PDA

View Full Version : "Environmentalists" next door

americanlawn
05-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Any complaints now? We're entering the season when the oddballs & idiots come out of the woodwork. I'm talking about the people who plant as much crap in their yard as possible. Their "thorney-ass roses" growing through the fence. Planting peonies and other "stuff they find at K-Mart" to throw in their yard too. Then they put their tomato plants & pepper plants right along the fenceline - often growing through their cheap chainlink fences.
Already we've received 2 complaints -- both instances have one thing in common: 1) The wife has no job, so she's home (and getting fat) all day long, 2) Their plants are growing through our customer's fence.

Our customers do not appreciate their next door neighbors cuz of all the crap (dog do do smell and the creeping Charlie coming through into their lawn). And much more.

Anybody having this "problem" yet? (if not - you soon will).

thomsoutdoor
05-18-2007, 11:13 PM
What no "Al Gore" 2008 sign?

indyturf
05-18-2007, 11:40 PM
I use to live next door to one! she was always telling me how I was damaging the environment and should use natural fertilizer.
Then she fertilized her lawn with seaweed kelp, I think she must have put it on heavy because her grass grew like crazy for about 2 weeks!
It was soooo funny watching her try to mow that mess! she ended up calling someone to mow it for her:laugh:
whats even better is now when I drive through that neighborhood I have seen TG signs in the lawn!

LindblomRJ
05-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Had one a week ago. Was visiting with her, she is big on organics yada fraking yada. I had to ask, what are you going to do about all the dandelions in her yard. Never did get a clear answer.

cantoo
05-19-2007, 12:00 AM
We refer them to a company that uses organics. Then a week later they call us again" they are so expensive" I guess you can put a price on their pride. Everybody wants to save the enviroment but nobody wants to pay for it.
The one I like the best is " do you have to put the sign on the front I don't want the neighbours to know we use chemicals" Let's see their lawn is covered in weeds and your is clean, are they blind, are they stupid. PS it's the law, you can remove it after we leave but I'm putting it on.

hughmcjr
05-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Any complaints now? We're entering the season when the oddballs & idiots come out of the woodwork. I'm talking about the people who plant as much crap in their yard as possible. Their "thorney-ass roses" growing through the fence. Planting peonies and other "stuff they find at K-Mart" to throw in their yard too. Then they put their tomato plants & pepper plants right along the fenceline - often growing through their cheap chainlink fences.
Already we've received 2 complaints -- both instances have one thing in common: 1) The wife has no job, so she's home (and getting fat) all day long, 2) Their plants are growing through our customer's fence.

Our customers do not appreciate their next door neighbors cuz of all the crap (dog do do smell and the creeping Charlie coming through into their lawn). And much more.

Anybody having this "problem" yet? (if not - you soon will).

You mean people are living life differently from how you and others want them to or believe they SHOULD be living? Oh the humanity! For shame. How dare they think they live in a FREE country and exhibit different ideals from yours and mine.

I may agree with you, but whether I do or not, if I think that the way I think is the only way or correct way and everyone else is screwed then I have lost focus on the reality of life which is that I am not alone and others wants and views within common sense and reason are just as valid.

mkroher
05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
...The one I like the best is " do you have to put the sign on the front I don't want the neighbours to know we use chemicals" Let's see their lawn is covered in weeds and your is clean, are they blind, are they stupid. PS it's the law, you can remove it after we leave but I'm putting it on.

You have customers that remove the signs? I have some people that when I show up to service the lawn again....the old sign is STILL up! Well sometimes the sign blows away, and the stick is still there...chillin like a villin under the mailbox. Laziness? or Blindness?

NattyLawn
05-19-2007, 09:23 AM
You mean people are living life differently from how you and others want them to or believe they SHOULD be living? Oh the humanity! For shame. How dare they think they live in a FREE country and exhibit different ideals from yours and mine.

I may agree with you, but whether I do or not, if I think that the way I think is the only way or correct way and everyone else is screwed then I have lost focus on the reality of life which is that I am not alone and others wants and views within common sense and reason are just as valid.

Good post hugh. If someone doesn't want Chaser Ultra II dumped on their lawn a bunch of times a year they should be forced to for the sake of their neighbors. I love how most of the older applicators on here pigeon hole organics users as fat, lazy and crazy and leave it at that. Here's the thing I have found over the last few years. People that are interested in organic services are far more knowledgable than your average chemical customer, and they understand what they have to do to get a nice lawn. Mow at least 3 inches? Check. Overseed to fill in bare areas and crowd out weeds? Check. Get a soil test because organics are building the soil? Check.

Honestly, the weed infested neighbors are probably golfers or people that hate to mow the lawn. Mr Jones worked 60 hours the past week and mowing the lawn on Sat is one of his hated chores. That's why it's mowed at 1.5 inches every week, weed infested and looks awful. Maybe they can't afford lawn services because the wife stays home with the kids. But to make generalizations about customers is pretty stupid imo because they make your techs do a little extra work. They shouldn't be blasting fencelines with weed control if they see tomato plants growing through it. It's common sense, and it seems just like the old "PG not killing small broadleafs" threads that americanlawn just doesn't get it. For as much ass kissing as you do on this site, behind it all is an older, biased owner/manager who pushes his techs too hard (or hires idiots) who can't hop off their machines and backpack fencelinces/curbstrips or any other area the machine can't get too. Instead of blasting the crazy environmentalists, maybe the hard core chemical applicators need to look at themselves, what they're applying and it's effects on the the world around them. It's not all just about a green, weed free lawn folks.

upidstay
05-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I have found that most of the organics using people are hypocrites. I have a customer's neighbor (and an anti-pesticide nazi)who lives in a huge house that is constantly climate controlled, bombs around in a Cadilac Escalade, AC on all the time. Yet she feels ok about herself because she writes her donation checks to the Sierra Club on recycled paper checks. And her lawn is weed and insect free because she buys the crap her lawn guy is selling her that Talstar is Organic based. Apparently the weed control (smells like Momentum Fx2 and Drive to me) is organic too. I worked for an "organic" outfit that would go through 3 mini-drums of Dimension WSP and 4 mini's of Merit every year. I personally applied 20lbs of Drive 75 and 5 cases of Confront (when it was still labeled for residentials) in 3 months there. I quit in disgust over lying to customers. And this guy is widely regawrded in the organics market.

I believe in organic ferts. Use them on my own lawn with great results. I use chemicals. I don't do blanket apps unless the INDIVIDUAL lawn warrants it. If I see a weed, I spray it. Pulling it up doesn't work. I do soil tests, and lime regularly, as needed. I always recomend aeration and proper mowing and irrigation. Most of the people out there won't pay for proper lawn maintenance, let alone organic ferts. Chemicals are a necessary part of lawn maintenance. Here in CT., if you want a nice lawn, you have to use some chemicals. Period. The key is using them intelligently. Organics work IF you have good soil to begin with. Unfortunately, home builders strip away the good soil, leaving crap behind. Which means that if you don't have the $$ to lay 6+ inches of top soil down, you HAVE TO USE SYNTHETIC FERTS. Organics will eventually build up the bad soil, but that can take years and years. Now, one of my biggest beefs about this site is the sniping. Lets quit being catty little bi^&*es and share information.

garydale
05-19-2007, 02:08 PM
There is room for all philosophies on the enviroment. Just stop the god awfull preaching.

Organic root will not feed the world and the control product route will not kill the earth.

Extremists in both camps are a$$holes.

americanlawn
07-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Nuther one. Customer called in earlier this week saying he was cancelling his service. Our office immediately took the cancellation over the phone . The guy said "What?...don't you want to know why I am cancelling?". Our office said, "No, it's your privelage". (i.e. it's always the customer's choice) We have no telemarketers. No salemen. What we do have is the most seasoned staff (in this region) along with a graduate horticulturist with over 30 years experience. We always offer FREE service calls in case somebody "has a problem", plus we guarantee what we do. 3 days later, our office received a very nasty note in the mail from this guy stating that he was "offended" because our office did not ask why he cancelled. Seems the best way to p$ss off a cutomer that tries to redirect blame onto his lawn care company (cuz he ain't doing his part) is to "just say yes". We offered free service calls from a grad hort, but this guy refused. We also offered ISU soil tests..again the guy refused. It was then that we relized that this guy had more probs than just his lawn. Yep -- they're coming out of the woodwork now for sure.

txgrassguy
07-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Here in Central Texas tree huggers and "environmentalists" abound.
I am occasionally badgered by one or the other while working and I delight in yanking their chains as much as possible.
A couple of quick stories:
1. A few weeks ago I was trimming several mature Pecan trees for my girlfriend at her house. People walking by wearing sandals with their dogs on leashes with idiotic bandannas and cutesy collars. One couple stops and begin to berate me for using a "dirty air polluting chain saw". While squawking at me their dog runs around them binding them up with the leash and they trip and fall down when their dog absolutely freaks when it spots my female black lab lying under my truck. When they started in on me I reply with my standard "No habla englees senior" and the look I get is absolutely priceless. Then my girlfriend comes out of her house with a cold beer for me, spots these people falling ass over tea kettle because of their dog and starts laughing. When I thank her for the beer, the guy says to me he thought I only spoke Spanish. My girlfriend starts laughing even harder at them. Then these people get real mad and say to her about how I am "polluting" the environment. She actually laughed harder and says that I know more about the environment because of my graduate degree in Turfgrass Agronomy and what does this chump know? Turns out he is a computer geek so I spent the better part of twenty minutes educating this dope about the heavy metals and pollutants the computer industry generates which is far and away more damaging than my chain saw. Come to find out his wife won't even let him use a powered saw because he has hurt himself in the past with one - and here they are badgering me while I have my arm guards, helmet with face shield and chaps on. Go figure.
2. I'm in a gas station filling up my spray tank fuel tank when another one of these "environmentalists" starts in on me about pesticides and their dangers. Instantly I know that whatever I say this broad is going to argue so I start stuttering and drooling - I mean I had a good amount of spit running down my chin. This woman stares at me horrified and asks if I am okay. I finally manage to mutter that the fumes from the tank got to me and she had better stay up wind. She freaks and starts to run back to her car, my girlfriend sticks her head out of the truck window and asks me what is going on. When I explain she starts laughing and walks over to where this lady is frantically trying to get into her car and politely tells her I was yanking her chain because There Was No Chemicals In the Tank - Nothing At All! To make things even better this lady gets so made at me she peels out of the parking lot and cuts off a local cop who pulls her over. The last I saw he had a citation book in his hand when we drove by.
My gf and I were at dinner the other night when she told me one of the things she really likes about me is my wicked sense of humor. That and the fact I haven't given up on trying to lick my eyebrows too:clapping:

ampeg76
07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
nothing wrong with being enviromentally concious:)

i think it is way better to have trained, knowledgable, professionals applying products correctly, then joe smoe's applying "x" chemical at 3 times the rate because, "MIX MORE MAKE IT MUCH STRONGER, OOGA BOOGA!" lol

i had one incident happen to me, i was spot spraying for some chinchbugs, a young girl walking with her mom says, "whats the man doing mom?", mom says, "hes helping to kill our enviroment!", not much i could say, my customer was on the patio, kinda pissed me off!

i really wanted to take the lady aside and explain the benefits of healthy turf, trees, and ornamentals!

lowerd cooling costs(both trees and turf aid in this, can lower temps around your house substantially) and also provides fresh oxygen, a 3,000 to 4,000 sqft lawn can provide enough air for a 3 family household!

topsites
07-06-2007, 09:57 PM
2. I'm in a gas station filling up my spray tank fuel tank when another one of these "environmentalists" starts in on me about pesticides and their dangers.

Yup, if it ain't that it's some other comedy, so I got on Fleet Fuel (only company vehicles gas up at fleet fuel stations).

Instantly I know that whatever I say this broad is going to argue so I start stuttering and drooling - I mean I had a good amount of spit running down my chin.

:laugh: Yeah that crap works good!
I usually go "unnnngggghhhh" and the drool is good but a totally ******ed and dumb look is what I use, then walk over to them like I got central nervous system disorders. You know, get the shakes and hands and feet and the whole body don't wanna act right, good ole case of the heebie jeebies, totally fixes the problem.

And they do freak out or they walk away like ewww omg, if nothing else they sure leave me alone.
Nothing works better or faster, one of the best tricks I ever learned.

LindblomRJ
07-06-2007, 10:09 PM
nothing wrong with being enviromentally concious:)

i think it is way better to have trained, knowledgable, professionals applying products correctly, then joe smoe's applying "x" chemical at 3 times the rate because, "MIX MORE MAKE IT MUCH STRONGER, OOGA BOOGA!" lol

i had one incident happen to me, i was spot spraying for some chinchbugs, a young girl walking with her mom says, "whats the man doing mom?", mom says, "hes helping to kill our enviroment!", not much i could say, my customer was on the patio, kinda pissed me off!

i really wanted to take the lady aside and explain the benefits of healthy turf, trees, and ornamentals!

lowerd cooling costs(both trees and turf aid in this, can lower temps around your house substantially) and also provides fresh oxygen, a 3,000 to 4,000 sqft lawn can provide enough air for a 3 family household!

That is an inconvenient truth, for the environmentalists.

That and the fact I haven't given up on trying to lick my eyebrows too

Reminds me of someone who frequently likes to bloviate on the site..

indyturf
07-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a customer that has 2 environmentalist wacko daughters, they came out a laid in the lawn a few years ago to protect they "baby" trees they planted for earth day from my poison fertilizer!
That was probably 8-10 years ago and the trees now are to 10-12 ft. That is until their Dad cut them down! I wish I could have seen the girls reaction:laugh:

sheshovel
07-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Now wait one minute here let's back it up a bit and talk about these terrible people who do such things.
You said nothing about them being "Organic" did you? Do you think that just because someone loves growing flowers and plants and their own garden vegetables... that they are environmental lunatics?
I mean, how dare they attempt to hid an ugly chain link fence with greenery!
How dare they grow beautiful roses they can enjoy?
I ask you how can they possibly be such environmental idiots? What gives them the freedom and right to do what they please with their yards like planting a garden in them?
My god they should be hung by a new rope by the nearest tree! Tied out by stakes in the hot sun on top ant mounds!

Cut what invades on your client's side of the fence and do not pass judgments upon other people like this. Who are you to make such judgments against them anyway?
How utterly ridiculous you sound.

turfmann
07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Now wait one minute here let's back it up a bit and talk about these terrible people who do such things.
You said nothing about them being "Organic" did you? Do you think that just because someone loves growing flowers and plants and their own garden vegetables... that they are environmental lunatics?
I mean, how dare they attempt to hid an ugly chain link fence with greenery!
How dare they grow beautiful roses they can enjoy?
I ask you how can they possibly be such environmental idiots? What gives them the freedom and right to do what they please with their yards like planting a garden in them?
My god they should be hung by a new rope by the nearest tree! Tied out by stakes in the hot sun on top ant mounds!

Cut what invades on your client's side of the fence and do not pass judgments upon other people like this. Who are you to make such judgments against them anyway?
How utterly ridiculous you sound.

I think you have this completely backwards. Its not the green industry professional that accosts the SUV owner at the gas station and berates them for their choice of automobile, or the pesticide applicator that berates the neighbor for not controlling their dandelions, but rather the environmental moonbats that think they are smarter than everyone else and therefore pass judgment on everyone that does not see things exactly as they do, and more often than not, while doing the exact thing themselves, or worse, that the other person is doing.

My favorite anecdote, often repeated, was when I was at a conference in Nashville. The presenter was talking about some pesticide issue when Al Gore's name came up as a staunch supporter of all things environmental. This guy then spoke up to say that he was Al Gore's landscaper and in spite of his litany on the environment, "ain' t no dandelions allowed at his house". True story.

pesticide
07-07-2007, 10:26 PM
ive got a customer with a wackjob neighbor tree-hugger wannabe. read me the riot act one day about not getting my poisonous chemicals on his lawn. the customer told me the guy is a real nutcase about his all organic lawn and makes sure the neighborhood knows about his all natural approach to his immaculate lawn. imagine my delight when i got my customer to come outside one morning to walk out onto his own driveway where one could clearly see in the wacko's open garage door a gallon jug of roundup, a bag of that cheap fire ant crap from walmart, and a whole shelf of various "ortho" brand chemicals. hahahahaha so typical.

LindblomRJ
07-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Nothing against organics. However there is no federal regulation relating to labeling of products as organic. Nothing against wanting to hide the chain link fences.

americanlawn
07-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Good post hugh. If someone doesn't want Chaser Ultra II dumped on their lawn a bunch of times a year they should be forced to for the sake of their neighbors. I love how most of the older applicators on here pigeon hole organics users as fat, lazy and crazy and leave it at that. Here's the thing I have found over the last few years. People that are interested in organic services are far more knowledgable than your average chemical customer, and they understand what they have to do to get a nice lawn. Mow at least 3 inches? Check. Overseed to fill in bare areas and crowd out weeds? Check. Get a soil test because organics are building the soil? Check.

Honestly, the weed infested neighbors are probably golfers or people that hate to mow the lawn. Mr Jones worked 60 hours the past week and mowing the lawn on Sat is one of his hated chores. That's why it's mowed at 1.5 inches every week, weed infested and looks awful. Maybe they can't afford lawn services because the wife stays home with the kids. But to make generalizations about customers is pretty stupid imo because they make your techs do a little extra work. They shouldn't be blasting fencelines with weed control if they see tomato plants growing through it. It's common sense, and it seems just like the old "PG not killing small broadleafs" threads that americanlawn just doesn't get it. For as much ass kissing as you do on this site, behind it all is an older, biased owner/manager who pushes his techs too hard (or hires idiots) who can't hop off their machines and backpack fencelinces/curbstrips or any other area the machine can't get too. Instead of blasting the crazy environmentalists, maybe the hard core chemical applicators need to look at themselves, what they're applying and it's effects on the the world around them. It's not all just about a green, weed free lawn folks.

Hey dude -- I don't know why you stray from the subject in order to make fun of me.
"people that are interested in organic services are far more knowledgable than your average "chemical" customer...........I say just the opposite. Plus, organics are chemicals too (duh). They are often more unsafe, contain contaminents, smell bad, and too often high amounts are needed.
"blasting fencelines".........come on now.
"tomato plants" ........ duh
"PG not killing small leaf weeds"..........ours does (duh)
"ass kissing"........does this post look like I'm ass kissing????????
"pushes techs too hard".........okay..maybe 35 hours a week is too much--I'll try to do better.
"hire idiots"........I'll pass this on to my team members - thanks for the objective comment.
"it's not all about green & weed-free lawn" -- okay....what kind of lawn do your propose? Do you have a yellow page ad that recommends otherwise??

txgrassguy ---------you made me spit up my beer!!! Now I wish I had never moved away from San Antonio....Your post was AWESOME!!! I toally enjoyed All the rest too (except for the two 'exceptions'). Thanks guys -- I hope you're not keeping track of me on this site like NattyLawn is, cuz I didn't realize this was the purpose of this site?? LOL Thanks aga:laugh: in guys - I hope more posts will be entered under this topic, cuz it'a GOOD one!

TurfProSTL
07-10-2007, 03:08 AM
There is room for all philosophies on the enviroment. Just stop the god awfull preaching.

Organic root will not feed the world and the control product route will not kill the earth.

Extremists in both camps are a$$holes.
:clapping:

NattyLawn
07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey dude -- I don't know why you stray from the subject in order to make fun of me.
"people that are interested in organic services are far more knowledgable than your average "chemical" customer...........I say just the opposite. Plus, organics are chemicals too (duh). They are often more unsafe, contain contaminents, smell bad, and too often high amounts are needed.
"blasting fencelines".........come on now.
"tomato plants" ........ duh
"PG not killing small leaf weeds"..........ours does (duh)
"ass kissing"........does this post look like I'm ass kissing????????
"pushes techs too hard".........okay..maybe 35 hours a week is too much--I'll try to do better.
"hire idiots"........I'll pass this on to my team members - thanks for the objective comment.
"it's not all about green & weed-free lawn" -- okay....what kind of lawn do your propose? Do you have a yellow page ad that recommends otherwise??

txgrassguy ---------you made me spit up my beer!!! Now I wish I had never moved away from San Antonio....Your post was AWESOME!!! I toally enjoyed All the rest too (except for the two 'exceptions'). Thanks guys -- I hope you're not keeping track of me on this site like NattyLawn is, cuz I didn't realize this was the purpose of this site?? LOL Thanks aga:laugh: in guys - I hope more posts will be entered under this topic, cuz it'a GOOD one!

My post is almost 2 months old.

I just think it's weak that you generalize other people who don't believe in or practice the same things you do. If you read my post, there could be thousands of reasons why people don't have lawn service, much less yours. God forbid they drive down the property value of your customers homes by not having weed control or Lesco fert applied to their lawns.

Just like a good Republican (you have called people Democrats in a derogatory sense in numerous posts), you pulled snippets of my post and tried to make yourself sound better and make me look bad. Honestly, I really don't care. Now that you're a senior member :laugh: the posts about killing small broadleafs have gone away, and now we're stuck with how much you love your Lesco guys and spraying weeds when it's 95 degrees. You have been in this industry for 30 years, but you wouldn't know that from the posts we get from you on this site. Instead of getting knowledgable posts, we get an old man who doesn't like when things aren't done his way or in his comfort zone.

LindblomRJ
07-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Just like a good Republican (you have called people Democrats in a derogatory sense in numerous posts), you pulled snippets of my post and tried to make yourself sound better and make me look bad. Honestly, I really don't care. Now that you're a senior member :laugh: the posts about killing small broadleafs have gone away, and now we're stuck with how much you love your Lesco guys and spraying weeds when it's 95 degrees. You have been in this industry for 30 years, but you wouldn't know that from the posts we get from you on this site. Instead of getting knowledgable posts, we get an old man who doesn't like when things aren't done his way or in his comfort zone.

Yup, that is one of the best summeries to date.

americanlawn
07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Today we got a complaint. Next door neighbor called our office saying our company truck leaked oil in front of his house (on the street). We immediately called our tech (via Nextel two-way radio). He said his truck leaks no oil whatsoever and was confused regarding this complaint. A few minutes later, we received a 2nd phone call from the "complaining neighbor".........he admitted that the "liquid" evaporated cuz it was water coming from the air conditioner from our vehicle. Jeeze -- it's summertime, as well as "oddball season". I really think these people need jobs....just my oppinion.

americanlawn
07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
My post is almost 2 months old.

I just think it's weak that you generalize other people who don't believe in or practice the same things you do. If you read my post, there could be thousands of reasons why people don't have lawn service, much less yours. God forbid they drive down the property value of your customers homes by not having weed control or Lesco fert applied to their lawns.

No prob dude...I can't help what my age/experience/education is -- sorry about that. Spent lots 'O money for college, but I admit I learned much more "in the field" than from college. If I offended you on this site, I'm sorry. I'm trying my best here to "make things right". On the otherhand...we do not spray herbicides at 95 degrees, and I don't push my guys hard. My political beliefs are mine alone cuz this is America. Today, I voted NO to a 1% tax hike in our 3-county area. You brought this up,so I figure I have the right to let you & others know how I feel. I don't like criticizing American tax payers, so I'm wondering why you "aimed your gun at me"? rscvp please (no offense, cuz I have Canidian thistles as part of my landscape). Wrong again you are? If not............let me know. Common sense rules.