PDA

View Full Version : Question about Pet safety....

firelawn
05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I live in Oklahoma.

I just recently started having TruGreen come out and spray the yard. I signed up for a year long program for 8 applications....

Today they came by and did a touchup with MSMA....

I was told by TruGreen that it would be safe to let my dog back on the yard after it drys, which would take about 30 minutes. However, I have decided that I will keep my pet in for 24 hours after application...

Last year I used some Roundup on the yard and I think that is what made my pet sick (very sick, causing liver problems) -- I'm wondering if people out there with more experience with this kind of stuff could advice me if 24 hours wait will be okay for the pet's safety....

Ann info will help.... thanks in advance.

lawnservice
05-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Your Trugreen guy gave you correct information. Once product drys is ok to let the pet on lawn (although we generally recommend 2-4 hours depending on the weather that day)

Many folks "feel better" by keeping their pet in for 24 hours or even longer...but not necessary. Then again...your pet may be sensitive so your judgement of 24 hours will give you piece of mind and keep your pet happy and active
good luck

unit28
05-17-2007, 07:11 PM
My dog gets sick any time she eats grass.

So I changed her dogfood to where she doesn't have digestive problems.

As far as the toxicity of products to treat lawns., it is labeld by the EPA
for a reason.

And furthermore, it should have a registration that is further indicative to what the naysayers suggest on what is allowable in your specific area for use.

I would have asked chemlawn to tell me what msma's msds consist of.
But, I dunno nuthing so maybe i am b wrong.

24 hours? just water the lawn before the green pup goes out again.

TLS
05-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Last year I used some Roundup on the yard and I think that is what made my pet sick (very sick, causing liver problems)

I highly doubt that Round-up caused your pet to get sick. It is one of the safest chemicals out there. Unless your pet physically ATE every leaf of every plant you sprayed. In that case, you need to watch your pet.

If you pet IS sensitive, I'd wait until your application is rained in.

RigglePLC
05-17-2007, 09:55 PM
The Federal Environmental Protection Agency, has laborotories test for safety to pets who might walk on, or even eat, treated grass. The dangerous products were outlawed long ago. The EPA usually requires a safety margin of 100 times. If your whole lawn were sprayed a hundred times you would approach the danger point.

Once it is mixed with water, the MSMA they use is no more dangerous than the MSMA you can buy as an Ortho product.

Spot spraying uses only about a hundreth as much chemical an an overall spray.

newz7151
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Once it is mixed with water, the MSMA they use is no more dangerous than the MSMA you can buy as an Ortho product.

In fact, from what I hear, once TruGreen/Chemlawn dilutes it, your tap water is probably more harmful.

unit28
05-17-2007, 10:27 PM
scientific test indicate the smell is more harmful.
A dogs nose is more sensitive than ours.
And may affect their breathing.
Just let poochy go out but then come back in until it's watered in.

Grandview
05-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Why worry you can always get another dog.

yardprospraying
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
We have several customers that have small dogs that have bad allergies. They break out in a rash from the treatment until it is watered in. We give 24hr notice to those type of customers, and they take the dog to board it for 1-2 days. Once product is watered in it is perfectly fine. I guess some animals are more allergic than others. Agreed with the above post, we tell customer once product is dry it is typically harmless, unless your dog is like a goat and grazes in you yard.
I feel sorry for you that you have TG doing your lawn. I'm not sure about the 8 treatments, sounds like a lot for OK. We offer a 3 and 5 treatment program, with insect and grub as an add on. If they are treating crabgrass or other grassy weeds with msma, dont expect very good results. There are a lot of other products that work better. BTW msma didn't get the epa renewal, so when current stock is all gone, they will be forced to use something else.
I'm not bashing msma by any means, but for our co. application, it doesn't make sense. 2-3 treatments to get rid of weeds doesn't make customers very happy. In other areas, this is an excellent product, and very inexpensive.

Good Luck,
John...

americanlawn
05-18-2007, 08:43 PM
This post was very enjoyable for me. I agree with all of you. Lots of humor in this one too -- thanks.

My best friend died when he was in 8th grade from paint fumes from his father's car paint shop. Nowadays, pesticides are developed (and approved by the U.S government) for use among huimans, pets, children, and wildlife.

Nice post! american

bug-guy
05-19-2007, 10:20 PM
pets are like people some have problems w/ chemical sensitivity and some don't.
puppies and kittens and older pets(just like people) are usually more likely to have adverse affects

Grandview
05-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I have a customer who expressed her concern about the harmful pesticides to her pets while she was smoking a cigarette. They had me only do the front lawn where the dog was not allowed. Had the father of a customer tell me the pesticides l used would kill me. He was smoking at the time.

unit28
05-20-2007, 08:58 AM
This is a guess, but a puppy is not more sensitive than a mouse.

I mean, the lab tests indicate that toxicity is low in msma in domestic animals.
Low enough that when the agant is introduced it only affected the lungs of
the subject. When the agent was removed the subject recovered 100%.
{non-fatal}

Now mind you, the test done was in a controlled environment.
So do not go trying this on your own.
Furthermore tests are done by the epa for toxicity not alergenic.

In domestic animals, arsenic does not stay in the tissues very long. It is partially methylated in the liver and kidney and is rapidly excreted in urine and feces.

Now, depending on how you're applying rate is, depends on how your pet should be introduced to your controlled environment.
I mean, follow the label. We do not second guess the epa....ever.

vegomatic40
05-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Glyphosate (Roundup) is both the most widely used and thoroughly researched herbicide on this planet. I stand with others in that it is highly unlikely that the pet was affected in any manner by this product.

RigglePLC
05-20-2007, 02:40 PM
An allergy is a reaction to a foreign substance--usually it must be of animal or plant origin. Usually it is a protein of plant or animal origin. Peanuts, strawberries, pollen, bee sting, shellfish.

Most weed chemicals are non-organic. Except that they contain carbon at times. The molecule is usually too small to cause an allergic reaction. No protein.

I could be wrong, but i am sure the EPA requires tests for potential allergic reactions. They can't screen out everything. I suspect they use rats or test animals known to be highly allergy prone. Can anybody back me up on this? Ric? Tremor?

Surely the Roundup people have been sued many times. I am sure their lawyers can prove that Roundup has never caused an allergic reaction. If you followed label directions--tell the customers they should sue Monsanto. Probably they have a hundred New York lawyers. Proably win thousands of such cases every year.

unit28
05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
But....
I thought the epa would reserve allergenic testing on food substance,
not herbicides. That's what I'm saying.....I think.lol!

TurfProSTL
05-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Holy crap.

Keep your dog off until the lawn is dry.

If you've got one of those sickly, allergic mutts, walk it the first day. Water the lawn the day after treatment and let the sniffly pooch out to its hearts content after its dry.

Period.

americanlawn
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
firelawn -- I count my lucky stars you are not one of my customers, cuz I do not get along with tree-huggers that offer no scientific proof or evidence when they have a problem.
Fortunately for you, knowledgable members have spent time on this post in hopes of giving you sound advice.

8 app's = ??? too.

firelawn -- your issue is with an approved product scientifically-designed and proven to be used safely around people & animals. I hope you will find comfort in this, as the E.P.A. is a very strict (and pricey) National government agency.

Parts per million herbicide counts do not even come close to what grows naturally. ( I truly believe you dog is allergic to a more toxic chemical found in nature).

I also truly hope your pet lives a long & healthy life. I got several too.