PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet Zero Turn

sefh
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm looking to buy a Cub Cadet Zero from a dealer and just wanted everyones opinion before I purchased it. It was a residental mower with a 50" deck and 22 hp Kawaski engine. I see these at Home Depot and they are the same price but I was wondering who has one and how do they hold up and cut and if there has been any problems with them. The price is in my range and I cut 3.5 acres. They look like they are built pretty solid. I have been watching them on EBAY but in my opinion I would buy a new for the cost of one that has 1000 hard hrs on it. Thanks for your opinion of this.

lawnspecialties
05-18-2007, 10:51 PM
If all you're mowing is the 3.5 acres, you'll probably be fine for awhile. Remember like you said, this is a residential mower. It will be all but impossible to find one with "1000 hard hours". I doubt one would really last "1000 soft hours".

Honestly, if you're a Cub Cadet kind of guy, you'd probably be better off finding a good well maintained used Cub Cadet Tank. A Tank with 500 well-maintained hours will easily outlast one of the Cubs you see at Home Depot.:)

Ray Zorback
05-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Here is a post from a different thread by Jay Ray that may interest you...

The grease zerks for the spindles are under the deck. You need to rig an easy and SAFE way to hoist the mower, clean the zerks, and grease them religiously, probably more often than the maintenance schedule. Or buy a riding mower jack for a couple hundred. You are probably not going to want to pull the deck from the mower every time the spindles need greased or the blades need sharpened.

My neighbor has the Cub cousin (RZT 50") to your's and he uses an electric hoist. If you don't grease the spindles don't look for much longevity.

My neighbor's deck really throws and disperses the clippings nicely so he has his pull sweeper for sale. It takes a lot of time to go back and sweep a lawn. He really likes the performance of the deck.

dgfitz
05-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Maintenance of the deck is a real pain, those blades need to be greased
more often than they say.Cuts great though.You will love the Kawi engine.

sefh
05-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Well my property is 3.5 acres minus the house, garage, and pond I think I would be mowing about 2.5 acres in total.

capelawncare.com
05-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Actually it is not a cub cadet at all it is an MTD. They just use the cub name at Lowes and the Depot for marketing purposes. Same with the John Deere's that they sell.

Personally I would spend a few extra bucks, and get a commercial grade mower. I saw a pretty new John Deere 647A on ebay in MI for $4400.

A commercial mower will last you longer, cut faster, and give you far less headaches, then a Res. mower. However they do cost a little more. Weigh your options, and make your decision. Good Luck

GripB
05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I "had" a residential Cub Zero Turn that I bought at a Cub dealer. I'm a homeowner and cut approximately 2.5 acres. I had deck pulley alignment and hydro problems (may have just been a lemon, but it was in for repair several times). I cut my losses and went with an Exmark Zero Turn. Yes it was an expensive upgrade, but well worth it...commercial quality will last me forever, excellent cut, timely cut (less than an hour). IMO, if your interested in the Cub brand, I'd at least look at the commercial line (Tank).

weeble67
05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a Cub Cadet that I'm going to list on Ebay this week. It's less than 2yrs old and has under 90 hours on it. I have had no problems with it. It has a mulching kit included. Mine is the 44' deck with a 20 hp. Kohler. It has had all it's maint. done on it and I have had no problems with it. I bought mine a the local Cub Dealer, it's the Z-Force model. I can send you pics. if your interested.

ATVracer
05-21-2007, 08:54 PM
I have a 50" RZT with about 115 hours on it and no problems so far. The cut is great and it disperses clippings well. Strong solid motor does not bog down and I have cut foot tall grass with it easily. I think the mower is rated for 500 hours, if I get that many it will have paid for itself MANY times over. Mine has a 2 year warranty, I was thinking the new ones have a 3 year?

sefh
05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Well I just bought a Cub 50" Z Force this weekend. The price was right and I needed a mower quickly. I cut with it last night and it was wonderfull. Mine has a 3 yr warranty. Thanks for all you input.

eaglejrl
05-22-2007, 06:07 PM
I know you have already bought your mower and I hope it works well for you. But, I wanted to add my 2 cents for anyone else that may be considering a cub cadet. I bought two years ago a cub cadet z force 44. Nothing but problems. I replaced the spindles about 4 times even though I was greasing them constantly. I had to have the deck welded in several places. I just sold it for a fraction of the price I paid for it. It only had about 200 hours on it.

sefh
05-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I was told by the dealer that they changed alot of the design this year due to have problems with spindles and decks. I don't know if they just told me that or if it is true. I bought a lot of grease so hopefully I don't have any problems in the future.

LindblomRJ
05-26-2007, 12:35 PM
IMO a cub RTZ is one of the better made residential mowers on the market. Personally I am a fan of Cub Cadets. - the frist rider mower I used was Cub 129.