PDA

View Full Version : how would you light this colonial?

ultra cut
05-18-2007, 05:40 PM
working part time with a landscaper in my area,were going to install lighting to this colonial home.How would you guys go about this install.I think the only area to light is the stone front.

Chris J
05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Design fee: $250
Paid in advance.

ultra cut
05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
checks in the mail

NightScenes
05-18-2007, 07:37 PM
What kind of dementions are we working with? Any measurements? How about more pics from other angles? What about the walkway? We certainly won't be able to help you much from this one shot and no measurements. You can do a whole lot more than just lighting the rock entry.

ultra cut
05-18-2007, 08:52 PM
thanks Paul,here are more pics,the walkway is 38'x4',the house is 60' long,Im thinking the fountain should be lighted as well as the stone front,corner cedrus tree and other landscape plantings.Id also like to light the driveway pillars.Thanks for your input.

David Gretzmier
05-19-2007, 02:45 AM
I keep looking but don't see a fountain.

I'd start with the basic "bread and butter" with uplight spots between the windows, and on the corners, possible cross light the peak if they like that, crystal 15-25 watt bulbs in the carriage lights beside front door and every 12 feet or so, china hat-type pathlighters ( don't see bulb, just 8' light circle) on bed side of walk. steer away from lights on grass side of walk. once basic architectual and safe walking is out of the way-

try to get a diiferent fixture over garage than a motion flood. good ambient lighting rather than prison break shock.

from there, finishes of lights( bronze, copper, verde, others) and drama are the homeowner's personality. what plants does he/she love? focus on those. if the fountain is important, where do they sit by it for water/light movement and light placement in and out of water, etc.

mention shadowing and get a feel if they like this effect. moonlighting or uplighting trees in the yard is my next question to homeowners. entertain much? kid play in yard after dark?

do they want dusk to dawn? or just dark to midnight? makes a big difference on life of bulbs.

ask them have they seen a house lit up like they like, and why. listen to the answer. try to provide effect but not see the source.

I only push the basics, then offer suggestions/reccomendations based on the answers to the above questions.

make out the consultation check to Brite Ideas NWA, c/o Dave Gretzmier.

good luck-