PDA

View Full Version : Cicada applications in Midwest

FERT-TEK
05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Are any of you guys selling extra insect control applications for the Cicada emergence at the end of the month. How are you marketing it? FYI, I do not plan on pushing any unnecessary chems on my customers. If the information is correct treating one yard with your choice of insecticide will be a drop in the bucket.

Some of the research I have done says a typical infestation can reach up to 1.5 million per acre. Yea that is right, see segment of an article from Scotts company below. In short they are suggesting using their Ortho Max be gone or something like it.

The northern Illinois brood, which will emerge in late May 2007, has a reputation for the largest emergence of cicadas known anywhere. During the 1956 emergence, they counted an average of 311 nymphal emergence holes per square yard of ground in a forested floodplain near Chicago. This translates to 1½ million cicadas per acre.

teeca
05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
we had ours a few years back, the word from the extension office was let'm go, what ever you do won't have a significant effect and just pour more unnessary chemicals into the envroment. true green and scotts didn't even spray'm (thats bad!!).