PDA

View Full Version : E-85

Rons Rightway Lawncare
05-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Anyone running this stuff in their trucks and or lawn mowers and 2 stroke stuff?

Gas yesterday here was right at 3$ per gallon for 87 Octane gas, but up the street a new station had E-85 for 2.65$ per gallon and I was tempted to fill up with that stuff.

LindblomRJ
05-19-2007, 08:18 PM
E-85 and even E-10 is not good for small engines. Its a good way to ruin a motor.

As far as vehicles, they have be be able to run E-85 (engines setup.)

Able to adjust timing ethanol eats the rubber hoses etc. Ethanol does not burn as efficiently as straight gasoline. Does not produce the same power nor will your vehicle get as good a mileage. If the savings is enough you might break even. Otherwise accounting for the decrease of mileage it is not worth it.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
05-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks Ryan.

I am surprised no one else had much to say, I would think that other parts of the country, the E-85 is more common and more people would use it.

LindblomRJ
05-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Around here E-85 and the announcement of a new ethanol plant are about a weekly event. I am all for using renewable resources for energy. There are some things I don't like about ethanol.

I do sometimes run E-10 in my vehicles. I have not computed the differences between the straight gasoline and E-10.

On your aircraft is the engine TSC'd for auto gas? If do it might be something to be extra careful about. Ethanol does attract water and will vapor lock at a lower temperature. Not something you want to find out on climb out.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
My airplane I currently fly is designed for ONLY autogas and it is supposed to be straight gas..... But it can use AV gas if needed on a limited use basis. I wouldn't buy the E-85 for use in it, as it needs premium grade autogas for the octane rating.

My truck says use of 10 percent ethanol is fine, but here they are selling it as a 15 percent mix with the E-85, I suppose it will be okay, and I was aware that the E-85 packs less energy so the gas milage might be lower - already only getting around 9-9.5 MPG so how much worse could it get!!! - Was mainly wondering how " BAD " this E-85 would be if I used it in my mowers and 2 stroke equipment. Of course I could fill up the truck on the E-85 and just fill my mowers and jugs on regular unleaded....

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Just in case anyone cared.... I ran a tank of E-85 in my Isuzu NPR and the stuff SUCKS!!!!

First morning after the fill up, I go to start the truck and it is slow to start and stumbles a bit at fire up, and the check engine light comes on. I disconnect battery, clear the check engine light, but each morning it is hard to start and light comes back on. During the day, the restarts aren't too bad, but not as fast or smooth as with normal gasoline.

fuel milage took a nose dive. Normally I have been getting 9.2- 9.4 mpg with the truck on 87 octane gasoline. With the E-85, and driving exact same route and way I normally drive I got 7.2 mpg. 2 mpg is not a big loss on a car that gets 30 mpg.... but on a truck that only gets 9, 2 mpg is a huge loss.

The Isuzu only has a 30 gallon tank, so it only goes about 250 miles before needing another fill up.... The E-85 was running close to empty before 200 miles, that means more fillups and time wasted at the gas pumps.

I ran the math and to drive 300 miles on either the E-85 at 2.65$ per gallon or the 87 gasoline at 3.00$ per gallon, the E-85 was going to cost me 10$ more and the truck doesn't run as smooth nor is that fuel good for the truck or the enviroment.

I think I will stick to straight gas from now on.

newz7151
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Just in case anyone cared.... I ran a tank of E-85 in my Isuzu NPR and the stuff SUCKS!!!!

First morning after the fill up, I go to start the truck and it is slow to start and stumbles a bit at fire up, and the check engine light comes on. I disconnect battery, clear the check engine light, but each morning it is hard to start and light comes back on. During the day, the restarts aren't too bad, but not as fast or smooth as with normal gasoline.

fuel milage took a nose dive. Normally I have been getting 9.2- 9.4 mpg with the truck on 87 octane gasoline. With the E-85, and driving exact same route and way I normally drive I got 7.2 mpg. 2 mpg is not a big loss on a car that gets 30 mpg.... but on a truck that only gets 9, 2 mpg is a huge loss.

The Isuzu only has a 30 gallon tank, so it only goes about 250 miles before needing another fill up.... The E-85 was running close to empty before 200 miles, that means more fillups and time wasted at the gas pumps.

I ran the math and to drive 300 miles on either the E-85 at 2.65$ per gallon or the 87 gasoline at 3.00$ per gallon, the E-85 was going to cost me 10$ more and the truck doesn't run as smooth nor is that fuel good for the truck or the enviroment.

I think I will stick to straight gas from now on.

Be advised that if you even "try" E-85 in your two stroke equipment, have backups with regular 87 octane, because you WILL lock up/burn up every piece of 2 stroke you have it in. Because of the alch. content in E85 it will wash your cylinder clean and prevent the oil from mixing with it also.

stuffdeer
06-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Well. I filled up my S-10 with it a couple months ago....

For Example, I usually get 30 mpg empty. Using E-85, I was lucky to get 20.

However, I noticed the opposite, my truck started easier and idled nicer.

Herrick
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Isn't E85 85% ethenol and 15% gas? If your motor isn't set up for it, don't use it.

EMJ
06-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Isn't E85 85% ethenol and 15% gas? If your motor isn't set up for it, don't use it. you are right right it is 85% ethanol and 15% gas. If you could run this stuff through your motor, why do the car manufactures have a special engine package for it.

KTO Enterprises
06-07-2007, 07:15 PM
you are right right it is 85% ethanol and 15% gas. If you could run this stuff through your motor, why do the car manufactures have a special engine package for it.

Alcohol (ethanol) is also very corrosive on aluminum E85 will fizzle out because people dont do enough regular maintenance on their vehicles as it is, With the added maintenance of ethanol people will quit using it.

Eric D
06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Iím all for the move to E85, however the vehicle or equipment has to be designed to run it. If your vehicle does not state it can handle E85 then donít use it.

As far as the fuel mileage, in a vehicle designed for gasoline the compression ratio is far too low to reap the benefits of E85. If the compression ratio were increased for use with E85 ONLY the mileage would be much the same per gallon of gasoline. This is what Brazil is doing. It works. Donít look for an overnight change to all E85, but it is coming, it makes sense and puts money back here in the local economy. I would love to see the US get out from importing of oil. Leave the money here! Then maybe more people would have the money to have their grass cut professionally!:clapping:

I wonít be running it in my Zmaster unless they come out with a kit to convert it. Plastic or stainless are needed for any place the fuel contacts.

Just my two cents on E85Ö:usflag:

Eric D