PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Swap Out!!!!!!!!

mcwlandscaping
05-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Well, last night we(buddy and I) swapped out the rear end in my truck (stock, open diff 3.83 gears) for an axle from his 1996 k2500 (locker, 4.11 gears). Plowing this past season with open diff and that gear ratio SUCKED, so, that's why we are doing this! The front end will be done in the next couple of weeks so i can use my 4*4 again. I will get pics once it stops raining, But i cleaned up the whole axle up, repainted it jet black and got a chrome diff. cover for it. This thing is gonna last a long time. When we opened up the drums, they were in AWESOME condition. I have yet to take a real drive with it as we finished at 12:15 in the morning, so i just drove it home and fell asleep!!

Overall, I think i'm going to be VERY happy with the increased power and traction in the rear end......only down side is the lower gas mileage, but, my customers pay for the gas :)

RedMax Man
05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
That's cool. did you get your new tires or wheels?

mcwlandscaping
05-18-2007, 06:57 PM
That's cool. did you get your new tires or wheels?
Not yet, new tires are going to come later in the year, maybe next month as these are getting shaky as far as ability to pass inspection. I have no need for super traction tires in the non plowing months, so, the longer i can wait until winter the better.

mcwlandscaping
05-19-2007, 07:40 PM
A few pics i snapped while it was just drizzling, the diff cover needs cleaned :)

Petr51488
05-19-2007, 11:57 PM
did you add a couple leaf springs too?

mcwlandscaping
05-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Nope, that's how it was when i bought it, with six, it may have a few more than normal since it has the camper package on there.........i could still use a few more leafs!

South Florida Lawns
07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
those tires look bald or maybe thats just the angle lol. but the rear end looks great and very clean. I just priced new goodyear wrangler silent armors and they were $250 each, ouch. but then again thats for 32's on a 20" rim. guess I'm just gonna go with another set of Eagle LS 2's.

BTW i think a set of BFG All terrains would look great on your truck as well as great 4x4 tire