PDA

View Full Version : Homelite Trimlite starts but then dies

hollow
05-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi,

I have a Homelite Trimlite (weedeater). It has three choke levels A,B and C.

I am supposed to put it on A, hold down the throttle, then pull the starter cord 3x. Then, I am supposed to put it on B, hold down the throttle, and keep pulling the starter cord till it starts. After a while, I am suppose to put it on C.

The problem I am having is when I put it on B it dies after a short while and if I put it on C it dies right away. The Trimlite will start, then I'll switch it to B and hold down the throttle and it goes, but if I move the trimmer so the engine is closer to the ground than the front, it dies, so I keep the front part down and the engine higher, and it stays on longer, but then dies.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

It use to work fine but for some reason doesn't anymore. :(

topsites
05-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Get a stihl or an echo, maybe redmax or husqvarna.

SLR
05-18-2007, 05:16 PM
yikes that is some hefty helpfull half pennies worth thar top!

Hollow;
Clean gummed carb,replace fuel-pump valve thingy,clean tank,exhaust pipe,airfilter,put in new spark plug&gas,possibly primer bulb replace..did'nt fix?...THEN..Get a Echo!

pugs
05-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Hold a contest to see which one of your friends can throw it farthest into the field....

Then go out and buy a Tanaka, Red Max, Shindaiwa, Robin, Echo...or some other quality machine.

newz7151
05-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Put in choke position.
Prime primer maybe 2 times.
Pull rope once, maybe twice until unit "pops".
Take off of choke.
Pull rope again and start trimming.

Don't know if this will work on your Homelite, but that's how it's done on the real gas powered trimmers.

Seriously though.. I feel for you.. I really do. Just keep repeating the process.

DJL50
05-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I replaced a stihl with a homelite like in the post ($69) that $69 trimmer runs better than the Stihl ever did. Got sick of having it serviced. Figured I would buy a $69 unit and trash it after the two year warranty and be money ahead. That trimmer is now 5+ years old. Starts on the first pull.

If what you have is a low cost unit and is out of warranty I would most likely be cheaper and quicker to just get a new one.

"You get what you pay for" but sometimes all you get is ripped off.

Marty1Mc
05-19-2007, 08:50 PM
I had a decent Homelite Chainsaw about 20 yrs ago, but their stuff went downhill like Pull-on-it (Poulan). I now have a 20 yr old Echo and a 4 cycle Stihl. Both are awesome.

To answer the question, you probably left the thing with gas in it over the winter. It is probably the worst thing you can do. The gas will evaporate and leave the oil behind to gum up the carburetor. Try pulling that little carb off and using some carb cleaner. Get all the little passages and the junk out of the main and idle jets.

hollow
05-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah I did leave it for a long time with gas/oil in it. I'll try what you said.

ranger350
05-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Also, check pump diaphragm in carb for hardening. Rubber should be soft.

SLR
05-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Pull-on-it (Poulan).
--
I love that!

corey4671
05-21-2007, 01:11 AM
they make em light so you can throw them far far away. Stihl fires up if not first time then second. anything more than that and its flooded. Love that first lick it hits!

EdTLawn
08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I had the same problem.

Make sure the 2 rubber tubes going into the gas tank is still attached.

On mine they were completely disintergrated with just the filter in the tank.

I got some 3/16OD-1/8ID PVC tubing to replace it and now it works, no that darn priming bubble also bursted. Need to contact Homelite now for the part.

echoman8
08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks PHIL, I picked up a post that taught me to check out the date of the first intry.

The thread is from 2007, but the message is eternal. Pay the price and get a stihl, echo, husqvarna, etc ...

de

razor1
08-04-2008, 09:57 PM
The problem with newer Homelite equipment, they have little or no adjustments on their carburetors. :cry: I swapped out an old adjustable carb for one of the newer "junk" carbs and my Homelite straight shaft trimmer has run excellent for 3 yrs. (now that I can adjust the dang thing)

Homelite if you're listening.......put working ("H" "L") adjustments back on your carbs please!

echoman8
08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi, there is more than the carb adjusments on a Homelite.

Please, it is hard to compare a low price trimmer with a good one. Do you drive a Craftsman (poulan) or a Husky.

No offense,
de

newz7151
08-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Hi, there is more than the carb adjusments on a Homelite.

Please, it is hard to compare a low price trimmer with a good one. Do you drive a Craftsman (poulan) or a Husky.

No offense,
de
???

Craftsman and Husky (assuming you are talking about Husqvarna) are the same.

topsites
08-05-2008, 01:51 AM
When it comes to Homelite products, their
performance is directly related to the price.

they make em light so you can throw them far far away.

Now that makes sense even thou I always figured it was because of the materials cost, but I'll take your version.

The good news is that when they break one can just buy another, they're that economical.
More good news is Homelite has done it again :p
And if you have ever owned a Homelite, you know what I mean.

razor1
08-05-2008, 04:04 PM
"The good news is that when they break one can just buy another, they're that economical"

I think that's why I bought one in the first place. We also have Echo and Kawasaki which are good, but when $69. bucks gets me 3+ yrs. of use, I can't complain.

echoman8
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
"The good news is that when they break one can just buy another, they're that economical"

I think that's why I bought one in the first place. We also have Echo and Kawasaki which are good, but when $69. bucks gets me 3+ yrs. of use, I can't complain.

You point is well taken. As far as the lower cost units go, Homelite is probably the best.

I worked for the local county for a few years. They would buy about 12 cheap homelites each year. The motors would be worn out after about 4 months of continuous use in this west Texas heat. I asked them to change their mix to 4 ounces to the gallon (32 to 1). To my knowledge, we never had another engine failure. The manual on these called for 50 to 1 mix.

At least under our conditions, the richer mix extended the life of the trimmers.

de

topsites
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM

I guess...
I never got any power out of those units, seemed like they would always run half throttle
but I'm not knocking Homelite per se, it's not a rip off if the price is right.

Just not something I would use commercially, not for myself.

SLR
08-05-2008, 09:42 PM
You point is well taken. As far as the lower cost units go, Homelite is probably the best.

-------------
And i say "weedeater" is the best of us cheap arsed customers.I only TWO since
1994, $99 a piece.

echoman8
08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Your point is well taken. As far as the lower cost units go, Homelite is probably the best.

-------------
And i say "weedeater" is the best of us cheap arsed customers.I only TWO since
1994, $99 a piece.

I have often marveled at the choices people make in their small engine purchases. It seems we, including me, buy a trimmer or chainsaw for different reasons.

I am sure most of us buy based on price alone. And most of us are just tending to our home, maybe also doing another yard or two occasionally.

Then there is the buyer like me who wants to buy one trimmer and expect it to last me the rest of my life and “will” it to my son so he can do the same for my grandson. Realistic goal? Maybe not. Some equipment, if taken care of well, will do this.

There is also the man who wants his machine to outcut or outmow anything on the market. The quality and price are secondary to the “nascar” potential of the beast he holds in his hands.

Sell a mechanically minded person a lower priced unit, and he will still be bragging about his $69 purchase in the year 2020. But if you add up the hours he actually used it in say Kansas, it is about 30 hours each year and 360 hours after 12 years.

Then there is the customer that is not really mechanical. I could sell them the top of the line equipment, and somehow they would figure a way to “screw it up” before the 1st season was over.

And last, there is the customer who weighs the cost, endurance, performance, service versus the price. Most commercial lawn/tree/landscape customers are forced into this category. After buying cheap products that die quickly and cost more in the long run, they want more for their money. It is not fun using the cheap stuff all day long, because the vibration from the unbalanced engines tire your arms and elbows.

A homeowner in a reasonably rainy area or a well watered yard will be lucky to put 50 hours on a trimmer in one year. A lawn care pro can put this on one in one hard week. Reasonably, in the south, the pro can put 800 hours on one trimmer in a year. The tree man is similar. On a small trim saw, easily expect 500 hours per year while the owner will probably average 10.

I have had customers brag on every conceivable saw. Quotes like “I have had that little yellow saw 12 years and it always starts”. Yea, and you have to ice your elbow after using it. In 12 years you still haven’t put 100 hours on it.

So, I feel that I have got it “off my chest” now. To most of you::: “thanks for letting me vent.” To police, CNN, investigative reporters ::: I am through rambling.

To Phil ::: I think I need to join you in the corner and stand there awhile. Ha!

de

Phil G
08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
To Phil ::: I think I need to join you in the corner and stand there awhile. Ha!

de

Excellent post, what an honest appraisal. Shoot from the hip and tell it how it is:gunsfirin

Oh, and there's room for plenty more in the naughty corner :)

atb Phil

SLR
08-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Echoman8Wrote:"Then there is the customer that is not really mechanical. I could sell them the top of the line equipment, and somehow they would figure a way to “screw it up” before the 1st season was over"
-----------------------------------
Just stray violently away from newer McCoul's..they are elbow-itis right out of the box.My expierence anywho.