10:27 PM
How the hell do you send PMs on this web site?

Chris J
05-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Ah yes I do remember. I remember being the last to send an e-mail and never heard back. I had wondered if something had happened to you or if it was something I said and you realized you were conversing with a bag of wind with little substance. Anyway glad to hear you're ok however I guess that means you realized you were conversing with a bag of wind so maybe I'm not so glad you're OK. Seriously though I've enjoyed reading your posts on here.

No, Just went through some bad times during that period. I appreciate every thing you did for me, and I want every one to know that you are a truly genuine guy. You are among the best in the business, and we all appreciate your presense on this forum. Please keep in touch.

05-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Not a problem Chris and thanks for the kind words. Can ya feel the love?