PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt-Motion sensing spotlights?

Lite4
05-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey guys,

I received a request today that was a new one to me. I had a gal who has a husband over in Iraq ask me if I could put some spotlights on the back of her house with a motion sensor since she is alone with her kids, she wants to know if someone should walk into their back yard at night. I have never heard of a 12 volt motion sensor, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I'm sure one of you guys have probably run into this before.

NightScenes
05-18-2007, 09:24 AM
A motion sensor is just a switch and should work on line or low voltage. You can also look into the Nightscaping Dominator. It allows for a motion sensor.

Chris J
05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Are you looking to control all of the lights (the transformer), or just one or two?

David Gretzmier
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
motions sensors work on low voltage? hmm...footlighters/pathlighters that turn on as you approach and turn off behind you, interesting...bulb life goes way up...hmm....

Lite4
05-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Just looking to control 2 lights.

David Gretzmier
05-20-2007, 12:27 AM
I looked on ebay for motion sensor, after sifting I am gonna buy and see if they work at low voltage. they might, as I suspect, need a 120volt feed since they are more of an active circuit than a photo cell.

I'm not sure. there are some battery motions that turn on led's, so those are not 120 volt. most are built into a fixture.

Lite4
05-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I'm sure there has to be something out there. Maybe it wasn't intended for our market but would still work. I'll try and do some more research too.

Lite4
05-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks Paul, I will look into the nightscapes product to see if it is the right fit for this application.

bumper
05-20-2007, 03:27 AM
just completed a job where 2 of the 6 lights were tied to a motion sensor. PM for details and brand name

NightScenes
05-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Have you seen the sprinkler heads that have motion sensors to turn them off when you walk by? They have to be low voltage.

Lite4
05-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Motion sensing sprinklers, Sorry I havn't seen those. Thanks for the tips. I guess new technology is slow getting to our area.

Mike M
05-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Wow. I just had a prospective customer ask about a motion sensor in the back yard (she hopes to freak out the armadillos). I stood there and told her I didn't know if they were available for 12 volts, but went on to say that the landscaping was going to look so good she would want them on all night.
Especially when they have a nice screened in patio with a small pool, with a new view to enjoy at night.

I also convinced her top go with a switch to control a little flood over her gas grill.

Even so, I'd like to see what Paul has.