PDA

View Full Version : 2004 48" Great Dane Problem (Drive Belt?)

Primecut
05-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I had the drive belt on my Great Dane replaced last week. Today I was using it on a lawn, everything was working fine. Then, all of a sudden the right side started to not respond very well. And it progressively got worse. It felt like something was slipping or something. The left side continued to work fine. A talked to a friend who said that the drive belt is probably loose and I need to tighten it. Does this sound right? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

Restrorob
05-17-2007, 11:38 PM
New belts will break-in and stretch a little, Re-adjust it and see how it does.

Primecut
05-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks rob. Its a super surfer, btw. How do i go about adjusting it? Do I take that back plate off? Thanks.

Restrorob
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Hmmm, Not being familiar with the Dane line I assumed it was a belt drive unit.
After pulling up a Owner's manual I see it's a hydro drive unit with a spring loaded idler putting tension on the drive belt (no adjustment).

As with any hydro unit make sure the dump valve(s) (for pushing the unit) are closed tight. If they are check all hose connections/fittings making sure they are tight, One could be loose enough to suck air but not leak fluid.

If both these are fine it may be a trip to your dealer for further testing.

If you don't have one, here's a link to a owner's manual;

http://www.greatdanemowers.com/products/supersurfer_opman.html

Primecut
05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks again Rob. I think I've got to head to the dealer today.

Primecut
05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, for those of you who wondered: turns out it is my hydro pump. They tell me I need a new one. $1100 installed. Mower is probably worth around $2000. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Restrorob
05-23-2007, 07:14 PM
J-Thomas has both the right and left hydro pumps for a SuperSurfer, But without your full model and serial numbers I can't say they will fit your exact unit.

Click on the order # BDP-10A-303 for pricing.

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/184.htm

What pricing did they give you on the pump ? And how much was the labor charge ?

MowerMedic77
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, for those of you who wondered: turns out it is my hydro pump. They tell me I need a new one. $1100 installed.

What exactly are they doing for $1,100? They must be replacing the pump and wheel motor along with a complete system flush for that kind of green.

Primecut
05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
J-Thomas has both the right and left hydro pumps for a SuperSurfer, But without your full model and serial numbers I can't say they will fit your exact unit.

Click on the order # BDP-10A-303 for pricing.

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/184.htm

What pricing did they give you on the pump ? And how much was the labor charge ?

Thanks for the info Rob. I have never purchased from J-Thomas before. Do you buy from the often? Good prices it seems. I will look up the exact model name and serial number tomorrow. They didn't give me the exact price on the pump over the phone. I know they will mark it up quite a bit and the labor is pretty expensive as well. I will probably shop around. Is it a pretty difficult part to put on yourself? Thanks.

Primecut
05-24-2007, 12:17 AM
What exactly are they doing for $1,100? They must be replacing the pump and wheel motor along with a complete system flush for that kind of green.

The price did seem high to me. I think they are doing a complete flush. Is that necessary? Also, can a hydro pump be rebuilt? Replace the seals or something? Thanks.

Restrorob
05-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Do you buy from the often?

I personally have yet to purchase from J-Thomas, But I have read on here of people that have and I haven't seen any complaints.

Is it a pretty difficult part to put on yourself?

Well, Me being a tech. and never replacing one on this style unit and after looking at the parts break-down it sure doesn't look like that bad of a job to warrant $600/700 in labor.

I think they are doing a complete flush. Is that necessary?

Most defiantly, Parts inside the old pump wore and caused metal shavings that got circulated through the whole system. The tank should be removed from the unit and flushed then the entire system flushed to get as much of the shavings out as possible so not to damage other still good components in the system.

can a hydro pump be rebuilt? Replace the seals or something?

With a new unit in the $350.00 cost range I would think it wouldn't be cost efficient to rebuild but replace and KNOW there would be no problems anytime soon.
If a unit is operating just fine but a seal starts leaking then a seal only could be installed.

Primecut
05-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks again Rob. I really appreciate you answering all of my questions. Obviously this stuff isnt my forte.