PDA

View Full Version : Favorite bluegrass strain?

Victor
05-18-2007, 06:27 PM
I was wondering what everyone's favorite strain of bluegrass was. Is it "Midnight," "Moonlight," or maybe some other strain. I'm looking for a 3, or 4-way blend of high-quality, dark green bluegrass. I'm also curious as to where you would recommend I buy this seed from when it's time to start doing slit-seeding jobs this Fall. Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks.

americanlawn
05-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey Vic -- I bet you're busy right now. We use a 4-way blend of Kentucky bluegrasses called "Blue Ribbon". The 4 cultivars are : Dragon, Famous, Guiness, & Rambo. Beautiful dark green color, and I see no variation in color, etc within the turf once it's established. We seed it from late August through September.
I heard Midnight gets powdery mildew when growing in shady areas.

Don't work too hard - hope you can soon start taking Saturdays off.

Tscape
05-18-2007, 08:58 PM
WHen I worked at Comerica Park I learned the 3 varieties in the field were Blacksburg, Midnight, and America. That is a fine stand of turf.

americanlawn
05-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Tscape -- are you finding powdery mildew on K Bluegrass? I'm seeing it now.
Midnight is one I have been warned about from my seed guy. Thanks.

Tscape
05-18-2007, 11:17 PM
No, I haven't seen any and it has been wet and cool here for a week.

Victor
05-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info on those blends Mike and Larry. I think I'll try those blends this Fall. I'd love to have a great blend on hand for seed jobs.

Grassmechanic
05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Victor - go to the NTEP website. Take your choice of the top performers -you won't be disappointed. Varieties improve from year to year. Most of the new KBG are quick germinators (5-7 days) and are showing better and better disease resistance.

FWIW - Turfgrass, Inc carries a blend called "Top Blue". It's a blend of 4 of the best performers. They are located in South Lyon, MI 1-800-521-8873. They'll be happy to ship what you need from there or one of their other sites near you

Victor
05-19-2007, 11:12 AM
By the way Larry. Things were really crazy until I got my new lawns under control. Now it's starting to go back to normal though. I can't imagine what you're going through with all of your customers right now. Don't you work too hard Buddy.

Thanks for that info about "Top Blue" Mike. That looks like another excellent option for me.

Shades of Green LService
05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I was wondering what everyone's favorite strain of bluegrass was. Is it "Midnight," "Moonlight," or maybe some other strain. I'm looking for a 3, or 4-way blend of high-quality, dark green bluegrass. I'm also curious as to where you would recommend I buy this seed from when it's time to start doing slit-seeding jobs this Fall. Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Poa annua Rules!;) Seriously, Blue panther kentucky Bluegrass ( Deep blue KBG) Brooklawn KBG is another.

Tscape
05-19-2007, 09:38 PM
The courts at Wimbeldon are Poa Annua.

Shades of Green LService
05-20-2007, 12:05 AM
The courts at Wimbeldon are Poa Annua.

Maybe i'll place a bid.

TAZ
05-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Victor - go to the NTEP website. Take your choice of the top performers -you won't be disappointed. Varieties improve from year to year. Most of the new KBG are quick germinators (5-7 days) and are showing better and better disease resistance.

This is good advice. The Ntep data has gotten much easier to aquire than it was years back. Some of the newer cultivars are compact/lower growing strains. You may want to evaluate what the current turf looks like and pick a closer match for overseeding.

The best thing that I have done is to talk to the local sod growers as to what they use. They usually have a good idea what works best in the area in terms of appearance, drought and disease resistance locally.

-TAZ

RigglePLC
05-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Victor,
good idea. You might as well use the best seed. First correct the reason for the thinness. Consider the area. Low maintenance.? Irrigated? But...in an overseed or slit seed situation...does the bluegrass have enough seedling vigor to take hold before the present grass overshadows it? Are you overseeding into rye or blue? Will the new seed be competitive enough? What percent of the old grass will be replaced with the new superior cultivar? ? Will you get dark green spots or lines? Low growing and dwarf varieties may not be competitive.

Myself, the top-quality bluegrasses are suitable for sod or a new lawn. For overseed or slit seed i prefer a top-quality rye. One of the dark green, endophyte positive, disease resistant types. Derby X-treme for example. Resistance to rust, gray leaf spot, dollarspot and red thread would be desireable. Try to get a blend of seed from among the top ten in a nearby area, or state. You may have to blend it yourself if your chosen best seed comes from two different companies. Act fast--the best seed sells out quick.

Victor
05-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone for some sound advice. As always, I really do appreciate the help. Thanks again. :)