PDA

View Full Version : Landscape design fees

landscape designer
05-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to lawn site and heard it was a great way for networking and learning about the business. I am starting to do landscape design and looking for a contractor to implement my work. The thing is, i don't know what an appropriate fee is. What is the going rate (per hour) for design services - or is charging a flat rate based on scale of yard more appropriate and if so - what would be a resonable rate? Any feedback you could give would be great as i am looking for that competitve edge in the business,

thanks

Dreams To Designs
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
The area will determine the price the clients or contractors will pay. In New Jersey the rate goes from $50-$100 per hour for design or consultation depending on the region. Most jobs for design only are priced at the approximate amount of time the drawing, meetings and plant locating will take. I have a price for installers I work with regularly and a higher price for client driven designs or one time installers. The design fees are reflected in the complexity of the design and client.

Kirk

PaperCutter
05-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Well, a couple of things determine your price. Market, as Kirk mentioned, is one. Another is what you bring to the table- what's your background? Are you trained in design, have you worked in the field, have you worked with other firms? Also, what services are you offering? Will you manage the jobs after the design, or are you planning on being done with the client once the final design is presented? Make sure your design agreement is tight and clearly defines your role. Clients need to be told- clearly- that your proposal is for "x". Anything above and beyond "x" will be billed thusly. I swear, I think some folks think paying a design fee means they bought a designer.

Treat your customers like gold, but be very, very clear about defining roles and expectations.

Fill us in on your background and what you hope to provide for your clients and we can probably steer you better.

Dave