PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fert only and contract spraying?

MOW ED
05-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Just a question for you if you fertilize only and contract out spraying or let the customer find their own source to spray? If so what size is your company (solo op?)
I am licensed but spring time is so busy with cleans and lawn care that I have trouble fitting in the spraying. It would be helpful if I could have someone else do the spraying but I would like to retain the customer for fertilizer. I think it would be cost effective but I am wondering if any of you have experience with this? Did you retain most customers? Did you let them find their own applicator or did you contract with someone? If you contracted, what are the legal issues involved (liability, no compete ect. if any?) It gets hard to do everything with one guy and I am not against sharing the load. Thanks.

mkroher
05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I cut lawns too as well as treat them. Sure, the spring is a busy time, but you can't neglect your chemical customers. I have my mowers and chemicals on the truck at the sime time, so I treat the lawn after I mow it. I don't come back. Sometimes I might fert it one week, and spray it the following week.

If you are going to sub it out, the sub better be a VERY good friend of yours. Would he spray with no name on the truck? Would the sub under cut you?
If I were you, I'd drop some of your mowing customers that you lose money on, and do everything yourself, concentrating on better quality and service.

In connecticut, if you sub, there are rules/regulations you have to follow, even though you and the sub are both licenced. It's a bunch of balogna, but it is what it is.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Go to liquid fert mixed with herbicide and knock two birds with one stone.